You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

First long distance ride on Vivi (Kyle Petty Charity Ride)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

GAgirlTrixie
Posted 2008-07-09 11:10 PM (#13273)
Subject: First long distance ride on Vivi (Kyle Petty Charity Ride)

Tourer

Savannah, GA -Year round riding!! Yay!

Hubby & I left home on Monday morning to head up to the beginning of The Kyle Petty Charity Ride Across America. Here's the route that we took:

View Larger Map

1183.2 miles, 21:21 moving time... that is a 55 mph moving average... not bad, considering we tried to avoid Interstates, unless we were trying to avoid a storm. Rode through one Tornado Warning in Van Wert, Ohio, and the Cumberland Gap through a downpour. Overnighted in Middleboro, KY (Definitely the epitome of a a "sleepy little town". We left the hotel at 6:35 a.m., looking for breakfast. Nothing, not even the Waffle King, opened until 7:00!!!), then Auburn, Indiana.

My observations on the great states that I rode through: Left Georgia "The Peach State" (where I have lived for 5 years), never saw a single peach (never have....), then through South Carolina "The Palmetto State", saw lots of Palmettos and palmetto bugs. On to North Carolina "The Tar Heel State", only tar I saw was on the paved roads, mostly in the form of "Tar Snakes', which I'm not terribly fond of in this heat. In Tennessee, "The Volunteer State", I didn't ask who was being compensated or not, so I might have seen a Volunteer or 2..... In Kentucky, "The Bluegrass State", I saw not a single blade of bluegrass, but the grass was much greener than at home. Ohio, "The Buckeye State", I saw no Buckeyes, but I did see several worthless nuts. Indiana, "The Hoosier State", we went out to eat that night, so I am sure that I saw a Hoosier or two. Finally, in Michigan, "The Wolverine State", I am hoping not to see a single Wolverine. On Sunday, we head out north, back home by way of Wisconsin, "The Dairy State". I feel pretty sure, based on past experience of this ride so far, that I will see some cows, maybe even eat some cheese....

The bikes that were shipped were being unloaded in the parking lot tonight while hubby and I were putting our covers on our bikes. "King" Richard (Petty)'s bike was out there. I will have to get pics. He has a black Tour Vision. The brushed aluminum has been painted Petty blue, with slightly darker blue pinstripes.

Now, my review of my Vision for the ride: Most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. The highway pegs were the best thing I have put on. When were road through the mountains of NC, including the Tail of the Dragon, the crash bars scrape way before the movable floorboards (I'm not fond of that feeling). 6th gear is awesome. Passing on the highway and dropping down to 5th is cool. Rain coverage is good. The stereo and CB leave a lot to be desired. I had my headset on mix at one point, hit a bump going over some railroad tracks, and my controls went haywire!!! Volume went all the way up, then locked, no way to turn down volume or turn off, CB wouldn't transmit (Finally got signaled to hubby, so we could pull off and I could turn the bike on and off, problem was soled, but what a P.I.T.A.!!). Several times, when adjusting the volume through the handle bar switch, the CB volume got turned all the way down. Another P.I.T.A., having to go through the "Mode" switch for 8 pushes to get to the control for CB volume. (would like an immediate control for that on the switch).

Overall, I was very pleased with my ViVi for this trip. A few quirks, that were annoying that the time, but nothing that was incapacitating or would make me choose another bike (unless it was gifted to me, of course!)

(I saw a silver Visiob parked in a parking lot in a store when we came into town this afternoon around 2 pm. Was that anyone here? We were on 37....)

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rebel
Posted 2008-07-10 7:13 AM (#13280 - in reply to #13273)
Subject: Re: First long distance ride on Vivi (Kyle Petty Charity Ride)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
Hey, Trix, are y'all going to be hanging around in Traverse City until the ride starts? If so, perhaps the wife and I could ride up there Friday and meet y'all for lunch. I know there's someone else here from TC (golfer, perhaps...?), so maybe we could get a little Vision-Riders convention.
GAgirlTrixie
Posted 2008-07-10 8:25 AM (#13283 - in reply to #13280)

Tourer

That sounds like a plan! My cell is (912) 713-1481. Give me a yell!!

Magic
Posted 2008-07-10 10:40 AM (#13291 - in reply to #13273)
Subject: RE: First long distance ride on Vivi (Kyle Petty Charity Ride)

Cruiser

San Antonio, Texas
So, now we can add King Richard to the list of celebrities that are hooking up with the Victory Vision! Sonny Barger, now Petty......who's next? Jay Leno?
golfer
Posted 2008-07-10 10:59 AM (#13292 - in reply to #13273)

Cruiser

There is a bike night tonight about an hour from Traverse City. A group leaves my house in Traverse City at 5:30 tonight. If you want to go with us, let me know and I can give you directions. I am assuming you are at the resort...My house is about 6 miles away from you. We go to Waters, MI for the bike night there. About an hour ride there, have food, and then return and maybe hit another stop on the way back. We usually get back to Traverse by 10:00.
GAgirlTrixie
Posted 2008-07-10 7:54 PM (#13326 - in reply to #13292)

Tourer

I'm sorry, golfer. This is the first chance I've been online since I posted this morning. We rode up the Mission Peninsula today. A bucnh of the other participants have been arriving today, and will be getting here tomorrow. Tomorrow we've decided to ride the M-22 loop around the western peninsula. Man, there are some pretty roads here!
Rebel
Posted 2008-07-10 10:38 PM (#13336 - in reply to #13273)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
Left a message on your phone, Trixie. Wife and I will be in town around 11 AM.
GAgirlTrixie
Posted 2008-07-11 5:07 PM (#13368 - in reply to #13273)

Tourer

Rebel, it was great meeting you and your wife today!

Y'all talk about 'bumping' into someone! The good thing about driving this heading turning machine.... My phone dies up here (warranty issue, but it can't be replaced until I get back to Savannah). I was pulling out of the AT&T store, having bought a little used phone, just to be able to have SOMETHING. I knew I had a voice mail, but hadn't been able to get to it, because my charging port went bad on my Blackberry... I was was pulling out to go back to the hotel to plug the replacement into the charger, so I could try to see if Rebel and his wife were still in the area, when I see this Midnight Cherry Tour Premium go by.... I raced to catch up to it, thinking... "That might be Rebel". He pulls into a parking lot, having seen me.  We both pull up to each other going "You from the Vision Riders board?", and that's how I met Rebel & his lovely wife for lunch!

Anyway, here's a pic of Richard Petty's Vision:
Richard Petty's Vision

Rebel
Posted 2008-07-18 5:45 AM (#13784 - in reply to #13273)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
Hey, Trixie, we really enjoyed riding up there to meet you for lunch. And who would have thought that we would be able to just run into each other like that?

I hope the ride went well. Y'all should be home by now and I'd love to hear about the trip and see any pictures that you took. How'd you like the Tunnel of Trees? I know it doesn't quite compare to Deal's Gap, but as flat and straight as everything is around here we have to cherish what few winding roads we have .
Tramp
Posted 2008-07-19 7:32 PM (#13846 - in reply to #13368)

Cruiser

Cool picture of Richard's bike. Thanks for posting it.
You'll have to tell us about the ride.
I got to see everyone come in to Gettysburg last year.
Everyone we talked to was very nice.
space_cwboy
Posted 2008-07-19 10:39 PM (#13856 - in reply to #13273)

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
I see that the bike that Richard Petty's Vision that he rode on the charity ride is up for sale on EBay. He autographed it......

Edited by space_cwboy 2008-07-19 10:39 PM
GAgirlTrixie
Posted 2008-07-20 10:19 PM (#13935 - in reply to #13784)

Tourer

Well, Rebel, we rolled into Savannah yesterday afternoon. 2600 miles since leaving Traverse City, 3602 miles since I left my driveway. Wow, I couldn't believe that the Tunnel of Trees was a 2 way road! (I know you warned me.... Glad I wasn't in my GMC.... ) When we went through the ToTs and across that bridge, it was a terribly windy day. 30-40 mph crosswinds as we crossed the bridge (We got the concrete lane, thankfully....). I can put that on the list of "Things I never want to do again".

Otherwise, the ride was great! Met more fantastic people, saw some great sites, brought the word of the Victory Junction Gang Camp to many more people.

I am still getting pics together. Here is a pic a friend of mine took as hubby and I were rolling into the fuel stop in Suwanee, GA.
Hubby; on WIng, me on Vision

And now I can update my ride map.

create your own personalized map of the USA

Code Blue
Posted 2008-07-21 3:32 AM (#13942 - in reply to #13273)

Puddle Jumper

Well I guess we influenced each other cause when I got home from my NW reg. Meet today a black Vision was sitting in my garage, Have I mentioned how much I love my Southern Bell. It was a sad day for my when I had to bow out of the KPCR this year, and I'm pleased to read y'all had fun..
Michael
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™