You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Great ride
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

buzz64077
Posted 2014-05-04 11:58 PM (#155927)
Subject: Great ride

Cruiser

orrick, mo
I've been itching to put some miles on the Vision lately so I got up Saturday morning and hit the road. When I left all I knew was that I wanted to go ride Push Mountain road. From my house that is just over 300 miles. I left home about 8:30am and got back home about 11:45pm and rode about 780 miles. For those of you who have ridden Push Mountain road and the surrounding area you know I had a good day riding. If you haven't ridden that area I definitely recommend it. It was a great day because I got my highway fix and my hit the twisties and let it loose fix all in one day. The only embarrassment I suffered all day came from my front fender. I pulled into a little store off highway 7 to get a drink. There were 5 or 6 HDs already there. The lot was bumpy and as I hit a bump everyone heard a banging noise from my bike. Of course everyone was out front enjoying the weather.
The rear part of the fender was hanging on by one bolt and the 2 push locks to the front part of the fender. The front part was also loose and I could move it up and down about an inch. There where cracks all around the bolt holes for the front fender. So I got to take the front fender off the Vision in front of a bunch of HD guys. I'm sure they will never forget that. I rode home about 250 miles with no front fender. I have replaced the rear part on the fender once already. And no Mama Vic would not cover it under warranty at the time. So I will be riding with no front fender until I can get a metal one on it. I refuse to go back with something I know that will just fail again.
But still a great day that I plan on repeating again. I still love getting out and enjoying what a great machine the Vision is. Oh yeah I rode Push Mountain 3 times that day and enjoyed some other great roads also.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
XRsteve
Posted 2014-05-05 7:29 AM (#155934 - in reply to #155927)
Subject: Re: Great ride

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Thank goodness you werent hurt. Report it.....

Edited by XRsteve 2014-05-05 7:30 AM
varyder
Posted 2014-05-05 8:49 AM (#155936 - in reply to #155927)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
This really stinks, but thanks for sharing. Every Vision owner needs to be aware of this. I'm not bitter and refuse to wait on Victory on this. Mine broke many moons ago, fortunetly on a back street on a slow turn. I fixed it that day with some strapping material and drilled a few holes to hold it. I don't even think about it anymore and it is holding very well. I would rather you have it happen in front of a few Harley riders than in a much worse situation. Glad you were able to lay it into the twisties some, I need to do that soon, very soon.
ljurgens
Posted 2014-05-05 8:59 AM (#155937 - in reply to #155936)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States

varyder - 2014-05-05 8:49 AM This really stinks, but thanks for sharing. Every Vision owner needs to be aware of this. I'm not bitter and refuse to wait on Victory on this. Mine broke many moons ago, fortunetly on a back street on a slow turn. I fixed it that day with some strapping material and drilled a few holes to hold it. I don't even think about it anymore and it is holding very well.

Ok, so I'm a new Vision owner (750 miles) with some fender questions:

1. Are there telltale signs that I need to look for each day before I ride?
  2. Has anyone who has had an issue, and repaired it themselves, written up a guide showing how to reinforce the fender before it starts cracking? I would probably like to reinforce now, before I have any issues.
  3. Why does the Vision have a 2 piece fender? 

The new Witchdoctors fender looks great, but its an expense I certainly wasn't planning for on a brand new bike.

buzz64077
Posted 2014-05-05 9:46 AM (#155940 - in reply to #155937)

Cruiser

orrick, mo
Just watch for cracks around the mounting bolts on the rear part of the fender.
varyder
Posted 2014-05-05 11:03 AM (#155941 - in reply to #155937)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

ljurgens - 2014-05-05 9:59 AM

varyder - 2014-05-05 8:49 AM This really stinks, but thanks for sharing. Every Vision owner needs to be aware of this. I'm not bitter and refuse to wait on Victory on this. Mine broke many moons ago, fortunetly on a back street on a slow turn. I fixed it that day with some strapping material and drilled a few holes to hold it. I don't even think about it anymore and it is holding very well.

Ok, so I'm a new Vision owner (750 miles) with some fender questions:

1. Are there telltale signs that I need to look for each day before I ride?
  2. Has anyone who has had an issue, and repaired it themselves, written up a guide showing how to reinforce the fender before it starts cracking? I would probably like to reinforce now, before I have any issues.
  3. Why does the Vision have a 2 piece fender? 

The new Witchdoctors fender looks great, but its an expense I certainly wasn't planning for on a brand new bike.

One Fix - if you'll go this link you'll see what I did on mine a short ways down in the thread.  One guy on here has determined that the shoulder on the bolt is too shallow, thus allowing compression on the plastic and causing cracking.  I can agree with that assessment, however, mine seemed to be very brittle around the hole like it had contact with chemicals or an improper curing process.  I didn't want to deal with waiting on my dealer to do anything, or waiting for Victory to do anything, even though it was under warranty, so I fixed it myself.  By the way, it's been said that Victory will not cover the fender since it is a "wear item" however, others have had theirs replaced under warranty or good will by the dealer.  As to why it is a two piece, I have no clue other than the inside mounting bolts are near impossible to remove with the wheel mounted, and it's too much to jack the wheel up to remove the wheel without pulling the front part of the fender.  That's my experience, not the only experience I'm sure.  Once I fixed mine, I was able to forget it was ever an issue and from the pictures, it doesn't detract from the bike any more than the dirt does.

mrbill65
Posted 2014-05-05 7:21 PM (#155953 - in reply to #155927)
Subject: RE: Great ride

Puddle Jumper

Please report this to the NHTSA. There is an open investigation about the fender issues in the pilot. Check out the thread in this forum there is more details there.

Thanks
Mrbill65
2013 Gold Mist Vision
Barry
Posted 2014-05-05 8:44 PM (#155954 - in reply to #155927)

Puddle Jumper

Denton Texas
Also if you look at the 2014 they have redesigned the front fender.
willtill
Posted 2014-05-06 4:21 AM (#155958 - in reply to #155954)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Barry - 2014-05-05 9:44 PM

Also if you look at the 2014 they have redesigned the front fender.

Really? That rear portion too?
marcparnes
Posted 2014-05-07 10:25 PM (#156013 - in reply to #155927)

Iron Butt

Don't get your hopes up. The part numbers for the front and rear portions are the same from 2008 to 2014.

Marc
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™