You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Coolent level
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

g1nomad
Posted 2008-06-20 4:17 PM (#12143)
Subject: Coolent level

Tourer

SC, Bluffton
How in the heck do I check the radiator fluid? With this hot summer, the last
think I want is a radiator problem and a seized up engine.

I am getting some green puke on my Kawasaki 2000. I posted some pics on the
Kawasaki board, and they said just to check the hose clamps, as it is a very slow
leak. Very slow, but still an extra component that needs attention.

Herb
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Desertwinds
Posted 2008-06-20 4:35 PM (#12144 - in reply to #12143)
Subject: RE: Coolent level

Puddle Jumper

Las Vegas, NV
Ummm, there is no coolant to check on the Vision. Just keep your oil filled and fresh. DW
Rebel
Posted 2008-06-20 11:40 PM (#12166 - in reply to #12143)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
g1nomad - 2008-06-20 4:17 PM

How in the heck do I check the radiator fluid? With this hot summer, the last
think I want is a radiator problem and a seized up engine.

Are you serious, or just funnin' us?
divesharc
Posted 2008-06-20 11:51 PM (#12167 - in reply to #12143)
Subject: Re: Coolent level

Cruiser

VA
nomad, if you are refering to the coolant in your Kawasaki, it should be the same as my old Mean Streak, and on the right side(from driving point of view) there is a plastic cover below the seat. You take that off and the coolant resovoir is there.

If you are referring to the Vision, you're out of luck.
varyder
Posted 2008-06-21 12:21 AM (#12172 - in reply to #12167)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
sniff, sniff, does that smell like rice boiling????
g1nomad
Posted 2008-06-21 4:46 PM (#12187 - in reply to #12166)

Tourer

SC, Bluffton
Rebel - 2008-06-20 11:40 PM

Are you serious, or just funnin' us?

Oh just funnin' ya, but also pointing out we have one less thing to worry about.

I did check the oil on the Vision for the 1st time the other day. Dang, can you get
a bigger dip stick then that? If you checked & wiped that thing about 10 times, I
think you'd be down 1/4 quart.
divesharc
Posted 2008-06-22 9:07 AM (#12195 - in reply to #12143)

Cruiser

VA
varyder, yes I was a rice rider. But you know, I actually enjoyed it a great deal. I love the Vision, I do, but I actually wish they had water cooled the engine. It gets a little hot. I was riding home on the interstate, buddy had to get back, and of course we got caught in a back-up (I-95). It was getting a little hot on the legs. I love the Vision, but after riding a water cooled bike, engine heat was not something I even thought about before buying the Vision. Now, it's sometimes a real concern. Thankfully, I haven't had it overheat, but I wonder what it would take for it to overheat. I hate to be on teh side of the road with the Harley guys on a hot day...I'd never hear the end of it.

Just out of curiousity, what is the renetment to water cooled? Is it just because it is a metric trait, and American bikes are traditionally air cooled, or is there a valid mechanical reason that people don't like water cooled bikes? I know you've got a radiator that doesn't always look great on a cruiser, but with the Vision, you wouldn't see it anyways with the large fairing and intake. Not trying to rile people up, just get a honest reason why some people hate a water cooled bike.

Edited by divesharc 2008-06-22 9:10 AM
lowtone9
Posted 2008-06-22 9:43 AM (#12198 - in reply to #12195)

Cruiser

Liquid cooling is doing the same thing our air cooling is doing, removing engine heat. The engine in a liquid cooled bike may operate through a narrower temperature band, but a liquid cooled engine does not make less heat. The heat it removes has to be transfered to air, via the radiator, just like our air-cooled engine.

It`s all about how the air is directed. Go ride an FJR sometime, eh?
varyder
Posted 2008-06-22 12:06 PM (#12205 - in reply to #12195)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

divesharc - 2008-06-22 9:07 AM varyder, yes I was a rice rider. But you know, I actually enjoyed it a great deal. I love the Vision, I do, but I actually wish they had water cooled the engine. It gets a little hot. I was riding home on the interstate, buddy had to get back, and of course we got caught in a back-up (I-95). It was getting a little hot on the legs. I love the Vision, but after riding a water cooled bike, engine heat was not something I even thought about before buying the Vision. Now, it's sometimes a real concern. Thankfully, I haven't had it overheat, but I wonder what it would take for it to overheat. I hate to be on teh side of the road with the Harley guys on a hot day...I'd never hear the end of it. Just out of curiousity, what is the renetment to water cooled? Is it just because it is a metric trait, and American bikes are traditionally air cooled, or is there a valid mechanical reason that people don't like water cooled bikes? I know you've got a radiator that doesn't always look great on a cruiser, but with the Vision, you wouldn't see it anyways with the large fairing and intake. Not trying to rile people up, just get a honest reason why some people hate a water cooled bike.

Sorry for taking an unwarranted jab. I just came off of a Goldwing, and have only owned "rice" bikes for various reasons until now. However, I have a fond admiration for any two wheels. My personal feeling is that there is less to take care or break without the watercool (hoses, pump, thermostat, contamination) engine. They indeed have a great track record, but there is something "clean" about a V-twin. There again, just my opinion and preference.

tralphaz
Posted 2008-06-22 2:29 PM (#12210 - in reply to #12198)

Tourer

lowtone9 - 2008-06-22 6:43 AM

Liquid cooling is doing the same thing our air cooling is doing, removing engine heat. The engine in a liquid cooled bike may operate through a narrower temperature band, but a liquid cooled engine does not make less heat. The heat it removes has to be transfered to air, via the radiator, just like our air-cooled engine.

Oil is a liquid.
divesharc
Posted 2008-06-22 11:34 PM (#12236 - in reply to #12143)

Cruiser

VA
lowtone, isn't that the point of a water cooled engine? To get the heat away from the engine and the rider? It supplements the air going past the heat sink fins of the cylnders. That's what makes it nice, at least for the rider, is that the heat is being absorbed by the water and taken away from the rider to the radiator...which coincidentally is not nearly as close to my nuts. lol
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™