You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Considering a Vision....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

raynman
Posted 2008-07-09 10:21 AM (#13187)
Subject: Considering a Vision....

Puddle Jumper

Kewaskum, WI
I am on my 4th Victory (and am currently riding a Kingpin). Obviously, I don't need to be sold on the Victory brand as I am very familiar with the durability of the bikes (as well as the Corporation's tendency to leave the customer dangling in the wind). While my KP is a fantastic 1-up bike, it really doesn't function very well for (long distance) 2-up riding. I really don't want to regress to a TC, so am giving the Vision strong consideration (and in fact already have a tentative deal worked out with my dealer). I am taking the dealer demo this weekend for a trial, and expect to have a decision come Monday.

I have already ridden the Vision several times and have been quite impressed, but I do have some reservations. Maybe you guys can help me out with my concerns...

1) The heat generating from the motor seems excessive. I know there are now lowers for the Vision that reportedly help, but I have also heard of several instances where the tape is not holding. Has this been resolved?

2) Electronics/audio issues - I have ridden 4 different demo's. On two of them the radio sounded decent, on the other two reception was pure crap. I also understand that there are several reported issues with the audio hand controls malfunctioning. These kind of problems should not be happening on a $22K bike, and this concerns me. Has there been any solution offered from Victory corporate (or even any acknowledgment of a problem) or are they playing ignorant?

3) Passenger comfort - The wife came with on my demo rides, and complained of her legs rubbing up against the bags (she is only 5' 4"). I am having the dealer install the passenger risers, and am hoping this resolves the issue. If not, I am sure the boss will squash the deal.

Does anyone here regret their decision to buy the Vision, and if so, for what reason?

Thanks for your input - Ray
Top of the page Bottom of the page
varyder
Posted 2008-07-09 11:44 AM (#13195 - in reply to #13187)
Subject: RE: Considering a Vision....

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

No regrets here whatsoever! My first new tourer and I know I wouldn't have to ride anything else to know I'm on the best ride out there today! I suggest the risers, though I don't have them or the lowers, I suggest them as well from all that I have read. As far as the audio, one word: Warranty. '09's should be announced the end of this month and available in September, you might see what they've done with them if you can wait that long. I'm glad to have gotten mine when I did and I'm proud to be a part of the New American Tourers first run.

Come on in, the waters great raynman!

Rebel
Posted 2008-07-09 12:40 PM (#13202 - in reply to #13187)
Subject: Re: Considering a Vision....

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
Raynman, I went from a KP to a Vision, too, and I can say that while I do miss my KP because it's such a great ride, I don't regret going to the Vision at all. And neither does my wife; she loves it.

My wife is also in the vertically challenged category (5'2" and the risers helped with the rubbing aspect, but now she wants floorboards that are a little longer to the rear so her feet sit on them better.

I have never really experienced excessive heat on my lower legs, like some of the riders here. But I have had a few issues with excessive heat in the upper and rear thigh area. I got some relief by going to a Stage 1 Level 2 kit, which I recommend. The adhesive issue with the lower louvres has apparently been resolved, but you need to make sure that you get the kit with the 3M VHB (or something like that). A search of recent threads on this issue will yield some answers. I did ride a Vision that had the lowers on them about a month ago and it did provide a lot more air flow across the legs, but I don't really care for the way they look so I'm not planning to get them.
Teach
Posted 2008-07-09 7:36 PM (#13250 - in reply to #13187)

Visionary

One issue at a time, coming from someone with the Vision and the issues.
1. Excessive heat- Its a big Vtwin so the motor will generate heat (you know this). However, I have not found it bad enough that it is an issue. Now having said this I tend to ride with my legs towards the front of the board and in fact the ball of my feet on the front rollover guards. No issue with heat in this position, but even on 95 degree days with my feet tucked in I experienced FAR less heat than I did on my Road Glide (07 96ci) which did take the skin off the inside of my legs TWICE (yes I was wearing jeans). Heat os a non-issue in my book.
2. Electronic Issues- testing will be complete on the new bar mounted radio control this week so in my book this issue is resolved. The reception issue is still in the works with an external antenna that will be available to replace the hidden antenna. So basically Victory has acknowledge the issue and has taken steps to resolve/fix it. Almost ready.
3. Passenger comfort- Peg risers are available, BUT something that folks may not be aware of is the peg extenders are stackable. So if one isn't enough to raise the board for your passenger a second set can be fitted over the first for more lift. My wifes only complaints are the tour pack backrest leans back a bit. Its ok but she would prefer more upright. I'm going to have a pad made to correct this. The other complaint she has is the pegs sit too far to the rear for her liking. I'm still at a loss to correct this but I'm sure I'll figure something out. All this said my wife is EXTREMELY picky about ride position and NONE of the aforementioned issues were big enough to be a deal breaker for her.
4. Coming off not one but 2 Harley Road Glides over the course of the past 9 years and of which I really really liked..... I am NOT the least bit disappointed in my decision to buy the Vision. Yep its WAY different in looks, handling, and everything else compared to the Harley, and don't get me wrong I am NOT bashing HD (they make a great bike), I'm just very happy with the Vision. I'm sure there will be little things that are just gonna make you scratch your head wondering what victory was thinking, but having your fun meter pegged the rest of the time more than makes up for any minor stuff. JMO............ T
TexasVision
Posted 2008-07-16 4:43 PM (#13668 - in reply to #13187)

Cruiser

Leander,Texas
<p><strong><font color="#3300ff">Raynman, </font></strong></p><p><strong><font color="#3300ff">1.yes the twin Vs generate heat but i wear jeans so there is no heat issue when i ride actually I dont notice it.</font></strong><strong><font color="#3300ff">2.My wife is 5 ft and the saddle bags give her no problem 3 The Issue with button on radio controls ive heard about but never had the problem at all with my radio or any controllers on the bike. 4. Radio reception is ok but if you intend to listen alot while you travel XM is the only way to go cause YES you do have bad reception if its not a local sattion. Over all i have mine for a month and had no problems or issue with it that the dealer couldnt fix and my bike is almost at 2000 miles i do know this any small issue you bike may have as you increase in miles they dissapear. If you still have reservations on the vision wait tioll 2009 when the new visions come out i heard alot of the issue will be resolved vision is aware of the the small issue and will be sending info out to the dealers on how to fix these common issues and it should be covered under your warranty. OVER ALL i would purchased a vision but i already own a 2008 victory vision street premium and the wife would kill me if i puirchased another bike....hahahahahahh good luck </font></strong></p>

Edited by TexasVision 2008-07-16 4:45 PM
raynman
Posted 2008-07-18 2:57 PM (#13800 - in reply to #13187)

Puddle Jumper

Kewaskum, WI
I just signed the papers today and will be picking up a black Tour Premium on Tuesday.

Thanks for the replies....

Ray
Jim
Posted 2008-07-18 3:33 PM (#13801 - in reply to #13800)

Cruiser

Saskatchewan (hard to say, easy to draw )
Just a point - if the radio has the reception issue - mine and one other did not have the antennae plug fully connected when we got it- the connection is under the front cover with the fuse box. Once connected properly it was great!
As to heat - just finished 3800 km (Canada) mountain trip - with the lowers angled, it really did help the heat issue.

Enjoy .... we are!
radioteacher
Posted 2008-07-18 5:10 PM (#13806 - in reply to #13187)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Congratulations, I know you will love it! The biggest drawback with the Vision is the time takes from my day just being polite.

Yesterday, I stopped by the Post Office on the way to work. I was stopped by two men who wanted to know more about the bike before I could leave the parking lot. At the office an executive asked my about the Vision. On the way home I stopped for some 93 Octane and three different people approached me and asked about the bike. After changing into shorts and baggy blue jeans, I went to work out at the gym. This added one conversation on the way in and another one on the way out.

All and all the Vision slowed me down about 45 to 50 minutes yesterday. If I had a more popular American V-Twin that is produced in very high numbers, I could have that time back.
bsquared62
Posted 2008-07-20 8:14 AM (#13883 - in reply to #13187)

Cruiser

Woodstock, GA
Radioteacher - that's too funny...

As far as the heat, it is bad, but not as bad as the new HD 96's.
As far as the reception, I have 5-6 friends that went to the invisible antenna inside their fairings (HD batwing fairing models), and they all say the reception is crap. It's a characteristic of a small hidden antenna. I simply don't use the radio unless I am in a metro area.
cw1115
Posted 2008-07-20 9:08 AM (#13886 - in reply to #13187)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
So far I love the attention the bike gets. I too spend alot of time answering questions and talking about the bike. I get a big kick out of standing back and watch people go over and check my Vision out.
rainmaker
Posted 2008-07-20 12:14 PM (#13895 - in reply to #13187)

Cruiser

Eden Prairie, MN
You made the right decision and I'm convinced you will agree with all of us that it is the best bike you've ever owned.
It seems we all have a little complaining to do about minor irratations. Minor, in the sense that there are no perfect bikes (are there?).
I never had a radio or any sound before so this is all new to me. In town I don't have any problem with reception but it is weaker than my auto. I got the XM radio and love clear sound, the huge variety and commercial free music. And the ipod nano is a cheap accessory that gives clear sound but any Mp3 player will work too. The fact is, the Infotainment system has awesome integration.
I've never had a V-twin that didn't cook something at temperatures above 85 degrees. The HD was the worst (not picking on HD, cause I loved my Low rider), I'm just saying...
Most of us are all early adapters, we want to have the newest and we have to accept some minor issues. Others are getting away from other bikes because they obviously weren't doing it for us anymore. And for many of us, it is the first Luxury touring bike so we have some adjustments to make.
You made the right decision, concentrate first on the power and handling then let's work together to find solutions to the minor issues.

Edited by rainmaker 2008-07-20 12:15 PM
pastor
Posted 2008-07-20 4:40 PM (#13908 - in reply to #13187)

Puddle Jumper

Tonopah,NV
I have to agree with rainmaker. I love my steel gray Tour Premium. I have had a love affair with motorcycles for over 50 years, and the Vision is the best yet by far. We only have one FM station available where I live, and it will only last for one mile out of town in either direction. I have only ever listened to the radio when I was bored, and I've yet to be bored on the Vision. I used to have trouble getting my wife to want to ride with me, now she is planing trips for us.
rainmaker
Posted 2008-07-20 7:40 PM (#13924 - in reply to #13908)

Cruiser

Eden Prairie, MN
pastor - 2008-07-20 3:40 PM

I have to agree with rainmaker. I love my steel gray Tour Premium. I have had a love affair with motorcycles for over 50 years, and the Vision is the best yet by far. We only have one FM station available where I live, and it will only last for one mile out of town in either direction. I have only ever listened to the radio when I was bored, and I've yet to be bored on the Vision. I used to have trouble getting my wife to want to ride with me, now she is planing trips for us.

Pastor,
Can we get an "Amen"? Let's hear it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™