You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Valve noise
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

mberry
Posted 2019-12-18 8:09 PM (#192967)
Subject: Valve noise

New user

New to the group and new Vision owner. Is it normal on these 106?s for the valves to click fora short time after start? Thanks in advance
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rdbudd
Posted 2019-12-18 9:30 PM (#192968 - in reply to #192967)
Subject: RE: Valve noise

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Yes, it can be, especially if the bike has been sitting for a long period of time. Using to light a weight oil may aggravate it also. The correct weight is a 20W-40.

These bikes have hydraulic valve adjusters, which need to build pressure to run quiet. That is probably what you are hearing.
mberry
Posted 2019-12-18 10:26 PM (#192969 - in reply to #192968)

New user

Wow, thanks rdbudd! The bike has been sitting for a long time so I was hoping a service and putting some miles on it might remedy the noise. It has had some cam work performed on it also, could that have an effect? I?m a little cautious when an engine has been tampered with. I prefer bone stock. Thanks again!
rdbudd
Posted 2019-12-19 3:44 PM (#192970 - in reply to #192969)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Nope, the cam work shouldn't affect it. There are no downsides to most of the aftermarket cams commonly used as upgrades in a Vision. Only upside. The stock cams don't do much after 4500 RPM, and really limit the power that was designed into these things. With cams such as Lloydz, you can't really tell the cams are even in there until you open the throttle all the way up. The Lloydz cams feel much like stock cams at lower to mid range, but really add substantial power increases past 4500 RPM. Fuel economy is pretty much unchanged in normal riding and on long trips. With these bikes, you really can have your cake and eat it too. Cams and a tune do that in these bikes.

A little noise on startup is normal, as the hydraulic system comes up to pressure.

A fresh oil change using a 20W-40 motorcycle oil would be advisable if it has been sitting, or if it is due anyway. There are a few different sources for that. Victory dealers, of course, or now Indian dealers (same oil, different label). There are some aftermarket suppliers as well. Personally, I've used Amsoil for 20 years in my Victorys, and have had great luck with it. Use whatever you want, but make sure it carries the specification laid out in your owner's manual.

Ronnie
mberry
Posted 2019-12-19 10:23 PM (#192971 - in reply to #192967)
Subject: Re: Valve noise

New user

Thanks Ronnie, I just ordered a Victory oil change kit online. Thanks again, you made me feel better about my purchase!
rdbudd
Posted 2019-12-20 5:25 PM (#192972 - in reply to #192971)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
You are very welcome.

The tech forums on this website can provide you with many hours of reading and information. Probably most any question you may have about the Vision has been discussed. There is a vast wealth of knowledge contributed by a large number of people. A simple query in the search box will often yield the answers you are looking for.

Here's a link to a little piece I wrote back in 2011 concerning the effects of a cam and reprogrammed ECU in a Vision, and how it affected the relative performance of a Vision compared to a GL1800 Goldwing.

http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8212&pos...

If I can help answer any questions, just ask and I'll try.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2019-12-20 5:26 PM
mberry
Posted 2019-12-20 6:57 PM (#192973 - in reply to #192967)

New user

That?s some great data, Ronnie. I haven?t even rode mine yet, too cold in Kentucky every since I got the Vis but it?s supposed to warm up in the next couple of days. I?m anxious to try it out. Thanks again!
Mike
rdbudd
Posted 2019-12-21 12:54 AM (#192974 - in reply to #192973)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
The Vision is built for going places and is truly a 4 season bike. The charging system on them is fully capable of powering two full sets of heated riding gear. My wife and I have ridden long distances in cold weather with our heated gear on, and have been comfortable. Once you get familiar with your bike and find out how easily it eats up the miles, you might want to consider some heated gear. It really extends your riding season.

We always pack our heated gear on trips, even in the summer. There have been several instances where it was in the 90s or 100 degrees here at home, but when we got up into the mountains it was in the 30s and 40s. With heated gear-------no problem. We use heated liners, which take up no more space than a set of long underwear. Heated gloves and insoles complete the set. I have four controllers permanently mounted---two up front and two in the back. Hooking up is as simple as sitting on the bike and plugging in. That stuff has made it enjoyable to take trips in cool weather.

Ronnie
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™