You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Riding in the rain.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

varyder
Posted 2008-07-05 8:57 PM (#12932)
Subject: Riding in the rain.

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

I use an Oregan Scientific Sports Camera and find it to be a really neat little devise. It only cost about $80 at Wal-Mart and uses a 2GB card that can record about 1 1/2 hours worth of Video at 15fps. However, it is a little wavy on the bumps. It seems a little out of focus on this video because of the rain, however, it captures some good video. I went to a friends house about 45 minutes away knowing it would rain, but hey, I didn't care, I ride a Vision. I captured some proof that rain doesn't phase me, and on the Vision I don't even bother with rain gear. I found that the Scropion EXO-100 is the best rain riding helmet, for me.

Be bored or enjoy the little 10 minute ride in the rain. Well, at least one fourth of the ride since Youtube won't let you upload more than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYCKMRpTdH8

I've got the radio blasting but I think it is picking up the engine noise through the handle bars. You would think I was riding an old Model T.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
maddog
Posted 2008-07-05 11:11 PM (#12936 - in reply to #12932)
Subject: Re: Riding in the rain.

Cruiser

Nebraska
Purty cool. Looked more like drizzle though.
varyder
Posted 2008-07-05 11:33 PM (#12937 - in reply to #12936)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

maddog - 2008-07-05 11:11 PM Purty cool. Looked more like drizzle though.

I would have rated it just more than a drizzle, but quite as much as this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPuAl2sABgs

I've also posted a video called Vision Problem Solving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bJJ2KDxQ-g

Edited by varyder 2008-07-05 11:38 PM
RotnRat
Posted 2008-07-07 11:18 AM (#13025 - in reply to #12932)
Subject: RE: Riding in the rain.

Cruiser

South of Houston Tx
I took my vision from the golden gulf coast of Texas to Wisconsin last week. When I got to Texarkana I saw the storm clouds ahead but it was to early to stop for the night, so thinking I could ride out of it in 30 or 40 miles I headed on. Well thats what I get for thinking, it stormed with thunder lighting and rain coming down like a cow peeing on a flat rock all the way to Little Rock. Most of the time I couldn't see thirty foot in front of me, but as long as I stayed in front of the other vehicles and out of there back wash I was fine. I thought the vision handled great, and never felt insecure or in danger on the wet road. Even though I kept my legs tucked in as far as possible the outsides of the bottoms of my pant legs got wet although not much past my boots, I had a rain jacket on so the outsides of my arms getting wet didn't matter, but my face did get pretty wet making it even worse for visibility. I guess I need to get the longer windshield to help out there. All in all I would say that given the circumstances I stayed fairly dry and very comfortable, it was not the miserable experience it could have been.

There are a couple things I don't like about the vision in the rain, first I don't like that there is nothing on the bottom side of the windshield to stop the rain from coming under. It's not like a lot does but the drops that roll down the wind shield and fall in the cowling blow right up in my face, so even in light rain my glasses get splattered at times. Seems to me they could have put an apron of some sort on the bottom of the windshield to stop this. The other thing I noticed was that during the heavy rain I was going through in Arkansas, my radio kept cutting out like something was getting wet, so I finally just shut it off. I guess I should have had it tuned to WB before hand to find out how big the storm was! oh well lessons learned.
pollolittle
Posted 2008-07-08 8:34 AM (#13101 - in reply to #12932)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I asked the victory engineer the same exact question about the front windshield and why they didn't put a apron or some kind of device to keep it from coming through. The explanation is as follows: The gap is there to allow air flow to reduce the vacuum that is created behind a windshield. A blocking device would have created the vacuum they were trying to get rid of.
varyder
Posted 2008-07-08 9:01 AM (#13102 - in reply to #13101)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

I also notice that rain comes up through the tunnel where the forks come up. All in all, it is less annoyance from the other bike I use to ride. That one, you know you were going to get WET.

I got to hijack my own thread to ask you all to remind me I'm still riding a motorcycle. This morning on the way to work a car come from my right side into my lane to pass a truck in front of him. I refused to budge from my spot and layed on the horn until he (or she) finally noticed me and fell back to their lane. They slowed dramatically as though they relized what they almost did. However, I moseyed along like nothing ever happened. I was ready to relinquish territory if it was needed, but I was in the left track and they were in the right track splitting the white line before they finally moved back over.

pollolittle
Posted 2008-07-08 9:24 AM (#13104 - in reply to #12932)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
understand the point and the shot of Manliness testosterone. But, I wonder is a smidge of brake pad, more expensive than a runin with a 4000 pound beast of unforgiving steel, aluminum and iron. Or of course, the mixture of sand, rock and an adhesive agent, that will enjoy the petting and intimacy (you will undoubtedly encounter) it will give you as you slide along getting to know each other, like long lost lovers.
pollolittle
Posted 2008-07-08 9:24 AM (#13105 - in reply to #12932)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
lovin it twice!

Edited by pollolittle 2008-07-08 9:25 AM
varyder
Posted 2008-07-08 10:07 AM (#13111 - in reply to #13104)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

pollolittle - 2008-07-08 9:24 AM understand the point and the shot of Manliness testosterone. But, I wonder is a smidge of brake pad, more expensive than a runin with a 4000 pound beast of unforgiving steel, aluminum and iron. Or of course, the mixture of sand, rock and an adhesive agent, that will enjoy the petting and intimacy (you will undoubtedly encounter) it will give you as you slide along getting to know each other, like long lost lovers.

Thanks for the reminder there PL. I must say though it is not from a shot of Manliness testosterone, nor to prove a point. I cannot put my finger on it, but it seems it comes from a higher level of confidence that this machine will react quicker to a condition that I never felt on the other machine. I don't know why I keep highlighting this other than to find out do others feel the same way under similar circumstances. I'm not out looking for trouble, but when it comes my way, I seem to stay calmer, cooler and collected and alert to what needs to be done. Though I was sharing a lane, and had plenty of shoulder to run on, or could have accellerated or decelerated, I stood ground and attempted the horn first, which worked. On the other machine I would have either dropped backed, moved over, or jetted, with heart pounding and would have stopped to recover and to clean up, cursing the aggressor all the while. And further would have considered why I do such an insane thing as to ride a motor on two wheels vulerable to idiots. On this machine, is it just another day in the life. Maybe it is just me.

Teach
Posted 2008-07-08 12:19 PM (#13123 - in reply to #12932)

Visionary

varyder, nope I don't have that same feeling. Give me another summer on the Vision and perhaps I will be at home as I was on my Road Glides. I actually quit using my horn about 7 years ago. Had some stupid littl old lady coming over into my lane while I was "beside" her. When I hit the horn she looked BUT went right where she looked. Needless to say she came over much quicker and I was forced to get over and back rather quickly. Now I just ease off and let them do what they are gonna do. Better to live another day and all that stuff.

ps... when riding becomes another day in the life, be EXTREMELY careful, you are about to get bit. I'd sure hate to read another friend gone down post. Ride safe...... T
varyder
Posted 2008-07-08 1:19 PM (#13125 - in reply to #13123)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Teach - 2008-07-08 12:19 PM varyder, nope I don't have that same feeling. Give me another summer on the Vision and perhaps I will be at home as I was on my Road Glides. I actually quit using my horn about 7 years ago. Had some stupid littl old lady coming over into my lane while I was "beside" her. When I hit the horn she looked BUT went right where she looked. Needless to say she came over much quicker and I was forced to get over and back rather quickly. Now I just ease off and let them do what they are gonna do. Better to live another day and all that stuff. ps... when riding becomes another day in the life, be EXTREMELY careful, you are about to get bit. I'd sure hate to read another friend gone down post. Ride safe...... T

Thanks Teach. I understand your point and it is a great reminder. I don't mean to sound like I'm nonchalant about how I ride and I know that complacency will get you bit. This seems to be a little different as my mind is continually buzzing about what is going on up, back, left and right in anticipation of the worst. This morning incident I was literally beside them, about at the drivers mirror when I saw the turn signal come on. I thought intially they would just wait for me to pass until I saw the fender coming in on me, so I laid on the horn. Then they faded back over behind the truck they were attempting to pass. I did think to myself "oh great, that's what I need." and I was poised to react, but not in a panic. When they, it, whatever they were moved out of my territory I just continued on at my same pace some position as though nothing had just happened. However, it is still yet another reminder of how vulerable we are, I've just reacted a lot different since riding the Vision. When you speak of being at home on the bike, I have felt I was home from day one, which makes the Vision all the better. Thanks on the tip about the horn, you are right they could have zipped over faster if they were startled. The next time, I will take evasive action instead of hitting the horn.

I recall one day many years okay buzzing down the road when a lady pulled out in front me from a side street. I slowed so I could go behind her as she went. However, she sees me and stops dead in the tracks with her mouth wide open looking at me. Now I'm faced with no place to go behind her because I would have been eating curb. I choose to go in front of her hoping she'll keep her foot on the brake until I get by, which she did. Had I tried for a panic stop I would have probably hit her in the side. It's all in the chance we take.

Ridin' Safe!

Magic
Posted 2008-07-08 1:39 PM (#13126 - in reply to #13111)

Cruiser

San Antonio, Texas
varyder - 2008-07-08 9:07 AM

p>

I cannot put my finger on it, but it seems it comes from a higher level of confidence that this machine will react quicker to a condition that I never felt on the other machine. I don't know why I keep highlighting this other than to find out do others feel the same way under similar circumstances. I'm not out looking for trouble, but when it comes my way, I seem to stay calmer, cooler and collected and alert to what needs to be done.

OK, Varyder--I have to agree with you and the way you stated your case. Although I've only been on my Vision for a few days and a few hundred miles, I have that same sense that you have trouble putting your finger on. Just the other day, I was running behind my brother-in-law when he overran a highway entrance, braked hard and swerved onto the highway (barely staying on the road surface), I just tapped the brakes and made the turn. Like you said, I was calmer, cooler and more collected than I would have been on any other bike I've ridden in the last 30 years. Staying alert is certainly a MUST DO, but it's nice to know that you ride a machine that can meet your expectations and then some........
exharleyrider
Posted 2008-07-23 12:25 AM (#14188 - in reply to #12932)

Cruiser

Have to agree with you both. 1000 miles on the vision and I find myself reacting like i'm still on the ultra and then realizing I can make that manuever, i just have to let the bike do what it is designed to do. really impressed with that aspect of being a new vision rider. Same feeling inthe twisties. I always ride sweeper and i don't find myself having to play catch up out of the curves like i did on the uultra. only problem i see is that i might forget to put my feet doen at the stop light when i do stop.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™