You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

One Month on a Vision
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Reviews -> Vision ReviewsMessage format

Teach
Posted 2008-06-30 3:22 PM (#12617)
Subject: One Month on a Vision

Visionary

Ok so I just got back from Maggie Valley NC where I racked up around 4500 miles in my first month of ownership. Coming off a HD RoadGlide the Vision is completely different. Here is how it breaks down.

First off its important to know the Vision and HD are entirely 2 different animals, both do certain things great and other things very poorly. Thats alright given the intended buyers are different as well. The Vision was actually aimed at the guys who would buy custom bikes but would like one that will tour. Its not aimed at guys shopping Harleys or Goldwings.

On the road the visions manners are excellent. Get her on the twisties, pop into 4th gear and just roll on an off the throttle, no need for shifting. Brakes are a bit rough and heat up quickly on in-town riding but on the open road she is fine. You won't drag anything unless you are doing something really wrong on even the twistiest roads. My average speed on the BRP was 52mph, the dragon the same, and if you really want a challenge take route 80 south in NC from the parkway to Marion. Let me know if you can maintain a 40mph average speed on that road with its posted 45 mph limit, lol..

Cargo space is ok, but my advice would be to get the luggage rack for the trunk. I had my raingear in a roll on the back seat for lack of anywhere else to put it. The stock seat is good but you will get baboon butt if you don't wear some UnderArmor on hot days. I used an AirHawk for a portion of the ride but mostly for Hiway miles. I've also installed a Utopia backrest for comfort. MPG was at 45 until the bike turned 25-2600 miles where upon it jumped to an average of 51 mpg. Power and torque also made a noticable increase at roughly the same mileage. Engine heat is noticeable during in-town riding and on open road around the lower leg and boot area, nothing extreme even on 94 degree days. I'm 6' tall so I tend to keep my feet to the outside and forward, my toes often resting on the front crash guard. This seems to take care of any heat issues in warmer weather.

Whats bad? Well in a nutshell the radio SUCKS!!! The first thing I noticed was the radio shut down twice when I hit a bump. If it was a big hit I'd have expected as much, but not on small bumps. Then the hand control would switch modes when the volume was adjusted via the bar control. Mid way through the trip the tune button on the bar control would only allow me to back up my Ipod selection, but wouldn't advance. Reception? Whats that? Constantly hunting for stations only to have them go out of range quickly. More to the issue even the WB had issues with reception. Most of the roads I travelled I couldn't pick up WB stations at all. Not a big issue until you find yourself on a 2 mile bridge doing 70 mph in the rain with 60 mph cross-winds that you would have known about had you had the WB. Lets not even talk about the "Premium" sound system that has the crappiest speakers I've ever listened to on a bike. For a 22k bike this simply isn't good enough.
Paved roads are a dream, but if you find yourself on dirt or gravel be alert. The front end weight makes the front tire hunt for a track and any tire groove will do. So you'll be fighting her a bunch. Rain groove, crack fill, and checkering aren't an issue for he Vision.

Overall impression is I love this bike so long as you don't need a radio for anything, you never have to run down a dirt road thats tire rutted, or one thats gravel.

One other note worth mentioning. Twice while leaned over entering a bridge crossing on wet road the front tire did lose traction and slide. The culprit was a metal cross structure both times but it is a bit un-nerving at 60 mph in a posted 35 mph curve, so just be alert.

I'd be happy to answer any questions or concerns this post may raise and the bike is scheduled into the dealership for the radio issue next week. Other than shooting the fricken radio I have no idea what they'll do to fix it...

Ride Safe........ T
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™