You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

XM installation
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

GAgirlTrixie
Posted 2008-05-12 8:15 AM (#10103)
Subject: XM installation

Tourer

Savannah, GA -Year round riding!! Yay!
Ok, hubby and I installed the audio harness and the CB. We're getting ready to put my Zumo 550 on, which I have an XM antenna for. I figure, if I have to wire in that ugly antenna permanently, I might as well get the Polaris unit, so at least it's integrated into my system. Has anyone installed the XM on their own? Especially with a Zumo? After the PItB CB installation, we are wondering if we want to tackle this or let the dealer do it.....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
devilboy
Posted 2008-05-12 7:44 PM (#10135 - in reply to #10103)
Subject: RE: XM installation

Cruiser

Central Florida
GAgirlTrixie - 2008-05-12 8:15 AM

Ok, hubby and I installed the audio harness and the CB. We're getting ready to put my Zumo 550 on, which I have an XM antenna for. I figure, if I have to wire in that ugly antenna permanently, I might as well get the Polaris unit, so at least it's integrated into my system. Has anyone installed the XM on their own? Especially with a Zumo? After the PItB CB installation, we are wondering if we want to tackle this or let the dealer do it.....

for what its worth I did the XM antenna with Garmin 2820. plugs right into mini USB
and works like a charm. The antenna for Victory XM unit is VERY small and will be virtually invisible to you. The wiring on the other hand probably sucks. Most of their additions and upgrades have been more trouble than they appear.
GAgirlTrixie
Posted 2008-05-12 10:10 PM (#10137 - in reply to #10135)

Tourer

Thanks, Mark. You did the Polaris XM or the Garmin XM antenna? I really like the thought of the unobtrusive Polaris XM. The Garmin XM is butt ugly. I have one on my other bikes, which I move to bike to bike, with the GPS. But, since there's nowhere to put the magnetic antenna on the Vision, I'm gonna have to permanently wire it in. I'm kinda skeered, 'cause the wiring harness installation was a MAJOR pain in the patooty!! And it didn't look so bad on paper.....
devilboy
Posted 2008-05-12 11:23 PM (#10141 - in reply to #10137)

Cruiser

Central Florida
GAgirlTrixie - 2008-05-12 10:10 PM

Thanks, Mark. You did the Polaris XM or the Garmin XM antenna? I really like the thought of the unobtrusive Polaris XM. The Garmin XM is butt ugly. I have one on my other bikes, which I move to bike to bike, with the GPS. But, since there's nowhere to put the magnetic antenna on the Vision, I'm gonna have to permanently wire it in. I'm kinda skeered, 'cause the wiring harness installation was a MAJOR pain in the patooty!! And it didn't look so bad on paper.....

I did the XM antenna on the 2820. Yes it is fugly and big BUT it doesnt have to be used as a magnetic mount though. I used extra heavy duty velcro and semi permanently mounted it. I ran wire through front of bike and ran it up and under the control panel. when I move it to my car, I just unsnap the connector and leave the wires(actually an extension) mounted on the bike. If you want pix I can email em to you.
Traffic warning works well on XM if your metro area is on their list. Orlando, tampa, jacksonville and Miami area are all on the list.
Spock
Posted 2008-05-13 12:48 AM (#10148 - in reply to #10141)

Tourer

Carrollton, TX

I installed the Vision XM radio option and it was pretty straight forward and works great. I also have the Garmin Zumo 550 installed as well. The Vision XM radio installs in the front little cubbyhole behind the right side saddle bag door in front of the main storage area. You have to use a hole saw and drill a round hole in that area to mount the unit and the unit plugs into the same wiring harness you installed for the CB radio.

BTW if you use a 3.5mm right angle audio cable with bare tinted ends on the other end, plug it into the audio out of the Zumo 550 and slice the bare ends into the audio wires that come off the wiring harness for the Garmin 2720 it works just like the 2720 or 2820 units. While the Zumo 550 has stereo output you just connect the left and right together and turn the signal to mono to connect to the wiring harness and it works fine. This way you will get direction announcements coming over the sound system just like the 2720 unit.

If you use the Garmin XM radio receiver and antenna you will not have the level of integration you have with the Vision factory unit. To get stereo you will have to forgo the iPod integration option an use the standard mp3 plug to connect into the Garmin unit and you will have to have Aux selected to get XM and if you are listening to anything other than Aux you will not get the direction announcements as they will only come over the Aux setting with this configuration.

Fergy and I almost have the mic in the helmet working with the Zumo 550 and our Bluetooth cell phones to receive and make calls which will be really cool. I am glad I went with the Zumo 550 now that you can integrate it with the same level of functionality as the 2720 or 2820 plus you have all the additional functionality of the 550. The only thing you give up using the Vision XM radio option is the traffic and weather service options available through Garmin with their solution integrated with their GPS. Either way there are some tradeoffs but I think there are less and smaller ones when using the Vision XM option.

Edited by Spock 2008-05-13 12:50 AM
devilboy
Posted 2008-05-13 3:06 AM (#10152 - in reply to #10103)

Cruiser

Central Florida
Mine is wired in such a way that GPS announcements overide all other things(IPOD, FM etc) when requested to function in this way. I do not use turn by turn instructions, I find it too annoying.
The GPS and XM radio (and traffic) are dominant over all other sources.. I am also able to pair by blackjack with bluetooth headset as well.
GAgirlTrixie
Posted 2008-05-13 9:14 PM (#10195 - in reply to #10103)

Tourer

Thanks, Mark & Craig. I am still torn, but at least less fearful of this installation. I love my Zumo. I have an old power cord from a 2839 in the garage (hubby had one on his Wing, then he got a Zumo, after I got mine.). I like the idea of the Zumo with the full integration of the 2820.... I wish that Savannah was in the traffic alert network, but, alas, it's not. And I forgot that they antenna can be unplugged from the wire....

On related note. I have been trying to update my maps from the Garmin website, but keep getting an error message on the site. SO, today, while walking through Wally World, I notice that they have the DVD for the Garmin 2009 update, so I bought it. Went to update my map, and got the same error message that the Garmin site is having technical difficulties....*GRRRRR* (But the DVD was $67 @ Wally World. It would've been $75 on the website)

Edited by GAgirlTrixie 2008-05-13 9:17 PM
bigwill5150
Posted 2008-06-22 8:25 PM (#12221 - in reply to #10103)
Subject: Re: XM installation

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
I find $400 for a $100 (USD) XM module to be a rip-off. I am betting that anyone willing to replace the complete harness with a generic one (from any electronics repair warehouse) can pull off an XM hack with full integration and professional results. There is a chance that the connector harness used on the Victory is a clone from some other (less expensive) module. I will have to check on the data protocol between the two receivers. Victory data protocol for the XM module is probably aligned with whatever is most readily existing (just as it is for Ipod; after all, they don't make a specific Ipod for the Victory). As good as the service manual I bought for the Vision is, it does not dive down to that level. Maybe we can figure this out together? I am hijacking this thread and digressing... Any XM guru's, please chime in here.

Edited by bigwill5150 2008-06-22 8:28 PM
pretzelman
Posted 2008-06-22 10:15 PM (#12229 - in reply to #10103)

Puddle Jumper

Rockaway N.J.
I mounted my serius sportser on the handle bar. Used the power supply from battery tender plug & the rest of the system is self contained [antena etc.]. love it no problems works through regular fm

silver premium tourer
Spock
Posted 2008-06-22 10:35 PM (#12231 - in reply to #12221)
Subject: Re: XM installation

Tourer

Carrollton, TX

bigwill5150 - 2008-06-22 7:25 PM I find $400 for a $100 (USD) XM module to be a rip-off. I am betting that anyone willing to replace the complete harness with a generic one (from any electronics repair warehouse) can pull off an XM hack with full integration and professional results. There is a chance that the connector harness used on the Victory is a clone from some other (less expensive) module. I will have to check on the data protocol between the two receivers. Victory data protocol for the XM module is probably aligned with whatever is most readily existing (just as it is for Ipod; after all, they don't make a specific Ipod for the Victory). As good as the service manual I bought for the Vision is, it does not dive down to that level. Maybe we can figure this out together? I am hijacking this thread and digressing... Any XM guru's, please chime in here.

I believe the XM radio option from Victory is from Radio Sound the same company that makes the audio system for them. I installed it myself and it uses a special proprietary connector to connect to the audio wiring harness. You are not going to see another solution that will integrate with the Vision’s audio system. Yes it is more money but in my opinion it is worth the functionality you get as a fully integrated solution.  

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™