You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Clutch Grab Point
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Street Eagle
Posted 2014-05-08 7:34 AM (#156028)
Subject: Clutch Grab Point

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Fellow Riders

I recently installed a new clutch in my VV. When letting out the clutch lever, it doesn't engage/grab until the lever is approximately 3/4 of the way out. The original clutch's grab point was similar.

Is this normal operation for the hydraulic clutch? At what point does your clutch engage/grab?

As always, I really appreciate your input and feedback.

Ride safe!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
XRsteve
Posted 2014-05-08 8:01 AM (#156030 - in reply to #156028)
Subject: Re: Clutch Grab Point

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
I too replace my clutch master cylinder, it engages the clutches about 2/3rds the way out very similar to my other Vision. One item to remember. DON'T USE Dot 5 in our hydraulic systems, it may destroy the seals around the pistons..........It did mine.

Edited by XRsteve 2014-05-08 8:02 AM
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-05-08 8:14 AM (#156031 - in reply to #156028)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
I changed to the Barnett plates for this reason, and now it starts grabbing about 1/4 of the way out and has a useable friction zone. VERY pleased with it. Their pressure plate and spring, on the other hand, is back sitting in its box after only using it for 100ish miles.
Street Eagle
Posted 2014-05-08 9:36 AM (#156032 - in reply to #156028)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Thanks guys..

I too put in a Barnett clutch. It failed to function properly. Come to find out from Lloyd, Barnett has been shipping clutches out that are out of spec. The stack and spring are too short. Lloyd's guys fixed it and solved the problem. When the clutch first went in, it was grabbing about a 1/4 of the way out. I also had the slave cylinder replaced when the clutch went in. It was leaking. Probably need to look at the master and have it rebuilt.
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-05-08 5:59 PM (#156043 - in reply to #156028)
Subject: RE: Clutch Grab Point

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
Well dang, glad you posted that -- hopefully I don't have some of those out of spec parts, but I'll damn sure put a call in to Lloyd and Barnett tomorrow to discuss.

My clutch came apart after about 100 miles (I made a thread here) and I believe the diameter of the inner circle of the spring was out of spec. I KNOW I put it together correctly, and I have two very experienced techs that were working with me as we did it. The lock ring that keeps the basket together has a seat that makes it so that it shouldn't be able to come apart without clamping the spring down first. Mine came apart while riding. The ring and seat were still in place in the clutch hub, but the spring was outside of them - no longer retained. So either the inner circle is a little larger than it should be on that spring, the spring was so damn strong it distorted/flexed the rings out of the way (wouldn't be surprised by this - that spring is WAAAAAY too strong,) or magic happened and put that lock ring and seat back in its groove after the shit came apart.

I'm pleased with the Barnett plates and steels, but the pressure plate and spring caused me a shitty day and cost me money -- I won't resell the parts, so I'm out of pocket on them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™