You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Rear Powerlet connector?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

luterdan
Posted 2014-10-02 7:31 AM (#167167)
Subject: Rear Powerlet connector?

Cruiser

Marietta, GA
Hi

I installed a Powerlet on the console for my heated gear, but i can't find the free powerlet connector in the rear for the passenger. Is there one? or do i need to re-appropriate something. I took off the trunk and the seat, and i don't see it anywhere tied to the wiring harness. 2013 Vision.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-10-02 8:40 AM (#167168 - in reply to #167167)
Subject: Re: Rear Powerlet connector?

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
I never saw one on my 2011 all the times I took it part. Does your owners manual list anything about extra outlets?
luterdan
Posted 2014-10-02 9:44 AM (#167169 - in reply to #167167)

Cruiser

Marietta, GA
Some of the threads on the forum make reference to people installing rear powerlet, so i assumed that it was pre wired. but you know how to spell assume.... if anyone has installed a rear powerlet, please let me know, or if you have installed rear power connector for Gerbings, how did you route the wires all the way to the battery?
ljurgens
Posted 2014-10-02 3:38 PM (#167170 - in reply to #167167)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States
Couldn't you tap into the power that is going to the cigarette socket that is in the rear center of trunk?
rdbudd
Posted 2014-10-02 10:01 PM (#167177 - in reply to #167169)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
luterdan - 2014-10-02 9:44 AM

Some of the threads on the forum make reference to people installing rear powerlet, so i assumed that it was pre wired. but you know how to spell assume.... if anyone has installed a rear powerlet, please let me know, or if you have installed rear power connector for Gerbings, how did you route the wires all the way to the battery?

Don't know if it has changed from 2008 to 2013, but my bike (2008) had the plug for the rear powerlet tied up way under the passenger backrest of the trunk. The wire was folded and zip tied. It was long enough to reach the outlet that I installed below the speaker. Once found, it just plugs directly into the outlet. It is on the right hand side as you sit on the bike. It is wired in parallel with the outlet inside the trunk. I had to remove the filler panel to gain access to it. I do not use that outlet for my heated gear, but I use that circuit. My dual controllers are permanently mounted--two in the console for me and two in the panel below the left rear speaker for my wife. I use the Powerlet outlet for other things.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2014-10-02 10:04 PM
luterdan
Posted 2014-10-03 4:41 PM (#167181 - in reply to #167167)

Cruiser

Marietta, GA
Success!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for everybody's help. For future reference, in the trunk, below the padded seat, there is a small panel. Removing this, exposed a powerlet jack on the right side and 3 other jacks (not sure what they are for) on the left side. Very well hidden.

To get the panel off, you need to remove the trunk (or at least the seat), remove the speaker grills, and remove the plastic panel beneath the padded backrest of the trunk.

hope it helps someone else.
Pops
Posted 2014-10-03 8:21 PM (#167184 - in reply to #167177)

Cruiser

Georgia On My Mind.... United States
rdbudd - 2014-10-02 11:01 ...My dual controllers are permanently mounted--two in the console for me and two in the panel below the left rear speaker for my wife...

Hey Ronnie,

I'm about to install hook-ups for my wife's and my Gerbing's.

Did you run the wiring all the way to the battery, or did you tap power else where?

I was going to make a heavy jumper wire and hook directly to the battery then split it with two plugs. One for my gear and one for the wife's.

Any advise?

All the best,

rdbudd
Posted 2014-10-03 10:16 PM (#167186 - in reply to #167184)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Pops - 2014-10-03 8:21 PM

rdbudd - 2014-10-02 11:01 ...My dual controllers are permanently mounted--two in the console for me and two in the panel below the left rear speaker for my wife...

Hey Ronnie,

I'm about to install hook-ups for my wife's and my Gerbing's.

Did you run the wiring all the way to the battery, or did you tap power else where?

I was going to make a heavy jumper wire and hook directly to the battery then split it with two plugs. One for my gear and one for the wife's.

Any advise?

All the best,

I chose to use the existing wiring provided by Victory, in the form of the preexisting plugs installed for the optional Powerlet outlets. On my 2008, there is a female plug under the radio console and another under and behind the passenger seat. They are fused at 15 amps each and wired in parallel to the Powerlet outlets in the glove box and trunk respectively. For my use, I just stuck the ring connectors already installed on the controller right into the female plug by bending them slightly. They fit tight and made a good connection. On the rear, I actually installed the optional Powerlet outlet into the panel and plugged it directly into the provided female plug. Then, using Positaps, I connected her dual controller to the same plug by tapping the wires. Clean, solid connection, no splicing or soldering. The remote controllers are actually mounted under the seat with the control switches mounted--two in the console and two in the left panel under the rear speaker. I have two pigtails that come up at the front of the seat and two that come out from under the passenger seat on the left side. We simply get on the bike and plug in. The controllers are permanently mounted and always there--always available for use. The pigtails tuck out of sight when not needed.

You will want your wife's connections to be on the left side of the bike so she can face the bike, plug in, then make a half turn and mount the bike. The other reason for having them on the left side is because most heated gear has the connections on the left side.

I used Warm-N-Safe remote controllers. http://www.warmnsafe.com/dual-mounted-heat-troller-old-style/

Having a couple pairs of these comes in handy at times http://www.warmnsafe.com/dc-coax-extension-cable-2-ft-600mm/ I used two of them to extend the leads to me, since MY actual controller module is mounted towards the rear of the bike. If I had not had a fuel controller already mounted under the panel in front of the seat, the module would have fit there and the extensions wouldn't have been needed. My wife likes to use a couple when dressed heavy for really cold weather as it makes getting on and off the bike easier. We just tuck the extra length behind her.

I have found the stock wiring provided on the Vision to be more than adequate to run two sets of jackets, pants, gloves, and insoles when wired this way.

If you want to go directly to the battery, which I would think would be fine, I would be sure to fuse the power lead right next to the battery. Use a 15 amp fuse for each set of gear. Don't want a short melting down your entire bike.

Ronnie
Pops
Posted 2014-10-04 3:34 PM (#167194 - in reply to #167186)

Cruiser

Georgia On My Mind.... United States
rdbudd - 2014-10-03 11:16 PM

...I have found the stock wiring provided on the Vision to be more than adequate to run two sets of jackets, pants, gloves, and insoles when wired this way...

Thanks Ronnie,

On my Beemers I have always used the two factory plugs (Powerlet type) with great success.

I was not aware the Vision had a spare hot wire available.

I think I will do what you did. I always use the jacket mounted controllers however, as we have multiple bikes.

I will find the front hook-up wire and connect it to my Gerbing's phono type plug for me. Then tap off the trunk's cigarette plug's wiring for my wife's phono type plug.

Thanks for the tip. It will be better than running a heavy dedicated jumper wire directly from the battery.

Any tips on locating the front wire you speak of. Colors?

Great write-up!

All the best,
rdbudd
Posted 2014-10-04 10:47 PM (#167196 - in reply to #167194)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Pops - 2014-10-04 3:34 PM

rdbudd - 2014-10-03 11:16 PM

...I have found the stock wiring provided on the Vision to be more than adequate to run two sets of jackets, pants, gloves, and insoles when wired this way...

Thanks Ronnie,

On my Beemers I have always used the two factory plugs (Powerlet type) with great success.

I was not aware the Vision had a spare hot wire available.

I think I will do what you did. I always use the jacket mounted controllers however, as we have multiple bikes.

I will find the front hook-up wire and connect it to my Gerbing's phono type plug for me. Then tap off the trunk's cigarette plug's wiring for my wife's phono type plug.

Thanks for the tip. It will be better than running a heavy dedicated jumper wire directly from the battery.

Any tips on locating the front wire you speak of. Colors?

Great write-up!

All the best,

On my 2008 Vision, the spare connectors are grey in color and have the "L" shaped pattern that matches the Powerlet outlets. The one in the front was tied up under the radio. I had to lift the radio to find it, but I was removing the console anyway to install the switches. The one in the rear was tied up behind the filler panel behind the passenger seat, on the right side.

Before I got the permanently mounted controllers, I simply plugged into the existing Powerlet outlets in the glove box and trunk with two of these http://www.warmnsafe.com/bmw-plug-to-coax-jack-18-inch-adapter-cabl... and used two of these http://www.warmnsafe.com/single-portable-heat-troller-coax/ which I then plugged my heated jacket, and my wife's gear respectively, into. I simply snaked the lead through the grommet for the Ipod connector and under the radio to come out in front of the seat. I plugged another into the outlet in the trunk, snaking the lead down through the well in the trunk and out under the filler panel, by using one of those extension cords. I used that setup until I did the permanent mount. I keep those components on the bike as a backup in the event one of my other controllers should ever fail. With the heated gear, I don't carry a lot of heavy winter clothes and I don't want to ever be caught without a power source. I can always revert to them if needed.

You could do the same thing--plugging into the existing Powerlet outlets in the glove box and trunk. You could also install the optional Powerlet outlet in the panel below the rear speaker (which I did), to eliminate using the outlet inside the trunk. Be advised that the lead for it is only long enough to install in the right side. You'll most likely want an extension or two to use your jacket mounted controllers.

Those extra outlets are switched with the ignition on the front one and live all the time on the rear one.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2014-10-04 10:49 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™