You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Review of Clear Lower Wind Deflectors
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

TimS
Posted 2008-06-16 8:59 PM (#11950)
Subject: Review of Clear Lower Wind Deflectors

Iron Butt

In short, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

I ordered the clear lower wind deflectors.  They came with the wrong adhesive, so I ordered the 3M -20 degree to +200 degree adhesive and installed them according to the instructions.  The mounts on the wind deflectors are smooth so there is nothing for the adhesive to grab onto.  I waited 24 hours after installation for the adhesive to set up and then gave it a quick test run.  Around 10 miles into the 80 degree highway test run, the right deflector flew off and hit my leg and then committed suicide in the 12-lane rush hour traffic.  The adhesive was still stuck on the front fender quite well and the deflector scratched the front panel on the way off.

I do NOT recommend these until they have the bugs worked out.  If you already have them, I would strongly suggest scuffing up the back of the mounts before applying the heavy duty adhesive.

Sincerely,

Tim 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
varyder
Posted 2008-06-17 7:59 AM (#11962 - in reply to #11950)
Subject: RE: Review of Clear Lower Wind Deflectors

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Tim, I've not held one of these babys yet, but is there enough mounting to drill a hole and fix it to the fairing with a shiney chrome screw or bolt? I see the cringing all around, but if I mount these, they are there to stay, so drilling out mounting holes will fix that problem. Here's my bag, NO MATTER how good the glue is, it will fail some time down the road, maybe a few years. But I don't want to be standing there about 5 years from now and somebody grabs hold and says "How's these thing work?" and then be standing with it in there hand with a dumb look.

g1nomad
Posted 2008-06-17 6:04 PM (#11980 - in reply to #11950)

Tourer

SC, Bluffton
TimS - 2008-06-16 8:59 PM

Around 10 miles into the 80 degree highway test run, the right deflector flew off and hit my leg and then committed suicide in the 12-lane rush hour traffic.

Sorry about that loss. I know they weren't free. Thank you for the heads up.

Herb
TimS
Posted 2008-06-17 6:13 PM (#11982 - in reply to #11962)

Iron Butt

As for drilling, I wouldn't be surprised if the feet or quarter panel might crack.  Also have to avoid puncturing the fuel tank.

Tim 

Spock
Posted 2008-06-17 6:15 PM (#11983 - in reply to #11980)

Tourer

Carrollton, TX

Fergy replaced the tape on his for the correct 3M tape and they are rock solid. He has tested them at 100 degrees plus, riding at speeds over 100 mph, heading into 30 mph head winds, and they where rock solid. He did not rough up the paint on the bracket. The only way you will get these brackets off his bike now would be to use a heat gun and fishing line and a lot of glue gone.

I am not sure what went wrong for you Tim but the right tape should hold fine. I think the instructions on the tape say you need 72 hours for the tape to cure 100% so maybe you should have given more time for the tape to set before riding the bike.

I have a new set on order with the new tape from Victory through my dealer.

TimS
Posted 2008-06-17 6:21 PM (#11984 - in reply to #11983)

Iron Butt

You are right, the 3M instructions state 72 hours.

The Victory instructions state 24 hours.  The adhesive stuck better to the bike than it did to the feet of the deflectors.

Tim 

Spock
Posted 2008-06-17 6:59 PM (#11988 - in reply to #11984)

Tourer

Carrollton, TX
TimS - 2008-06-17 5:21 PM

You are right, the 3M instructions state 72 hours.

The Victory instructions state 24 hours.  The adhesive stuck better to the bike than it did to the feet of the deflectors.

Tim 

I am hoping Fergy will chime in here with some more feedback on his installation but I know he pulled hard on his after it set while it was about 100 degrees out and he felt the fairing would crack or brake before the tape on either side would come loose.

I know the hardest thing about this installation is not riding the Vision for 72 hours. Hell 24 hours of not riding the Vision and I am starting to climb the walls.

Fergy
Posted 2008-06-17 7:47 PM (#11991 - in reply to #11950)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX
Mine are still on rock solid. I think you need to let the tape cure longer. I had it out a few days ago at 100 MPH into a hard wind and it was about 95 degrees or better here in Texas. I also let the bike sit out for about an hour in the hot Texas sun and the tape didn't budge. So far, I love these things. It's so hot here, that they're almost necessary because when turned all the way in the wind takes all the heat off my legs.
Fergy
Posted 2008-06-17 7:53 PM (#11992 - in reply to #11988)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX
Spock - 2008-06-17 5:59 PM I am hoping Fergy will chime in here with some more feedback on his installation but I know he pulled hard on his after it set while it was about 100 degrees out and he felt the fairing would crack or brake before the tape on either side would come loose.

I know the hardest thing about this installation is not riding the Vision for 72 hours. Hell 24 hours of not riding the Vision and I am starting to climb the walls.

I can't be 100% sure that mine won't fall off tomorrow, but so far I believe they're stuck there for all time. Rock solid and they work great. I let mine cure for quite a while; at least 3-4 days before riding. I've had it to 100+ several times since installed and so far they haven't budged a bit. I bet if you sand paper the back of the mounts a bit that they'll hold better.

As far as bolting them on, I think that is possible too. The fairing at that point is just plastic so you should be able to drill holes through the mount and into the fairing. One hole on the top bracket and one on the bottom should be all you need and keep the tape on there for support. It's easy to reach behind the fairing to hold the nut to tighten it all down. The only thing is you need to make sure you make the hole in the bracket look nice since it will be visible.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™