You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Belt squeal....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

autiger2
Posted 2008-05-22 7:56 AM (#10715)
Subject: Belt squeal....

Cruiser

Opelika, AL
Anyone else having a problem with belt squeal? Mine will do it... have to keep putting wax on the edges to make it go away...

It's been checked by more then one dealer for belt alignment.... belt tension... last weekend had a new rear tire... still squeals...

Currently carrying a package of candles in the saddlebag... LOL...

Edited by autiger2 2008-05-22 7:58 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
VisionTex
Posted 2008-05-22 11:23 AM (#10720 - in reply to #10715)
Subject: RE: Belt squeal....

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Well I had to go up under my Visions skirt again yesterday. Piece of wire in the rear tire.......second time I've had the rear wheel off in 8000 miles. First time big nail replaced tire @ 2500. Anyway on the belt.......I examined the whole belt and really looks good after these miles. Wiped off the rear pulley and took a good look at the front pulley, tracking in center of front pulley. When going back on I adjusted as per the service manual. Got it a couple week ago, good investment, if you like to tinker on your Vision. Since adjusting by the service manual I don't have the squeal that I used to have........but at time it is there. The belt still tracks to the outside of the rear pulley. I find that mostly during cool mornings.......so maybe that's something. Also, while the wheel was off I took a look at the rear brake pads, they are in excellent condition at 8000 miles.
DesertJim
Posted 2008-05-22 12:03 PM (#10722 - in reply to #10720)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
VisionTex - 2008-05-22 9:23 AM

Well I had to go up under my Visions skirt again yesterday. Piece of wire in the rear tire.......second time I've had the rear wheel off in 8000 miles. First time big nail replaced tire @ 2500. Anyway on the belt.......I examined the whole belt and really looks good after these miles. Wiped off the rear pulley and took a good look at the front pulley, tracking in center of front pulley. When going back on I adjusted as per the service manual. Got it a couple week ago, good investment, if you like to tinker on your Vision. Since adjusting by the service manual I don't have the squeal that I used to have........but at time it is there. The belt still tracks to the outside of the rear pulley. I find that mostly during cool mornings.......so maybe that's something. Also, while the wheel was off I took a look at the rear brake pads, they are in excellent condition at 8000 miles.

Tx-
I was recently very pleased when I checked my brake pads, still had more that half after about 10,000. I was think before I checked I would probably find them worn pretty bad. Says a lot with a 900 lb. bike.
RedRider
Posted 2008-05-22 1:52 PM (#10730 - in reply to #10715)
Subject: Re: Belt squeal....

Visionary

"I was recently very pleased when I checked my brake pads, still had more that half after about 10,000. I was think before I checked I would probably find them worn pretty bad. Says a lot with a 900 lb. bike."
Says a lot about the rider.
DesertJim
Posted 2008-05-22 4:00 PM (#10737 - in reply to #10730)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
BlueOx USA - 2008-05-22 11:52 AM

"I was recently very pleased when I checked my brake pads, still had more that half after about 10,000. I was think before I checked I would probably find them worn pretty bad. Says a lot with a 900 lb. bike."
Says a lot about the rider.

I forgot to mention that I have gone thru 5 pair of mc boots- those soles just don't last like they used to -
Teach
Posted 2008-05-23 4:36 PM (#10812 - in reply to #10715)

Visionary

My belt squeels like a pig when damp or wet. This is absolutely the worst belt noise on any bike I've owned. I'm also not too thrilled with the 30k replacement suggestion. I'm going to get some data on the belt and see if maybe some other belt option is available.
Does anyone have any idea what Victory was thinking with the belt tension check? This also has to be the most complicated process I've ever read. You'd think a simple deflection check would suffice, but alas they want you to buy another Victory specific tool.
sandman
Posted 2008-05-23 5:25 PM (#10813 - in reply to #10715)

Cruiser

rhode island
Squeel on my bike due too much slack in belt, adjusted per owners man. squeel went away. This happened after returning
from a trip. I adjusted the belt pretty much by eye and feel. Good luck

Edited by sandman 2008-05-23 5:25 PM
VisionTex
Posted 2008-05-23 5:45 PM (#10815 - in reply to #10812)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Proper belt alignment and tension is important to stopping belt noise. The manual has information for the belt tension. If you don't like your dealer's service I would suggest getting the service manual, part number 9921254. It also has a lot of other good stuff, a good read for the person who wants to know.
You don't have to buy the Victory belt tension tester, there are others. I have a Motion Pro which will work with all belt drives with a 10lbs specification, which the Vision has. You can get this tester at www.motionpro.com.
I don't know why you think it is complicated. After putting my Vision on the jack, it takes less that a couple minutes to check the belt tension. If belt tension adjustment is needed, that will require more time, as you want to make sure the alignment does not change when tightening/loosening the belt.
Can you explain why you think it is so complicated?
bobbybhb
Posted 2008-05-23 9:35 PM (#10825 - in reply to #10715)

Cruiser

CALGARY ALBERTA
The bike is great, the belts are great. The people who don't adjust them properly, not so great. Best to do it yourself. Practice makes perfect.
Cheers BB
Teach
Posted 2008-05-24 9:26 PM (#10854 - in reply to #10715)

Visionary

VisionTex, I assume you were referring to my comments? If so here are my thoughts: a simple weight on wheel deflection measurement should be all that Victory needed. Placing it on a jack, rotating for high and low, 10lbs, etc... are all far beyond what is needed. Frankly I think its all a bunch of bull anyhow considering the check doesn't account for rider weight variance, and/or shock setting, both of which will create a difference in belt slack.
I'll be adjusting my belt the old fashion way and see if maybe there isn't a better solution, and/or a way to eliminate the noise. Based on Victory's need to have already changed their recommended tolerances, I'm thinking I'll reach a much better compromise.
Don't get me wrong, Victory has liability to consider when handing out recommendations. Fortunately I don't have to worry about that, so I'm sure methods previously used will work just fine on a Victory.
Travler
Posted 2008-05-25 9:54 PM (#10878 - in reply to #10715)

Puddle Jumper

SE Florida
Several years ago I bouhgt a belt tension gauge from the Harley shop I think it was only around 20 dollars but it will help take the guess work out of adjusting the belt.
Higgy
Posted 2008-09-10 3:23 PM (#17783 - in reply to #10715)

New user

I have the same problem with belt squeal. I've had the bike back to the dealer 6 times and it is still squealing. I bought a jack and have been adjusting it myself. It works great for about 100 miles and then the belt tracks back to the edge of the pulley. It's driving me nuts but I'm not giving up on it! What frustrates me is the dealer not knowing what they are doing!
VisionTex
Posted 2008-09-10 11:13 PM (#17844 - in reply to #17783)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Higgy, get one of these, http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/view/belt_tension_gauge/ and the Victory service manual. This will get you to a place where you can adjust you belt. I have found that you need to leave the tension on the adjustment bolt on the end of the swing arm, do not loosen them once you tighten the axle bolt. Also, I have noticed that washing the belt and the pulley help. Good luck.
Teach
Posted 2008-09-13 4:10 PM (#17976 - in reply to #10715)

Visionary

Took 10k miles but mine finally quit chirping and making other noises. Victory says the belt for the vision runs about double the looseness (if there is such a word) as the other victory's. Mine had to be run pretty tight to get it to stop making noise.
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2008-09-14 8:31 AM (#18015 - in reply to #10715)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
I've received an email from Phil Ross who owns Super Max Products, a belt drive/pulley manufacturer.

He writes:

"My name is Phil Ross. I own Super Max Products. We have been in the belt drive
business since the early 70's and we make all of our belt drive products
with Poly-Pulleys. Over the last few years, we have perfected a method to
Over-Lay many of the existing rear wheel pulleys currently on the market. Nearly
all aluminum pulleys squeal after only a few miles and looking at a thread on
your website, I see that there innumerable people with that problem but no one
seems to be aware that the noise can be stopped by having us over-lay their
existing pulleys. The early Victories were machined out too far and couldn't
be over-layed but we now see they the later ones can be done over..Longer belt
life and no lubrication is required..www.supermax.net.
Thank you, Phil Ross"

Just thought I'd pass this on.

Jeff
Chief Waldo
Posted 2008-10-19 11:00 PM (#21133 - in reply to #18015)

Cruiser

Before I had my Vision, I had a 2002 Indian Chief. They also had a problem with drive belt squeal. I had my rear pulley redone my supermax. The work wasn't cheap, but it fixed the problem.

For those of you that are tightening up your drive belt, be very careful of what you do. When I purchased my Vision in July of 08, the owner's manual came with an amended page for belt adjustment specifications. The new specification is looser, with the deflection changed from 12mm at 10lbs, to 20mm at 10lbs, cold.

Making the drive belt too tight can create some major problems with the front pulley shaft seal and bearings, increasing wear and causing oil leaking.

Edited by Chief Waldo 2008-10-19 11:02 PM
Bearcat
Posted 2008-10-19 11:47 PM (#21139 - in reply to #10715)

Cruiser

Prescott Valley, AZ
I also had a belt spueal that was becoming VERY annoying but after two trips to the shop (first time they adjusted it, then two days later I was back), a bit of belt dressing took care of it completely. This is the first belt drive I've owned so I had no idea how LOUD it could get and it was really bad But after a little belt dressing was applied it is gone. Seems to me a five dollar investment is in order here, not much money to see if something simple can cure your ills.

Ride Safe, Ride Often!!
bigwill5150
Posted 2008-10-20 7:35 AM (#21147 - in reply to #10715)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
Jam, you ARE the man! I am definitely going to check into this. THANK YOU for passing this on instead of trashing it. I appreciate you giving us this info without them sponsering the site.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™