You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Belt Sqeek/Chirp
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

blackpearl
Posted 2015-06-21 5:57 PM (#172866)
Subject: Belt Sqeek/Chirp

Puddle Jumper

I know this is an old subject. Bought an '08 Vision 2 years ago. Absolutely love it except for one very irritating thing. After many tries cannot get the belt to stop squeeking. Read most of the forums related to this. I have adjusted it to spec (tension) including tracking and it squeeks non stop whether cold or warm. I have tightened it a little and it sqeeks when cold but as it warms up it slowly goes away but even if it cools down after a short break it is back to the chirping. Belt has no sign of wear, and the bike when I got it had several Ness upgrades including wheels and a chrome sprocket. I have the service manual and a tension tool and follow the procedure exactly. My question: There was mention from several years ago in the forums that there were a number of sprockets made in '08 that weren't right and would cause this problem. Changing the sprocket made this problem go away. Is this true? I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for nothing. On e-bay I saw a couple in the $175.00 range but they are used and you never know what you are going to get.
Any ideas or suggestions? I do most of my own maintenance and this really has me stumped. If it is a bad sprocket I would gladly change it because I love this bike.

'08Vision
18K miles
lowered w/ bag inserts
California but was bought new in Arizona
Top of the page Bottom of the page
crw
Posted 2015-06-21 8:44 PM (#172868 - in reply to #172866)
Subject: RE: Belt Sqeek/Chirp

Puddle Jumper

Griswold, CT
I haven't had this chipping with my 2013 vision

i had a kawaski 2005 vn2000 that would chip so bad that riders 5-6 rows ahead of me would hear it

i was told to get some paraffin wax

roll the bike so you get 2-3 turns on the belt holding the againest it

work like a champ

carryed it on the bike all the time after that

it would last from 1 to 3 mth after that
Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-06-21 9:19 PM (#172869 - in reply to #172866)
Subject: Re: Belt Sqeek/Chirp

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i had a 2005 vulcan 2000 that chirped as well !! until .... i got a new wheels and pulley and belt..

how is the alignment and the tension.. a few years ago on a trip to sturgis my 2011 vision started making this noise from the belt.. here for me it was sand and what not that was all over the belt and pulley.. i sprayed the belt and pulley and it went away...
RedRider
Posted 2015-06-22 4:51 AM (#172873 - in reply to #172866)

Visionary

I rub Dove soap on the side of the belt every 3,000 miles. Works for me.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-06-22 8:06 AM (#172878 - in reply to #172866)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
is dove soap a Fix? or a Band aid ? lol get caught in rain and have a trail of bubbles behind you ... kidding!
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-06-22 6:35 PM (#172896 - in reply to #172866)

Visionary

left axle adjuster is for belt tension.
Right axle adjuster is for inn and out on the belt.
being from the harley world they never say spin wheel backwards that makes no cents to me.
Spinning wheel forward by hand I adjust the belt so it just comes off the inside lip of pulley. Stop there and spin a few more times. If belt stays there and does not touch right edge of pulley I'm done.
You don't want your axle nut to lose cause when you tighten it you can throw everything off.
Now take a ride and around 60mph take hands off bars. Now if bike goes fast left or fast right its not aligned. Bike should go slow right.

you can use wax to hide the sound But your wheel and wheel bearing have a uneven pressure on them. All so your brake pads wear uneven the front of the pads will wear quicker than the back half of the pad
willtill
Posted 2015-06-23 9:47 AM (#172908 - in reply to #172896)

Visionary

Central Maryland

johnnyvision - 2015-06-22 7:35 PM

left axle adjuster is for belt tension.
Right axle adjuster is for inn and out on the belt.
being from the harley world they never say spin wheel backwards that makes no cents to me.
Spinning wheel forward by hand I adjust the belt so it just comes off the inside lip of pulley. Stop there and spin a few more times. If belt stays there and does not touch right edge of pulley I'm done.
You don't want your axle nut to lose cause when you tighten it you can throw everything off.
Now take a ride and around 60mph take hands off bars. Now if bike goes fast left or fast right its not aligned. Bike should go slow right.

you can use wax to hide the sound But your wheel and wheel bearing have a uneven pressure on them. All so your brake pads wear uneven the front of the pads will wear quicker than the back half of the pad

Don't you have your axle adjusters criss crossed for function?

Left is for belt alignment
Right is for belt tension.

blackpearl
Posted 2015-06-23 10:50 AM (#172909 - in reply to #172866)

Puddle Jumper

Johnny, Thanks for your input. I also come from owning 5 Harley's and it is so much simpler especially with the cammed axles. Just adjust belt tension and your done.
But I want to make sure I understand your method. Disregard what the book says using the left adjuster for side to side, you use the right adjuster?; of course this is after adjusting for tension. Am I correct in what you were trying to explain?
Another quick question; The book calls for 32mm deflection, but some on the forums say 20mm is the better. What do you set yours at?
I also use the 60-65mph hands off method to check for alignment.
Again thanks for the feedback.

Vince
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-06-23 6:04 PM (#172915 - in reply to #172866)

Visionary

yes I was turned around.
What I meant about disregard the book where they say turn the wheel backwards.
I have a half inch of play and thats with me sitting on the bike
wdwurker
Posted 2015-06-23 10:27 PM (#172919 - in reply to #172866)

Cruiser

As for the Chirping..

I suffer the same irritating chirp from time to time. The way I deal with it is to find a two-bit car wash (like any of them charge a quarter any more) set the bike towards the back of the stall, set the sprayer to rinse and wash the belt/sprocket, keep moving the bike forward until you've sprayed the entire belt.

This has always worked for me. Of course, when the bike is at home, I throw her up on the lift, raise the rear tire and use a small steam cleaner to do the same thing. It's a lot easier than trying to do it in the wash bay.

My other method works for me, but probably not for most. If I leave the house and it's chirping... I ride it hard for the next twenty five miles, that way, the chirp is gone by the time I reach the first town. That darn chirp can be pretty embarrassing in a town full of HD's.

Moral of the story... it's probably just dirt on the edges of the belt/pulley. Clean it off and no more chirp.
blackpearl
Posted 2015-06-24 10:45 AM (#172938 - in reply to #172866)

Puddle Jumper

Thanks to all who have tried to help me. It is very frustrating noise. I have made an effort at least a dozen times and get no lasting results. I will try the again using Johnny's method of alignment and the wash and wax method if I get no results from that.
My original question of whether there were some bad pulleys from '08 was never answered or if the proper deflection was 32 or 20mm.
willtill
Posted 2015-06-24 2:02 PM (#172944 - in reply to #172938)

Visionary

Central Maryland
blackpearl - 2015-06-24 11:45 AM

Thanks to all who have tried to help me. It is very frustrating noise. I have made an effort at least a dozen times and get no lasting results. I will try the again using Johnny's method of alignment and the wash and wax method if I get no results from that.
My original question of whether there were some bad pulleys from '08 was never answered or if the proper deflection was 32 or 20mm.

Do 32mm... you want it a bit looser than 20mm. 20mm was actually spec'ed out for a different Victory model.

Somehow it became applicable to the Vision; but it's too tight.

Edited by willtill 2015-06-24 2:04 PM
sarvbill
Posted 2015-06-26 8:04 AM (#172997 - in reply to #172866)

Cruiser

Chesterfield, VA
To answer your original question...if you have a bad rear pulley, you will not be able to adjust the squeak out of the belt. This was a problem for the 08 and 09 Visions. It's been a while, but I believe the problem had something to do with delamination of the coating on the pulley. I had the same issue on my 09 and the pulley was replaced under warranty - it was/is a known problem on the early bikes.
jdstamp
Posted 2015-06-30 7:19 PM (#173107 - in reply to #172866)

Puddle Jumper

Trenton, Ohio
Just let you know, last year I had a chirping/squeaking noise that would come and go. Thought it was the belt alignment and/or pads. Changed the pads, checked belt alignment, and cleaned the pulley. Noise went away for awhile then came back. The rear bearing on the pulley side had gone bad. Worth checking.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™