You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Goldwing versus Vision
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Ricknhydee
Posted 2008-07-18 5:33 PM (#13808)
Subject: Goldwing versus Vision

New user

I had planned on buying a 2009 Goldwing until I recently took a Vision Tour for a test ride. The Wing has every conceivable technology, but I can't get over the look and the comfort of the Vision. I've never had a V-twin, and I'm little worried about heat issues, and how many years and trouble free miles I can expect from a Victory Vision. I also need something that is "Low Cost" to maintain. I ruled out the BMW LT because routine maintainence runs $600 to $900 a visit.

Are any of you former Gold Wing owners? What are your thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
choirguy
Posted 2008-07-18 5:56 PM (#13809 - in reply to #13808)
Subject: Re: Goldwing versus Vision

Puddle Jumper

Check out the video of the Goldwing rider at thevognet.com. The Goldwing rider is loyal to his bike, although he's amazed at the Vision...but it is good to see. Additionally, there are some YouTube videos out there testing the Vic versus Honda, H-D, and BMW bikes.

I don't own a Vision, and won't for a while (newborn in the house, plus we're buying a Prius), but I will eventually. Until then I have my 2000 V92C, which used to be outfitted like an H-D ultra.

I've driven Visions (multiple times), Goldwings (owned a 1200 for a summer and put 10K on it, also numerous 1800s), and H-D Classics...each bike has unique features, and it depends on what you're looking for, what you like, and what you'll be happy with.
maddog
Posted 2008-07-18 6:49 PM (#13810 - in reply to #13808)
Subject: RE: Goldwing versus Vision

Cruiser

Nebraska
The heat can be an issue I guess if you do a lot of stop and go traffic riding. I dont notice it when rolling and its been in the 90's here. As far as reliability. I had an '02 Vic. that i put 70K trouble free miles on. And there are many more out there with a lot more. I didnt hesitate to buy the Vision when my dealer got one in without a name on it. 11K now and no worries.
g1nomad
Posted 2008-07-18 7:03 PM (#13811 - in reply to #13808)

Tourer

SC, Bluffton
I own both. My wife loved the looks of the Vision so much, we put a down payment on
one without a test drive. We were the first in our area with one.

My dreams were a morphing between the Kawasaki VN2000 & Goldwing. Didn't happen.

First, and what I hate about the Goldwing, the Vision puts your feet where they belong.

Maintenance costs? I think everything is more accessible on the Vision, but the Vision
actually wants 2,500 mile services! That is crazy for a tourer.

I have 2 disappointments with the Vision. The first shocker was there is no factory installed
intercom system for you & your passenger. You can get an after the fact, but read here
all the problems. No thanks. In essence, I got a really cool looking cruiser with small
saddlebags. )o: My second beef, no 2nd gear. It is like a 7 speed transittion with no
2nd gear. I am a cruiser, so when you reach 2,500-3,000 RPM, it is shift time, period.
The only way to get a smooth shift between 1st & 2nd is to rev your engine to about 4,000
RPM and shift into 2nd as fast as you can, and don't drop below 3,000 RPM. It makes you
feel as though you are racing, you can't hear your stereo for a moment, and you feel like
you might as well get a Ninja if you want to rev & shift fast.

The pluses. Cruising in 5th gear at about 55-60 MPH is as nice as it gets. 6th gear on the
interstate with no wind or semi-trailers is awesome. Add the semi's, and the aerodynamics
are as bad as the Goldwings. Give me our Kawasaki on a windy day on the interstate, just
wished it had 6th (although it has a higher 5th then the Goldwing).

The Vision at night, nothing looks cooler. The Vision this last Winter, I felt guilty with the
heated grips, seat & protection. It was the bike I'd take first during our severe 34 degree
winter days. (o:

The Vision seat had to be created by someone actually concerned with your comfort. The
Goldwing sucks, and the Kawasaki got an aftermarket seat right away. I am overweight,
out of shape, and no way a Iron Butt marathon guy. Guys in shape like the Goldwing.

The Vision handles better for me at slow speeds versus the Goldwing. The front suspension
is better on the Vision. No on the fly rear adjustment, but still better then the Goldwing.

I prefer a V-twin over Honda horizontally opposed 6. I didn't expect more power, but I
prefer the Jap engines. My Honda 1300VTX, and 2 wimpy Kawasaki 1500cc engine were
much smoother. The Vision is great when you are getting on it, but that isn't me.

The gear indicator is like crack. I so miss it on the other bikes. The estimated MPG you are
getting at the moment is cool too.

Folks love to comment on your Vision, rarely on the Kaw, and sometimes on the Goldwing.

I think I went on too much. (o: If you want any particular comparison, I'll try to answer.

Herb
g1nomad
Posted 2008-07-18 7:04 PM (#13812 - in reply to #13808)

Tourer

SC, Bluffton
Err!

Edited by g1nomad 2008-07-18 7:06 PM
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-07-18 7:13 PM (#13813 - in reply to #13808)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Does a GoldWing require valve adjustments? If so, how often and how much does that cost..
metalguy
Posted 2008-07-18 7:55 PM (#13816 - in reply to #13808)

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
My take on the 2008 Goldwing, and the 2008 Vision are as follows:
Pluses for the 'wing; Smooooooth engine with all kinds of power.
Established aftermarket
ok dealer network.
more comfy rear seat. (according to my G/F)
Plusses for the Vision; Torque at low RPM's, lots of it.
MUCH better gearing than the wing, as I found I ran to 5th way too soon on it
18" of floorboard to place your feet in the BEST position
Electric windshield extremely useful.
Well lit: Side markers make it easier to be seen by cars, as does the H.I.D. headlight
GPS is totally easier to use, and the intercom works just fine, too.
Tipover protection...will save your bike on a slip-step! (not your pride, tho!)
iPod interface. 8 gig of songs, no need for radio, or CDs!
Things I dislike about the 'wing:
That engine....leaves NO place for your feet, but behind it!
Dated look.
passenger sits so far back, can't tell where she is!
Too low gearing.
no electric windshield avalable (but you can get it on the ST1300!!!)
no iPod interface
Things I dislike about my Vision:
Soft paint
Passenger floorboards too low
Having to talk to all strangers at every stop about my cool bike
I never want to ride my other two bikes now
Too easy to speed in the twisties, and scrape the tipovers
Should have brake lights/turnsignals on trunk
That is about it. As far as not having an intercom standard, if you want it, it IS Available. I have it. Mine works just fine, not sure about anyone else.
And I am unsure of what is being said above about the 7 speed transmission with no second gear, but Mine works just fine, better or at least as well as the 'wing transmission. All in all, the most comfortable, and usable bike out there.------Metalguy
GRZ
Posted 2008-07-18 10:44 PM (#13827 - in reply to #13808)

Cruiser

Ma.
I traded my 2007 Goldwing W/GPS in for my Vision last October. In my opinion, the Goldwing was superior in fit, finish, electronics etc.. It is a much more refined motorcycle. It was my 5th Goldwing. The reason I made the switch is that it was getting boring to ride. (Plus I still have my Honda Rune) I felt like I was riding on a 2 wheel convertable car. The vision seating is more comfortable and in my opinion the bike is just more fun to ride. It feels more like a motorcycle then the Goldwing. If you want a smooth, quiet and refined ride the goldwing may be the bike for you. Both bikes are great but they are also very different. Ride both and see which bike FEELS like the bike for you.

Good Luck! Gary
rdbudd
Posted 2008-07-19 5:56 PM (#13841 - in reply to #13808)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
My wife is more comfortable on the Vision than on the Goldwing. I'm more comfortable on the Vision than on the Goldwing. The Goldwing FEELS a lot faster than the Vision, but real world testing confirms that the Goldwing is actually only slightly (about 2/10's of a second) quicker in the quarter mile than a Vision. In 5th gear roll-on performance from 35 mph up to around 100 mph, the Vision pulls away from the Goldwing (real world testing again), so traffic passing ability is as good as the Goldwing. The Goldwing comes with an intercom. CB is optional for around $1000 installed. The units work very well. The Vision comes without an intercom. Intercom and CB are optional and cost me $824 installed. Other than needing to have my early build date bike's firmware reflashed (free of charge) to get the CB to interface properly, the units work well. (Bikes built a little later than mine already have the lastest firmware installed). Compared to my unfaired cruiser, both the Goldwing and the Vision are hot to ride when the temps rise. You will get more heat from the Vision in stop and go traffic in the cities, but it's not that bad. I don't notice it much when going down the road. Again,my unfaired bikes (Suzuki bandit and Victory SC are both cooler than either the Goldwing or Vision. Especially in cold weather. I'm not sure about Herb's complaints about the transmission. My Vision shifts just fine at any RPM, and the 6th speed is the cat's meow. Now, after having my Vision for awhile, I'm always trying to shift into 6th on my SC and on my buddy's GL1800. The Bandit is a 6 speed, but it still turns a lot of RPM's as sport bikes are prone to do. The Goldwing feels/sounds very busy compared to the Vision. The Goldwing engine is smoother than the Vision's. The Goldwing engine is very smooth, characterless, and boring. I need the stereo on to keep me awake. The Vision engine is also smooth, but with a nice V-twin pulse. I can, and often do, ride mile after mile just enjoying that beat and taking in the scenery, no stereo needed. The Goldwing's fairing speakers can be heard better at speed than the Vision's, but when I have both the helmet speakers and the fairing speakers turned on, the sound is better than the Goldwing's. On my buddy's 1800 Goldwing, you have to choose either fairing speakers, or helmet speakers. You can't run both at the same time like the Vision. On the Vision, the passenger has complete and total separate control over headset volume. On the Goldwing, the passenger volume control can only decrease the level from whatever the driver's setting is. The Goldwing has reverse and can hold more stuff. Whenever my buddy and I park somewhere together, his Goldwing seems to be almost invisible to the general populace, while I have a hard time getting away from the gas pump or store because of all the people wanting to ask questions about the Vision.

Both are great machines, each in it's own way. You already know the Goldwing is a great bike. Most Victory dealers will let you take a bike for an extended test if they think you are serious about a potential purchase. Take a Vision for a few hundred mile test ride and buy the bike that suits you the best. You can't go wrong with a Vision or a Goldwing. It's all a matter of personal preference. I've owned Goldwings too, and had my choices narrowed down to a new GL1800 or a Vision Tour Premium. I can reach the ground easier on the Vision and I was able to get a Vision comparably equipped for $1108 less than a comparable Goldwing. The only thing the Goldwing would have had that I don't now have is a GPS system. Many Goldwing riders are not too fond of the factory GPS system, many of them adding aftermarket GPS anyway, and I can add GPS to my Vision for $300 if I ever feel the need.

Ride 'em and decide.

Ronnie
spursmvp
Posted 2008-07-19 10:39 PM (#13857 - in reply to #13808)

Tourer

O'Neill, Nebraska
Great comments here about comparing the bikes. I went to the Honda dealer and sat on a GW...and that's all it took. Off to the Vic dealer! I was fortunate to have the Vision today for about 3.5 hours and put about 125 miles on her. This makes about 200 miles the dealer has let me put on their demo bike.

Wow what a bike. Needless to say, I'm riding the demo bike and get asked by 4 different couples, "what kind of bike is that?" Pretty neat stuff for something I had only borrowed. I did run into a HD couple and they were all questions as well. Gotta love it!
cjnoho
Posted 2008-07-20 1:13 AM (#13873 - in reply to #13808)

Visionary

So Cal
Just my opinion, but the biggest drawback for me is the lack of floorboards on the GW. Very capable bike but once you ride a bike with floorboards, there's no going back.
pastor
Posted 2008-07-20 5:01 PM (#13910 - in reply to #13808)

Puddle Jumper

Tonopah,NV
I can't compare them, the Goldwing is a good bike, but for me the Vision has it beat in every catagory but horse power, and the Vision has plenty for me. My dealer said the Vision would handle better than a Wing, and I didn't believe him until after I rode it. Comfort is far superior, but the best feature is my wife, who was very lukewarm to motorcycles, loves it, won't let me leave without her, is planing trips for us. Thank you Vision
flint350
Posted 2008-07-20 5:17 PM (#13911 - in reply to #13808)

Cruiser

Baltimore, Md
I've had both (a GL1500 and now a new Vision) and agree with most of what's already been said. When you reach this level of motorcycle accomplishment, it's difficult to go horribly wrong. It is quite easy, however, to pick the wrong one for your style or needs if you don't research carefully and RIDE BOTH. While they are both excellent and both have pros/cons, they are different. I won't re-hash what has been said, but any buyer at this level should already have a good idea of what they like in bike and what they don't. Combine that with how they intend to use it most often and they should have little difficulty choosing.

I'm very happy with my Vision so far and when I think back on the Wing there are only a few things that come immediately to mind. Mother Honda's near obsessive need to create packages to force buying up to get one item (ABS for example); lack of 6th gear, lack of electric windscreen, lack of footroom and a general sense that the Wing is going through an extended phase of corporate complacency. Maybe a bike like the Vision, with its benefits unavailable on the Wing, will stimulate Honda, which will re-invigorate Victory, etc. I loved my Wing while I had it and I now love my Vision. My biggest hope is simply that Victory and the dealer network continue to improve and expand, so that the Vision remains viable and constantly improving, vs. becoming a relic that "could have been".
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™