You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Oil
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Flatsix
Posted 2008-06-19 7:56 AM (#12069)
Subject: Oil

Tourer

Fargo, ND

Please don't banish me from the forum for this post as I have done a couple of searchs and come up with nada.  That being said, I have an 08 Vision and the manual indicates 'semi synthetic' oil.

My Questions are -

OK to use regular 'Dino' Oil?

Ok to use 'Full Synthetic' Oil?

Thanks for your Comments

Top of the page Bottom of the page
pollolittle
Posted 2008-06-19 9:26 AM (#12073 - in reply to #12069)
Subject: Re: Oil

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I treat it like my cars. Oil threads haven't been very popular here, they get a little love not much. From what I have seen and experienced and read here and other places, use the type YOU like best. So long as it is a motorcycle oil it should be fine. I thought I was using the Mobil 1 full synthetic but I got corrected letting me know it was semi-synthetic. The bottle states full synthetic, I'm not interested in chasing down the truth. I have used them all up to this point that I know of. Can't really tell a difference. Use the one you are emotionally attached to. Let me know what you think.
varyder
Posted 2008-06-19 10:35 AM (#12078 - in reply to #12073)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

pollolittle - 2008-06-19 9:26 AM I treat it like my cars. Oil threads haven't been very popular here, they get a little love not much. From what I have seen and experienced and read here and other places, use the type YOU like best. So long as it is a motorcycle oil it should be fine. I thought I was using the Mobil 1 full synthetic but I got corrected letting me know it was semi-synthetic. The bottle states full synthetic, I'm not interested in chasing down the truth. I have used them all up to this point that I know of. Can't really tell a difference. Use the one you are emotionally attached to. Let me know what you think.

clap, clap, clap

VisionTex
Posted 2008-06-19 1:09 PM (#12087 - in reply to #12069)
Subject: RE: Oil

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Flatsix - 2008-06-19 6:56 AM

Please don't banish me from the forum for this post as I have done a couple of searchs and come up with nada.  That being said, I have an 08 Vision and the manual indicates 'semi synthetic' oil.

My Questions are -

Thanks for your Comments

Oh boy and oil thread..........
varyder
Posted 2008-06-19 1:25 PM (#12088 - in reply to #12087)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
VisionTex - 2008-06-19 1:09 PM Flatsix - 2008-06-19 6:56 AM

My Questions are -

Thanks for your Comments

Oh boy and oil thread..........

Gotta keep things slicked up so we don't burn up... Sorry,  not trying to cause any friction.

Hope no one gets drained from these discussion. Maybe we should have a filter...

Just don't no one be a dipstick...

Anyone want to pickup from here and see how it will make it through the passages?

Good thing Victory riders have Oil Cooled Heads. Just don't need no blowby to smoke things up.

amessen
Posted 2008-06-19 2:11 PM (#12089 - in reply to #12069)

Cruiser

Belding Michigan
GROOOOAAAAN
golfer
Posted 2008-06-19 2:14 PM (#12090 - in reply to #12069)

Cruiser

Rotella T synthetic (blue jug), 1 gallon

Super Tech ST7317 filter

Both at Wal Mart, under $20 for a full change.

Trust me.

Edited by golfer 2008-06-19 2:16 PM
varyder
Posted 2008-06-19 2:36 PM (#12091 - in reply to #12090)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Out of oil, this post is now locked up.

Change of subject. What type of air do you use in your tires? Visionaire here.

okthenbye
Posted 2008-06-19 5:18 PM (#12098 - in reply to #12069)

Cruiser

Stockton, Ca.
The air for my tires is "rubb-air", I have a blond co-pilot on the back "airhead" and a loudmouth pilot up front full of "hot-air".
I used to be debon-air up to about my 40s but now just heavy-air and loosing my h-air. So much for AIR.

Edited by okthenbye 2008-06-19 5:19 PM
Big Vic
Posted 2008-06-19 7:44 PM (#12102 - in reply to #12069)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
I don't understand why oil threads are are frowned upon. Last year I spent $400 on Victory oil change kits and had to drive 150 miles round trip to get them. This year I switched to Amsoil 10-40 (what Amsoil recomended for Victory) and have no problems. I use a Puralator PL14610 filter and the washer I buy from my dealer in a pkg of 10. Net result is about the same cost per change but I do it every 3500 miles instead of 2500 miles and avoid the 150 round trip. Net result was a savings of $100 bucks and can buy it much closer to home.
Rebel
Posted 2008-06-19 8:33 PM (#12107 - in reply to #12069)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
My experience has been with the Kingpin and over at KEG (Kingpin Enthusiast Group) we have discussed oil at great length. I can tell you that the biggest recomendation has been for Amsoil and 99% of the people there who have used it love it and have had no problems. So much so, in fact, that the group founder became an Amsoil dealer to provide it to members for the best possible price.

I let my dealer do the services the 500, 2500, and 5000 services. After that I'll do them myself and switch to Amsoil.
Bubba
Posted 2008-06-21 8:26 AM (#12175 - in reply to #12107)

Cruiser

I can only speak to my experience. I have owned and 00C, 02 TCD and currently have an 07 Hammer S. I have used Amsoil in all since 00. Last year I won a a Victory oil change kit. My bike has not had anything but Amsoil in it since the 500 mile change. Used the Vic oil (in my Hammer) a couple of days ago. Only have a 100 miles on it, but it seems to run hotter and the engine noise seems to be much louder. I will use for the 2500 miles, but back to Amsoil for me.
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2008-06-22 9:20 AM (#12196 - in reply to #12069)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
Flatsix - Don't pay attention to the groaners, you questions are valid ones. As pollolittle pointed out, whatever you use, it should be motorcycle oil. Since Victory oil is a blend of "dino" and synthetic oil, I would use that as a minimum requirement and avoid 100% dino oils.
Many Victory owners have used full synthetic oils with good results and enjoyed longer intervals between changes. Amsoil 20-50, Mobil1, Rotella (blue) are the popular choices. I've used Amsoil on both my Victorys without problems. In fact I've noticed less engine noise with Amsoil over the Victory oil.

Oil Filters are the other part of the equation. While the Victory filter is good, there are cheaper alternatives that work just as well:
Bosch 3323
Puralator PL14610
Wix 51356

Other filter alternatives (but more expensive):
Mobil 1 M1-110
Amsoil SMF103
K&N KN303

divesharc
Posted 2008-06-22 9:22 AM (#12197 - in reply to #12069)

Cruiser

VA
Anyone know where you can buy Amsoil online? No local dealers (that I know of anyways) and I wouldn't mind trying it. I think I'd have to run it a few more than 2500 miles to justify the extra expense, but I'd be curious to see what the prices are. One dealer was charging almost $10 a quart. That would be over $40 an oil change not including filter. That's a little much for me, even though I do love the Vision. I've read numerous articles on oil, and the reviews are mixed. There is way more benefit to synthetics in motorcycles, but that's still a lot of money to drop every oil change. And as much as I am riding the Vision, it would be probably at least $150 a year in oil changes. Any help appreciated.
Rebel
Posted 2008-06-22 10:51 AM (#12202 - in reply to #12069)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
Go to the Kingpin Enthusiast Group and contact KingpinJim. He's the website Admin and an Amsoil dealer. He can hook you up with an online purchase.
VICTORYTCRIDER
Posted 2008-06-22 11:12 AM (#12204 - in reply to #12069)

Cruiser

Capitol Region of NH
I run Amsoil in all of my vehicles and just did my first Amsoil change in my Vision yesterday at 2800 miles. I go more than 2500 miles with the Amsoil. Depending on the riding I have done I may go as much as 5000 between changes. In my TC I would do it about half way through the season and again at the end of the season.

I use enough of it that I bought the preffered customer membership and get the discounted price direct from Amsoil. When I order it Iget it in a couple of days.

Edited by VICTORYTCRIDER 2008-06-22 11:14 AM
varyder
Posted 2008-06-22 2:16 PM (#12208 - in reply to #12197)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Divesharc I know a local jobber that might be able to take care of you if you'd like. Let me know and I'll get some information to you.

I'm going to be going with AMSOIL at my next change. I know I've made cracks on this post, and to all else that is reading, but I personnally have found AMSOIL to be a great oil, but never compared to other synthetic brands on the market. It seems everytime an oil thread pops up, it only serves to confuse more than help because there is so many different opinions. JAM, thanks for the first intelligent reply in any oil thread ever. clap, clap, clap.

Dispite any horror stories heard or read, as long as you are using a reputable brand, you won't really go wrong. Though I have personnally noticed when I had my Goldwing, it ran cooler and quieter using AMSOIL, than with the 50/50 oil of Honda. But the long time Wing mechanic said don't do it because it will eventually "suck a valve" using a straight synthectic, because he saw it happen only adds to the "what if". But then I remember, he's selling Mother Honda Oil but not AMSOIL. Harley says if you run AMSOIL, the clutch will be too slick to shift gears and so on, yet many riders have said they've never had that problem. So the bottom line Flatsix is take what you read with value and discard the rest. Thanks again JAM.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™