You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

We’re not “Vision-Riders” or “Vision Pilots” we are “Victory Vision Ambassadors”.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Indiana RoadRunner
Posted 2008-06-08 11:43 AM (#11565)
Subject: We’re not “Vision-Riders” or “Vision Pilots” we are “Victory Vision Ambassadors”.

Tourer

Dale, Indiana
We're not "Vision-Riders" or "Vision Pilots" we are "Victory Vision Ambassadors".

First I mean this in a good way and I love the "Vision-Riders" & "Vision Pilots" labels.

I say "Victory Vision Ambassadors" because after the wife's and I trip to the Smokey's that's what we felt like. Every place we stopped we had people come over and ask questions. Even little kids ask questions and point at us and beg mom and dad to let them have a closer look.

People who aren't riders look and ask questions. Tough guys ask questions. Weak guys ask question. Even a woman whose husband HATES bikes said she wished she could ride on one.

Many times we found people following us just so they could get a look. On 4 lane roads (we rode mostly back roads) we had cars pull up beside us and look us over. Lots of fellow riders gave us the thumbs up as we through Smokey Mountain National Park yesterday.

My fat head and big belly while riding my bike is now in many folks picture archives. Deals Gap found many riders taking pictures while we went inside to check things out.

Oh yeah WARNING!
If you're not a people person and don't like talking to people DON'T buy a Vision! Hermits would have a hard time hiding when on a Vision.

Now to the ride.
HOT!
Weather that is.
Gee, it's the first week of June and temps were anywhere between 90 and 97 degrees everywhere we went except in the mountains. With the humidity and heat hydration was an important need.

Took about a day to get use to the heat. Since I live and work in air-conditioning this fat boy had to adjust. What surprised me is I expected more heat coming off the engine. It was there, but it nothing like what this farm boy had to deal with growing up riding tractors on the farm.
The pegs were nice since I could put my feet out and feel no heat on my legs. I wear cowboy boots all the time (I grew up in boots so I feel naked without boots). Feet sweated no more (I think less) then riding a horse on a hot summer day.

The wife:
She only complained about her butt losing some feeling from sitting so long. She was always comfortable and content. She did stay tense when we rode The Dragons Tail.

The Dragons Tail:
Ok I rode it once and have never ever no need to ever ride it again!
WHY?
Bike handled well and after riding so darn many goat trails for 3 days I have gotten quiet use to sharp curves that go on for miles and miles. The Sports Bikes give me the magibbers on The Dragon! How there's not a major crash everyday just shows that many of those guys can ride, and the other riders try to stay out of their way.
Crowded for a Friday it was too!
Deals Gap was packed and we got lucky since a couple bikes pulled out as we pulled in.

Loved riding the Skyway and the parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway that we rode.

Friendly riders everywhere we went. The Smokey's must have been filled with 10,000 bikes since we saw so many. My favorite place that we stayed at was Maggie Valley, NC. Wife and I stayed there 25 years ago on our Honeymoon and she wanted to stay there again.

The bike:
We were loaded. All the boxes were filled and a small bag on the rack. I noticed it when stopped, but riding it was just fine but did notice the load while cornering on The Dragon (trying to stay out of the way).

The wife bless her heart did I said, and that's just lean with the bike and don't fight it. That she did!
Even when I stopped!
If the bike leaned over causing me to fight it back centered she leaned over with it. I did have to scold her and inform her it's would help if she did not lean with the bike when I was topped. (Did me no good since she about toppled me when I pulled up the garage door when we got home!)

Back to the bike:
I do wish the saddlebags had a bigger opening. We have the fitted bags and they fit (after they are in the hole). Hard to stick a full bag through a hole that is smaller then the bag. I wish they made the edge of the box the same size as the inside. I wanted to just pitch the bags since I could get more in the storage without the ‘fitted bags', but the wife likes having luggage.
Next trip the bags stay home and I'll just take out what we need every night.

We did hit two rainstorms.
With the heat and the wind we just hammered on and the biggest one only lasted 4 miles (my shoulders and upper body got soaked in that almost blinding downpour). I find it's much easier to see if you lower the windshield while it's raining. Silly wife kept complaining on the intercom that her face was getting wet. Silly girl had her face shield up!

Just asked wife if she's ready to take another trip.
She said yes!
However, "next time we are going to stop more"!
Ok so I like getting were I am heading.

I was proud that my last piece of chrome showed up before we left (the lower tail piece). I am proud the way the bike looks and it's nice that everything works well.
I did notice that my replacement AM/FM radio doesn't pickup stations as well as the original radio.

Oh yeah, bike isn't setup to put maps were you can get to them while riding. I tried but I just can find a place to place a map.
My wife is now convinced that a Space Cruiser like a Vision must have GPS and XM!
Woooh whooo!

Another thing.
Met 3 riders who have been looking at Visions and they talked about reading Vision Riders to get the good and bad.
They like many others, have, and are, making their decisions based on what they read on this board! Plus, they all have been searching out Visions riders while out on the road.

Only one real negative.
There are people in this Country that hate motorcycles. These people stick out like a sore thumb and they are dangerous. Some purposely do things to screw with you and they love pulling out in front of a bike or cutting you off.
You have to watch for them because they are more of a menace then those who for some reason can't see a bike coming at them.

Oh course there are those on bikes who dislike everybody. They are few but they are hardazzes. I wave at them anyway.

After this trip I feel more confident on my bike, and I just love making the little kids smile.

Edited by Indiana RoadRunner 2008-06-08 11:49 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sandman
Posted 2008-06-08 1:14 PM (#11567 - in reply to #11565)
Subject: Re: We’re not “Vision-Riders” or “Vision Pilots” we are “Victory Vision Ambassadors”.

Cruiser

rhode island
good read Tim
sandman
Posted 2008-06-08 1:14 PM (#11568 - in reply to #11565)
Subject: Re: We’re not “Vision-Riders” or “Vision Pilots” we are “Victory Vision Ambassadors”.

Cruiser

rhode island
good read Tim
BillyTheKidd
Posted 2008-06-08 1:16 PM (#11569 - in reply to #11565)
Subject: RE: We’re not “Vision-Riders” or “Vision Pilots” we are “Victory Vision Ambassadors”.

Cruiser

Denver
You are so right about the looks and comments that come from people. We just took a trip down RT 66 from Albuquerque to California, up PCH to San Francisco, up 1 to Redwoods and then back home. The Vision handled like a dream and my biggest concern (coming from the reliable wing) was reliability but I did not have one problem.

We were riding in a snow storm in Gallup, NM and pulled over because the HD riders did not have face shields. We are standing by the bikes when a lady comes over and says "you passed me on the road and that is the coolest bike I have ever seen". We talked a little and by then a another of my buddies pulled up on his wing. I told him about it and he said "give me a break" just ribbing each other. All along the trip thumbs up, "who makes that?" cool bike, heads twisting around as I went or they went by. The best was a group of HD's on the PCH all gave me the thumbs up and the leader actually pulled up next to me to tell me how cool the bike looked. That even made my buddy on the wing go "that was very cool".

Average gas mileage on the trip was 44.8 mpg covering 4k in the 11 days with a bunch of touristing. The only bummer was that I didn't but tickets for Alcatraz in advance. The web and call before we went on the trip said first come first serve. Well we found out too late that the tickets sell out a couple of days in advance so advance purchase is the way to go... Lombard St. was a gas... when you pull over the edge to go down it looks for a moment like there is no road there... Rt 66 was very cool, several places we came to were the end of the road. One spot looked like they took a bridge out, and you could see where 4 wheelers were going down through the creek bed (dry at that time but the gravel and dirt were over 5 inches deep) to the other side. I decided not to try it and get stuck.... If you are ever up near the Redwoods forest there is a road called the Lost Coast Road, I believe it is officially labeled CA 211, well worth the extra 60 miles to ride. Paved all the way, but the worst road I have ever ridden on. I believe we climbed in elevation 4 times from sea level to about 3400 ft. There are parts that look like a Scottish highland road and then the 10mph switch backs. When we were finishing the road it was getting dark and my buddies wife said it was so weird, it looked like my tail lights just disappeared between two trees....Awesome.

The Vision is fun and does handle well. Believe me when I say the wing has much more low end power and top end is greater. The Vision has enough power but it is just not there the same as on the wing. (I am comparing because I had 5 wings and traded a 06 Airbag wing in on the Vision) Comfort is about the same.. There was one day that I was squirming in the seat a bit because my butt was tired. I really miss the reverse. On a big bike it is really a must. Brakes on the wing seem to be better (not comparing ABS) because the linked system works with both the front hand grip and the rear brake pedal. The controls on the wing a much easier to use but the vision makes me feel like I did when I was a kid and just started riding.... I want more. It is not just a ride, but a fun ride. I have had the bike 4 weeks now and have almost 5 k on it with only a belt squeal.... Hard to beat that.

If you are interested:
http://www.billythekidd.net/Photos/Pages/Memorial_Day_Rides.html

That is a page on my web site with pictures from Memorial Day trips. Page two has the most recent pictures.

Willy
varyder
Posted 2008-06-08 1:19 PM (#11570 - in reply to #11565)
Subject: RE: We’re not “Vision-Riders” or “Vision Pilots” we are “Victory Vision Ambassadors”.

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Thanks for sharing Tim. Sounds like a great trip.
Indiana RoadRunner
Posted 2008-06-08 1:48 PM (#11572 - in reply to #11565)

Tourer

Dale, Indiana
Gas mileage.
42mpg with the hammer down. (70+)
45 while cruising the backloads and staying around 60mph.

Ran the different octane's of gas. Can't tell any difference in anything.

What octanes do most use, and what does Victory recommend?

Years ago if someone told me that it would be nice to ride a bike instead of car to the Smokey's I would have told them they were nuts.

I still can't believe I rode something with an open cockpit that far and this much. Sure was fun and the Space Cruiser style and real bike feel made it better.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™