You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Metzeler ME 880s
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

autiger2
Posted 2008-05-15 7:12 PM (#10318)
Subject: Metzeler ME 880s

Cruiser

Opelika, AL
Anybody replaced their tires with the Metzelers? When I put metzelers on my TC, they were MUCH better than the stock tires...

I know devilboy went back with E3s...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Teach
Posted 2008-05-15 9:15 PM (#10319 - in reply to #10318)
Subject: RE: Metzeler ME 880s

Visionary

My opinion on Metz. First off they are the yuppy tire of the decade, they don't grip for squat in the cold and they pick up nails and other road debris like no other tire I can think of. You could not GIVE me a pair of Metz. Mind you I have no idea of your riding habits, but I tour.
I've run just about every brand at one time or another in my riding years and bar none the Metz was the worst. In fact they (ME 880s) lasted only 4 days before the sidewall bonding cover cracked and the dealer replaced them without question. Avons or Dunlops are all I will run. The Elite series have been around a good long time and have a great combination of longevity verses stick.
My advice is stick with what works and whats been proven. Now iffin you really wanted to experiment, you might consider installing a cage tire on the rear. Many riders are doing that with a variety of bikes with great results. As I stated this is just my opinion.
autiger2
Posted 2008-05-15 9:47 PM (#10320 - in reply to #10319)

Cruiser

Opelika, AL
As I said, my only experience with Metzelers was as a stock replacement on my TC.. and the ME880s performance far exceeded that of the stock Dunlop whatever it was...

I have no issue with the E3, just wondering if anyone had switched to the ME880...

I should surpass 11K this weekend and will need tires before the summer gets too hot...

Call me a yuppie... but my past experience tells me the ME880 is a good tire...
devilboy
Posted 2008-05-15 10:32 PM (#10325 - in reply to #10318)

Cruiser

Central Florida
replaced my stock E3 s with replacement E3s
two reasons..
E3s can be found anywhere in US at Honda Powersports dealer
I am told the metzlers grip better but give NO warning when they let go
I am not at the point in my life when I am looking for more suprises.
Most of my riding is not at max speed or cornering, so I go with the known quantity til I hear differently.
okthenbye
Posted 2008-05-16 12:09 AM (#10330 - in reply to #10318)
Subject: Re: Metzeler ME 880s

Cruiser

Stockton, Ca.
I've been running with Metzler for several years on my BMW and for performance they are great. Cornering grip is very good. Longevity is not their best asset though. Maybe it's my agressive riding style when I am on that bike but they wear out in about 4-5,000 miles. Not sure what I will use on the Vision when the time comes. For the type of riding on the Vision I will look for longevity and stability versus agressive riding and fast tight cornering.
Big Vic
Posted 2008-05-16 6:52 AM (#10333 - in reply to #10318)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
I ran Metzlers on my V92 and TC and agree they felt better than the stock Donlops. They felt better in corners, on steel deck bridges and concrete with deep rain grooves. As far as the Vision goes, I plan to stick with E3's as they feel pretty good and are available everywhere if I have a problem.
Teach
Posted 2008-05-16 9:31 PM (#10357 - in reply to #10318)

Visionary

autiger2, sorry if you misunderstood my comment, and I surely wasn't calling anyone a yuppie. What I was implying is that particular tire became the end all and be all for many MC's not on good reputation, but simply based on the name/brand. Some folks still swear by them, bu most folks I know who rack up mileage have given them up.
I personally know more folks who have gone down riding on that tire than any other brand. When its hot they stick like glue but when cold, they break loose very easily. For some reason, I think tread depth, they pick up more road junk and as a result get more flats as well.
The Vision is my first set of radials and from what I can tell they work real well. I also know I have run Elites on 2 GoldWings and several HD baggers. They aways seem reasonable on mileage, and I have never had a flat on them.
I did run a set of Venom X Avons with very good results on my 99 RGlide. Best tire I've ever felt on rain groove and metal grating. Only issue is they don't show any wear and then all the sudden wear out quickly. I suppose thats not really an issue either as they mileage out at about the same miles as the Dunlop.
If you are real serious about switching brands you could look into Continentals or as I stated earlier you might be the first to go "darkside tire" by mounting a car tire on the rear. I may do that myself over the next winter. I know of several bike models currently running car tires with very good results (Honda Valks, Suzi Intruders, Kawi Nomads). I'm not aware of any wingers that have gone with this setup personally, so I can't say for wings & the HD rear fender is too narrow.
Just food for thought.
Finally I am sorry if you misunderstood my intent/comments earlier, and if so I do apologize as it was not my intent. New forums, methods of reply and new folks for me to figure out.... T
devilboy
Posted 2008-05-16 10:53 PM (#10371 - in reply to #10318)

Cruiser

Central Florida
Curious what size auto tire would work on Vision??
VisionTex
Posted 2008-05-16 11:24 PM (#10374 - in reply to #10357)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Teach - 2008-05-16 8:31 PM

If you are real serious about switching brands you could look into Continentals or as I stated earlier you might be the first to go "darkside tire" by mounting a car tire on the rear. T

On Continentals website can't find tires sized for the Vision at this time. Metzler, Bridgestone, Avon, Dunlap have choices for Vision motorcycle tires.
edradio
Posted 2008-05-17 1:20 AM (#10379 - in reply to #10318)

Cruiser

Las Vegas, Nevada USA baby!
Remember the risk of running automobile tires. If the tire causes, or if your insurance company "determines" they caused a mishap, accident, etc. that you may incur, it is the end of any coverage on your bike for them at that event. And will most likely end your relationship with that insurance company.
That's why it's the "dark side"!
autiger2
Posted 2008-05-17 2:35 AM (#10387 - in reply to #10374)

Cruiser

Opelika, AL
VisionTex - 2008-05-16 10:24 PM

Teach - 2008-05-16 8:31 PM

If you are real serious about switching brands you could look into Continentals or as I stated earlier you might be the first to go "darkside tire" by mounting a car tire on the rear. T

On Continentals website can't find tires sized for the Vision at this time. Metzler, Bridgestone, Avon, Dunlap have choices for Vision motorcycle tires.

Continental doesn't make a tire for the GL 1800?? Vision is the same size front and rear...
Teach
Posted 2008-05-17 11:36 AM (#10398 - in reply to #10318)

Visionary

devilboy, Not sure about car tire brand/size for the vision as of yet. Only just picked mine up a few weeks back and won't be needing tires for a short while. I will be doing a little research though as soon as I get some of the bikes other quirks worked out. I'll post when I have more info on recommended size and brands.

autiger, as previously mentioned I haven't looked yet to see what else is available in tires. So if Conti doesn't make them in the appropriate size thats just one less option.

edradio, I'm sorry bud but I had to laugh at the insurance determining the tire caused a wreck comment. Valk riders have been running car tires for more than a decade and I have never heard of anyone being denied a claim based on a tire choice, ever. It would also be impossible to deny a claim based on the tire. Using that logic ANY tire other then that recommended by the bike manufacturer would place you at the same risk. Please don't take me wrong I'm not poking fun at you, I'm simply pointing out that argument doesn't wash. It falls into the same category as someones warranty being voided if they don't use brand specific oil, its simply not factual.
my recommendation for tires would be either the stock dunlops, or avon without additional research, but each rider will have to determine which they feel most comfy with. Tires choice like oil is an ongoing argument amongst riders, so go with what you feel best running. If we all did exactly the same there would be little need for alternative choices. Ride safe..... T
edradio
Posted 2008-05-17 1:43 PM (#10401 - in reply to #10318)

Cruiser

Las Vegas, Nevada USA baby!
I was basing the information about the insurance company from a thread I read last year on another motorcycle chat site. The thread got pretty heated, and some of the guys talked to their insurance reps, that's all. I suppose one could always ask their insurance company.

Their determination was that because a car tire is not in any way "designed for use on a motorcycle" blah blah blah. I've never heard anyone being denied their claim for it either.

No offense taken Teach! Just sayin'... that's all!

Now; I gotta head out of La Vegas to Kingman for a nice hot desert ride to see my dear pappy!

Edited by edradio 2008-05-17 1:45 PM
SongFan
Posted 2008-05-17 5:01 PM (#10403 - in reply to #10318)

Visionary

Memphis
Put a car tire on the back and kiss the twisties goodbye.  I've ridden a Valk and a BMW R1200CLC with car tires on the back and all they were good for was straight and level flight.  Fought you with everything they had in the turns.  Last forever though.
akabubba42
Posted 2008-05-17 8:46 PM (#10409 - in reply to #10371)

Puddle Jumper

You're not serious, right?
varyder
Posted 2008-05-17 9:31 PM (#10412 - in reply to #10409)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Help out stupid here, someone. I understand the logic of puttng a car tire on a bike to save on cost in the long run by getting more mileage, and probably much cheaper. But, why do they make motorcycle tires if a car tire will perform the same and get more mileage? What am I missing? If that be the case, why don't we put the motorcycle tire industry out of business.
Member No. 1
Posted 2008-05-18 6:20 AM (#10433 - in reply to #10412)

Cruiser

Under the Rule of Jedi - Masshole
Biggest reason, look at the cross sections. A car tire is pretty much flat as it "turns" thru a corner. On the other hand, a MC tire's cross section is rounded as the tire needs to "lean" thru a corner. There are other considerations to, such as sidewall stiffness, tread pattern, rubber compound, etc...
autiger2
Posted 2008-05-18 10:17 PM (#10462 - in reply to #10318)

Cruiser

Opelika, AL
Replaced my rear E3 with an E3 this weekend... damn.. I REALLY needed a tire... that sucker was square on 3 planes...
Teach
Posted 2008-05-18 10:35 PM (#10466 - in reply to #10318)

Visionary

autiger2, glad you got that taken care of. What kind of mileage did you get out of the old and what tire pressures were you running?

varyder, its a trade off scenario. Bike tires roll over the contact patch (roughly 1/4"-1/2", a car tire on a bike has some roll over at the extreme but for the most part relies on sidewall flex. It does have a certain drawback in that it requires a little getting use to but no more so than running a 280 rear tire. There is a slight bit more risk of hydroplaning (virtually non-existant on a MC tire contrary to popular belief) but a much larger contact patch (at least 4" but depends on tire)resulting in much longer tire life. So if you do a great deal of highway or touring type riding its a great option. If you like to ride the twisties you still can but anticipate a slight learning curve. Many folks run the eagleGT but I'll be doing a bit of additional researching if I go that route.
autiger2
Posted 2008-05-19 7:51 AM (#10482 - in reply to #10318)

Cruiser

Opelika, AL
The rear had 10800 something miles on it... ran 41 psi...

It still had a teeny bit of tread in the center, but after it was off the bike, you could tell the left side was worn from the crown in the roadway and it had a good scallop going on...

After the new tire installed, it rides like a new bike.. Amazing what a difference just a rear tire will make when it's worn...

Edited by autiger2 2008-05-19 7:53 AM
varyder
Posted 2008-05-19 7:55 AM (#10483 - in reply to #10482)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I've got 12,700+ on the original tire and still  have mileage left on it. I figure around 15k for mine, I need to start looking for a deal now. I'll have 15K by mid-June if not sooner.
DesertJim
Posted 2008-05-19 1:02 PM (#10498 - in reply to #10318)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
I just replaced with E3's also at 10,900. Really hesitated to do it because I thought I had some wear left, but after they were off I was really surprised at how little I had left. Small cracks, uneven tread left etc.

Vary - check em close! We need you around!
chahn1
Posted 2008-05-19 1:52 PM (#10503 - in reply to #10318)

Puddle Jumper

Glendale, AZ.
I replaced mine with E3s at 11,700. I thought they were ok unti I put the new ones on and rode it. With the old tires you could actully feel it slip. Money well spent
varyder
Posted 2008-05-19 2:45 PM (#10510 - in reply to #10498)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

DesertJim - 2008-05-19 1:02 PM I just replaced with E3's also at 10,900. Really hesitated to do it because I thought I had some wear left, but after they were off I was really surprised at how little I had left. Small cracks, uneven tread left etc. Vary - check em close! We need you around!

We're looking good right now. I've been down looking at them quite regularly and I'm surprised how well they are holding up. It was difficult for me to find the wear bars, I had to recheck just to make sure. It still has good stick, but I'm sure I'll notice the difference when I get the new one on.

devilboy
Posted 2008-05-19 4:54 PM (#10520 - in reply to #10318)

Cruiser

Central Florida
replaced mine at 9300 before long trip... probably would have gotten up to almost 11K...
running 40 F/ 40R all the time..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™