You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Turn lighted badges on with a rocker switch - need advice.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

jdr00ejr
Posted 2015-04-21 10:07 PM (#172028 - in reply to #101387)
Subject: Re: Turn lighted badges on with a rocker switch - need advice.

Cruiser

Indianapolis, IN United States
I know this is an old thread so sorry for that. I just did this mod with a factory switch so I didn't use a diode. Switch works fine as intended but turning key on whether the switch is on or not pops the horn fuse every time. As soon as I disconnect from the seat plug my horn fuse is happy. Is this because I don't have the diode?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
diamonbird
Posted 2015-04-22 5:22 AM (#172029 - in reply to #101387)

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
Sounds like it!
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-04-22 5:40 PM (#172042 - in reply to #172028)

Visionary

jdr00ejr - 2015-04-21 10:07 PM I know this is an old thread so sorry for that. I just did this mod with a factory switch so I didn't use a diode. Switch works fine as intended but turning key on whether the switch is on or not pops the horn fuse every time. As soon as I disconnect from the seat plug my horn fuse is happy. Is this because I don't have the diode?

What are you talking about? Side bages come on with the ingnition switch.

jdr00ejr
Posted 2015-04-23 9:54 AM (#172057 - in reply to #172042)

Cruiser

johnnyvision - 2015-04-22 6:40 PM

jdr00ejr - 2015-04-21 10:07 PM I know this is an old thread so sorry for that. I just did this mod with a factory switch so I didn't use a diode. Switch works fine as intended but turning key on whether the switch is on or not pops the horn fuse every time. As soon as I disconnect from the seat plug my horn fuse is happy. Is this because I don't have the diode?

?

What are you talking about? Side bages come on with the ingnition switch.

Let me try and explain a different way.

Ran a fused (10amp) line direct from the battery to a "Victory Dash Switch" (not a lighted switch like you used - ordered this one as a true victory switch). Ran a line from the switch to the grey wire on the plug (no diode - straight line). Ran a ground line to the switch.

When I flip my newly wired switch, badge lights come on - I'm so excited.

When I put the key in the ignition and turn the key on (newly wired switch off) - badges do not light. Horn does not work. Power outlet dead. Horn fuse blown. Removed Key. Replaced Fuse. Checked newly wired switch - badges light up. Turned off newly wired switch - put key in - turn key on - horn fuse blown again. Remove Grey wire connection (newly wire switch now does nothing). Replaced fuse - badges light only when key turned on - back to factory with a worthless switch now installed on my dash.

So I didn't install the diode because in your instructions you talked about a lighted switch and the diode was needed to keep the switch from being lit all the time. Well with no lighted switch, I didn't feel the diode was necessary - but now am wondering if that's why I'm blowing my horn fuse.
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-04-23 5:55 PM (#172074 - in reply to #101387)

Visionary

so you add light to your chess wedges. Your not talking about the victory logo badges?
The grey plug has power and ground. If you ran it to the power side you blue a fuse.
It you tuck power from battery to switch to your new lights you would not need that gray plug.
Unhook your power and test gray plug with a meter for power and ground with key on
jdstamp
Posted 2015-04-23 6:48 PM (#172076 - in reply to #101387)

Puddle Jumper

Trenton, Ohio
This is a pretty easy modification. What I did was ran a dedicated fused line that goes to a remote transceiver for my blue led lights I put around the engine. Before the remote transceiver I tapped into the line then ran to a toggle switch that fit in the fourth spot on the dash. Got the toggle switch from Parts Express. It was a little too tight so I used a fine file to open up the hole in the dash. Before you tie into the line for the lighted badges, I installed a diode. One last thing, I wondered how long I could run the led lights and the victory badges so I left them on all night long and had no issues. Also, one other thing I did was I installed a round toggle switch inside one of my saddle bags and put white led strips inside of saddle bags. Really helps out at night time when I get into the saddle bags.
jdr00ejr
Posted 2015-04-28 1:45 PM (#172161 - in reply to #101387)

Cruiser

JohnnyVision - I am talking about the factory installed logo lights on the side of the bike. Fused line from Battery to switch I installed in the console (not a lighted switch). I didn't want to do the add-a-fuse route - which is why I went straight from the battery with a fused line instead. Ran a separate line to the grey plug grey wire as you stated in your directions. Grounded the third terminal on the switch. with no Diode I keep blowing a fuse. Wired me in a diode yesterday and all is well. No worries. Sorry for all the confusion.
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-04-30 6:06 PM (#172183 - in reply to #101387)

Visionary

there is a wire on each side for the badges. you don't need to run a special wire for them. If your blowing a fuse then I'm guessing you have power wired to ground. The factory gray plugs has one power and one black wire to a gray plastic plug. There is a BLACK dot on the power side of the plug.
You have to pull the dash panel to find the OEM wire
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™