You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Read This About Leg Heat
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

CmyVision
Posted 2008-07-14 5:39 PM (#13561 - in reply to #13406)
Subject: RE: Read This About Leg Heat

Puddle Jumper

Temecula, California
I didn't know there was a heat problem until reading a thread here. What I discovered is that I always ride with my chaps on, one day I didn't and I finally felt the heat you guy's are always talking about. Soooooo wear chaps. I know the next remark will be "on a hot day I don't want to wear chaps". Guy's chaps are cooler than the engine heat, your choice.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
exharleyrider
Posted 2008-07-22 9:48 PM (#14131 - in reply to #13406)
Subject: Re: Read This About Leg Heat

Cruiser

just traded the ultra in on the vision. was out this weekend and it was 98 degrees. heat was about the same as the harley without lowers except my harley boots had an adverse reaction to the vision and my right foot felt like it was on fire even at highway speeds. i keep my feet out on the roll over pads also. it's a big twin and i expect heat especially with the fairing without removable lowers. it was nice riding at that temp and not overheating and breaking down. so far i like the vision better but would quarrel with the statement that the riding position is better. imho it is equal. what's up with the small power port in the glove box?
Rebel
Posted 2008-07-22 9:53 PM (#14135 - in reply to #13406)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
what's up with the small power port in the glove box?
It's for plugging in heated clothing. There's a thread here somewhere that discusses some of the things to do with it. There's a couple of links to some adapters to different types of plugs and a descrption of how to replace it with your Joe Basic cigarette-type port.

And welcome to the Victory Vision Club.
varyder
Posted 2008-07-22 9:57 PM (#14136 - in reply to #14131)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

exharleyrider - 2008-07-22 9:48 PM just traded the ultra in on the vision. was out this weekend and it was 98 degrees. heat was about the same as the harley without lowers except my harley boots had an adverse reaction to the vision and my right foot felt like it was on fire even at highway speeds. i keep my feet out on the roll over pads also. it's a big twin and i expect heat especially with the fairing without removable lowers. it was nice riding at that temp and not overheating and breaking down. so far i like the vision better but would quarrel with the statement that the riding position is better. imho it is equal. what's up with the small power port in the glove box?

Of all fairness I cannot say that the Vision sits better than any Harley only because I've only rode one Harley, but I must admit the floorboards on the Vision are worth the Texas two-step when it comes to the long run.

The small plug is for an MP3 player and can be replace with a iPod dohicky from your local Victory stealer. The other plug is the BMW style power supply. There is one in the tour pack on the Tour models as well. You can even have one added to the console for the air conditioned jump suits. Well, heated jackets, that's air conditioning isn't it?

Welcome XHR!!

exharleyrider
Posted 2008-07-22 10:48 PM (#14158 - in reply to #13406)

Cruiser

Thanks guys. I found the powerlet web page about the power port. Victory Stealer also has an adapter for 20 bucks but like everything else they are on back order. You guys seem to have some options I didn't get, like the extra power port in the trunk. tThere is also a plug under the trim panel in front of the seat. I think I could use that to plug in a port.
maddog
Posted 2008-08-03 9:31 PM (#15137 - in reply to #13454)

Cruiser

Nebraska
maddog - 2008-07-13 10:05 AM

How do they help when sitting in traffic ? That's the only time the heat bothers me.

I changed my mind. Its been in the high 90's low 100's here the last few days. I ordered the vents yesterday. Still think they look like crap though.

Edited by maddog 2008-08-03 9:32 PM
varyder
Posted 2008-08-03 11:15 PM (#15142 - in reply to #13406)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I'm still holding out. I rode a dealer demo and I found they do work. But to me the heat is not an issue. I hear also a plus is that in the winter it creates a bigger pocket to keep the heat in. I'm considering on cutting the inner cowling as some have mention, but I'll wait to see how turns first.
dtoddrship
Posted 2008-08-05 3:30 PM (#15249 - in reply to #13406)

Cruiser

Austin, Texas
My principle issue with the air deflectors is the mounting bracket. It appears to be powder coated black, which looks like crap on my beautiful silver Vision. If the mount were chrome, it would look great with every color of the Vision and would also look more like it was meant to be there rather than an add-on.

I ordered a pair, looked at them at the dealer, and gave them back. I'd rather treat the first degree burns than have that particular mount change the look of the bike.
Wizard523
Posted 2008-08-05 7:02 PM (#15262 - in reply to #13406)

Tourer

Woodland Hills, CA
After almost 20 years on a Harley, the heat is not really a problem for me. As I said in another thread, the heat seems relatively the same as on my Road King, which I would expect from an air cooled V twin. Actually, I am surprised the heat is not more given all the body work.

Personally, I really love the Vision, and enjoy it more with each ride. I still have my Road King, and while they are completely different bikes, I really prefer the Vision. Yes, it has its bugs, and heat may be one of them, but for me, I am just glad to get on every morining and not see oil in the floor of my garage. I can tell you from experience that the "bugs" I am finding in the Vision pale in comparison with the Harleys I have owned. Don't get me wrong, I still love Harley, but the Vision has so many advantages, in my opinion, that overall I think it is a superior bike.

As far as the lower wind deflectors, I think they really detract from the lines of the bodywork, but that's just me. Personally, I can handle the heat (and will probably cherish it in the winter), and would much prefer a bit of heat to muckiing up the look of the bike. But again, that's just my opinion.
witchbiker
Posted 2008-08-05 7:30 PM (#15263 - in reply to #14135)

Cruiser

Barefoot Bay, FL United States
Just buy the adaptor for $20 at your dealer. It's about 4" long, and plugs into the outlet in the tour pack and the "glove box". the other end is like your ciggy lighter or reg. car plug-in.
rlreed
Posted 2008-08-05 10:11 PM (#15292 - in reply to #13406)

Cruiser

Tavares, Fl
I've gone from Gold Wings to a Yamaha Venture to the Vision. I only have 700 miles on it so the jury is still out on whether I made a mistake selling the Venture. I do wish the Vision was a water cooled engine but I have to admit I haven't found the heat to be unbearable and I ride in shorts and gym shoes, always have and always will. I can't get into the black leather even though I do have the leather jacket, boots and chaps for the winter... I go to Florida in the winter so I ride year round. When I get in stop and go traffic I slide my feet so that the balls of me feet and toes are on the rear of the floor board and I have no problem with the heat.
edradio
Posted 2008-08-05 10:22 PM (#15293 - in reply to #13406)

Cruiser

Las Vegas, Nevada USA baby!
Like I keep saying, I must be nerve dead, or my leg length is just right, or or or.. heck, I don't know.

BUT, I ride my Vision Tour Premium sans trunk in 100-110 plus degree desert heat here in Las Vegas and vicinity, and I do not have a leg heat problem.

Now last year when I rode my water cooled 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600, I used to get inner thigh roasted flesh regularly.

So like I said, either the Vulcan Nomad ruined my nerves, or I just happen to fit the Vision just right so that my legs aren't affected. Who knows?

EdRadio
pollolittle
Posted 2008-08-06 10:38 AM (#15320 - in reply to #13406)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
It's just you edradio, the perfect man we all wish we could be. Then again you could be teach or golfer. HEEHEHEHHE HOOHOHHOOHO!!!

or just SandintheCrevicesJim, who as we all know should model more t-shirts.
varyder
Posted 2008-08-06 11:00 AM (#15323 - in reply to #15320)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

pollolittle - 2008-08-06 10:38 AM It's just you edradio, the perfect man we all wish we could be. Then again you could be teach or golfer. HEEHEHEHHE HOOHOHHOOHO!!! or just SandintheCrevicesJim, who as we all know should model more t-shirts.

Seems like old times. Greetings ER, and of course PL. Where have you been, Ed? Any stories to tell? Or have you just been riding and radioing to have time to "blog"?

Edited by varyder 2008-08-06 11:01 AM
pollolittle
Posted 2008-08-06 11:16 AM (#15328 - in reply to #13406)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
my sincere and delusional apologies, I have taken a small sabatical (not quite sure what that means, need to go look it up). I really enjoy the old times. Will promptly get back to the olden days, then again for some of these guys on here it shouldn't be too hard. For you really slow (old) guys this was a reference to your AGE!
edradio
Posted 2008-08-06 6:21 PM (#15372 - in reply to #13406)

Cruiser

Las Vegas, Nevada USA baby!
Pollolittle, it is just me, (not the perfect man), just the right dimensions for missing the heat dissipation!

Varyder, I've been busy in radio, instructing broadcasting classes, gearing up for a new set of audio books I will be doing Voice over for as well as directing other talent.

HOWEVER; I have been riding, in the day heat, night heat, weekend heat, and during our humid "monsoon" days, and thankfully I am not affected by the heat off of the Vision engine, although last year I was on my Nomad engine. I really do think my body and leg dimensions just "luck me out"!

EdRadio
Hippo
Posted 2008-08-07 1:58 AM (#15415 - in reply to #13406)

Cruiser

Warren, Vermont
I just don't understand all the freaking whining about the heat from the engine on the Vision! Eh, we've got some big jugs with lots of explosions going on in them - there is gonna be some heat - find me another V-twin 106 that is cooler.

I've put 10k on my Vision and am currently in Sturgis having rode from Vermont. I've been in some hot weather and with the combination of the big floor boards, the upper wind deflectors (adjust them to blow air on your legs), and the highway pegs -- you merely have to move your legs a bit and the heat is not even very apparent.

Those lower wind deflectors is so butt-ugly it is hideous and ruins the beautiful lines of the Vision.. Notice the 10th Anniversary model does not have 'em.

What a wonderful bike - this is the best touring bike I have owned and if the number of Visions and Victories at Sturgis is any indication, Victory is on a wicked good roll!

Hippo
Dallas_Gal
Posted 2008-08-07 9:37 PM (#15536 - in reply to #13406)

Puddle Jumper

Plano, TX
I have issues with the heat also. I'm going to get some type of lower leg chaps for the summer. I usually wear full chaps in the winter. The lower deflectors sound good, but I think they look weird. I would like to see them in person some time. Other than Spock, there aren't too many Visions in the area yet....

I guess this is one of those "suffering for beauty" things...

Keep it safe.

KC
cjnoho
Posted 2008-08-07 11:55 PM (#15551 - in reply to #13406)

Visionary

So Cal
The cat.s are located in the right side head pipe. Cat.s generate heat to curb emissions. I was just wondering if those of you that have excessive heat, dont have a fuel map calibration problem? Has anyone talked to their dealer about it?
tralphaz
Posted 2008-08-08 1:43 AM (#15558 - in reply to #15551)

Tourer

cjnoho - 2008-08-07 8:55 PM

The cat.s are located in the right side head pipe. Cat.s generate heat to curb emissions. I was just wondering if those of you that have excessive heat, dont have a fuel map calibration problem? Has anyone talked to their dealer about it?

Actually, the cats are located in the pipe just in front of the slip-ons, behind the crossover, both sides, just below the passenger footrests. Unlikely that we're feeling the heat from the cats or things would be much hotter.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™