You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Starting in gear
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

divesharc
Posted 2008-06-29 9:13 PM (#12582)
Subject: Starting in gear

Cruiser

VA
OK, this isn't entirely a tech forum question, so I pose it here. Are you able to start your Vision while in gear? A couple of weeks ago I accidentally stalled it out, and when I tried to start it, I had to shift to neutral to start. I assumed that this was some safety thing they did to prevent you starting it while in gear. Although, my last bike, you were able to start in gear as long as the clutch was pulled in, and the kickstand was up. So, looking at the service manual the other day, and I see that there is a switch on the clutch. According to this, I SHOULD be able to start it as long as the clutch is disengaged (is clutch lever pulled in). So, before I email the dealer and tell them there is a problem, I wanted to see if this is some type of error in the manual, or if my switch is not functioning. I appreciate any responses. It's not often that I've stalled, once I think actually, but it's a pain trying to get it back to neutral while cars are lined up behind you and you already feel like I jacka$$. Thanks fo the reply.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
devilboy
Posted 2008-06-29 9:17 PM (#12583 - in reply to #12582)
Subject: RE: Starting in gear

Cruiser

Central Florida
divesharc - 2008-06-29 9:13 PM

OK, this isn't entirely a tech forum question, so I pose it here. Are you able to start your Vision while in gear? A couple of weeks ago I accidentally stalled it out, and when I tried to start it, I had to shift to neutral to start. I assumed that this was some safety thing they did to prevent you starting it while in gear. Although, my last bike, you were able to start in gear as long as the clutch was pulled in, and the kickstand was up. So, looking at the service manual the other day, and I see that there is a switch on the clutch. According to this, I SHOULD be able to start it as long as the clutch is disengaged (is clutch lever pulled in). So, before I email the dealer and tell them there is a problem, I wanted to see if this is some type of error in the manual, or if my switch is not functioning. I appreciate any responses. It's not often that I've stalled, once I think actually, but it's a pain trying to get it back to neutral while cars are lined up behind you and you already feel like I jacka$$. Thanks fo the reply.

You can start your bike in gear with clutch fully disengaged. Kickstand is not interlocked like most japanese bikes..
divesharc
Posted 2008-06-29 9:23 PM (#12584 - in reply to #12582)
Subject: Re: Starting in gear

Cruiser

VA
THanks, I just wanted someone else to tell me their's worked. Appreciate it.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-06-30 7:04 PM (#12631 - in reply to #12582)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i was wondering if this was normal as every other bike i have owned i actually turned the bike Off by putting the kickstand down while it was in gear.
Magic
Posted 2008-06-30 9:07 PM (#12640 - in reply to #12582)

Cruiser

San Antonio, Texas
Hey, Arkainzeye,

Are you another one of the VROC converts? I just sold my '96 Vulcan Classic 1500 three weeks ago and ordered a Vision Saturday that should be here and ready to roll this Thursday. I think that there is getting to be a nice little representative group here from VROC. I know I've seen others in here after they got their Visions. Hope this group can be as helpful and brotherly as VROC has been to me over the years.
divesharc
Posted 2008-07-01 1:39 AM (#12653 - in reply to #12582)

Cruiser

VA
I wasn't a member of VROC, but my last bike was a Vulcan Mean Streak. Nice ride, but NO comparison to the Vision. But, I put a good number of butt sore miles on that bike. I'd say that I'd miss her but I sold her to my buddy, so I still get visitation.
mike s
Posted 2008-07-01 9:50 AM (#12666 - in reply to #12582)

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
There is no sidestand switch on any Victory motorcycle.

There is a neutral safety circuit that will allow you to start the bike either with the clutch disengaged OR the trans in neutral. If you have the bike in neutral, you can start the bike with the clutch handle out. If you are in gear, the clutch must be pulling in. If it works any other way, there is a defect somewhere.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™