You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

How could Victory be so dumb?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

MangoMike
Posted 2008-05-06 10:00 PM (#9805)
Subject: How could Victory be so dumb?

Puddle Jumper

Tampa, FL
For all the wonderful features and intelligent design in the Vision, someone went to sleep when they got to the tires and wheels. I have a home air compressor and it is impossible to put air into the rear tire. I managed to get air into the front, but even that was harder then it should have been. But the rear was just impossible. I probably spent 30 minutes moving the bike to realign the valve stem, but regardless of where I put it I just did not have room for my compressor.

I plan to have the dealer put 90 degree valve stems in, but until then does anyone have a hint as to how I can get some air into my rear tire, which is now down to 32lbs with my trying to get things to seat properly.

While we're on tires, the book says 38 front, 40 rear (for my weight). I was going to run 40 and 40, but wondered what everyone else did.

Thanks

Mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page
focushere
Posted 2008-05-06 10:39 PM (#9809 - in reply to #9805)
Subject: RE: How could Victory be so dumb?

Cruiser

go to my gallery....i bought this gauge/inflater at wal-mart for about 5 dollars. you will need a compressor
SongFan
Posted 2008-05-06 10:54 PM (#9815 - in reply to #9805)

Visionary

Memphis

In order to get the lowest seat height in class they had to use a 16" rear wheel with low profile radial tires. Other touring bikes have the same size but where the Vision gets hosed is with the right side belt drive and left side disc. Both sides of the wheel get taken up. Other bikes have everything on one side or the other.

I don't know what kind of compressor you have but if it's a shop-type with an air hose that can swap out tools and fittings I had to go with the little cheap-o ball shaped inflater. I totally feel your pain. A lot of the portable compressors that I would carry onboard the bike physically won't match up to that rear wheel set-up. Having to wait 10,000 miles for a tire change so I can put a 90 degree valve-stem on sucks. If the '09 models come out with the straight valve stems again I would really wonder how they could overlook such a cheap fix for a major issue. These tires, more than any others I have used, really need to stay pumped up. 16" plus low profile equals less air to start with and losing any at all makes a difference.

40/40.

Edited by SongFan 2008-05-06 10:56 PM
pollolittle
Posted 2008-05-06 10:59 PM (#9819 - in reply to #9805)
Subject: Re: How could Victory be so dumb?

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Songfan, Just run over some kind of panels with nails in and FRS will take care of you. Both of them.
okthenbye
Posted 2008-05-06 11:02 PM (#9820 - in reply to #9805)

Cruiser

Stockton, Ca.
I just use a regular 90 degree tip on the end of my compressor hose. One of the cheap ones from the local hardware store.
You may want to invest in a lift or jack. It is helpful when cleaning, checking oil, putting air in the tires etc. It gets the bike in a stable upright position and everything gets much easier.
DesertJim
Posted 2008-05-06 11:08 PM (#9823 - in reply to #9805)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
I'm with you guys on this issue - never been so frustrated, at one check I probably had about the 40 lbs, but I know I lost 2 or3 lbs each time I tried to recheck the pressure, down to 32, up to 44 down to 36, what a absolute pain. Bucky, and poot its all your fault, cussing and throwing the dog across the garage floor helps. Threw the paper back at the paper boy and let the air out of my Mrs. tires for spite. Man thats frustrating! Come on Victory use your senior engineers for this stuff.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-05-06 11:13 PM (#9824 - in reply to #9805)

Visionary

So Cal
focushere has got the setup. Thats's what I use, no problem.

Or, you could try pollo's method, just have the tires replaced when they get low.
pollolittle
Posted 2008-05-06 11:17 PM (#9825 - in reply to #9823)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
10 points for the paper boy, 1 point each for each tire down 5lbs. cussing and throwing the dog is more subjective like figure skating, on a scale of 1 to 10, I give a 7, no video.

I use a double ended air chuck, like what the big rigs might use. Push the valve over a little bit and wa-la! No time flat, but I like laying on the concrete, so no big deal.
SongFan
Posted 2008-05-06 11:18 PM (#9826 - in reply to #9805)

Visionary

Memphis
That's a great set-up.  (Mine doesn't have the built in gauge.) Should be standard with every Vision.  I'm going to get one tomorrow.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-05-07 2:10 AM (#9840 - in reply to #9805)

Visionary

So Cal
Try this link! http://www.doranmfg.com/
MangoMike
Posted 2008-05-07 7:07 AM (#9842 - in reply to #9805)

Puddle Jumper

Tampa, FL
The tire pressure monitor is a nice idea, but it costs $250 and I still won't be able to put air in my tires. After thinking about it for a minute, I realized that I have my own solution, which one of the responders also mentioned. My tire gauge Accu-Gauge (highly recommended) which has a hose attached for getting into tight places and the tire can be filled through the hose. I never needed to use the hose on my Wing, but it dawned on me after sending my rant, that I already had the solution.

Thanks for all your help.

Mike
Whitehaven
Posted 2008-05-07 9:05 AM (#9849 - in reply to #9805)

Puddle Jumper

I and a friend of mine both use this product, "EZ-AIR". Works well.

http://www.getagauge.com/

Snap on the tip to the tire fill stem, and adjust the air pressure at the gauge itself. Easy-peasy.

pollolittle
Posted 2008-05-07 9:57 AM (#9851 - in reply to #9805)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
And if you look through they also have a motorcycle guage with a 90 degree tip. You guys will love it. Now if they can make one where you can just stand next to the bike in an upright position and not bend down to check it, you guys will love it.
devilboy
Posted 2008-05-07 10:10 AM (#9854 - in reply to #9805)

Cruiser

Central Florida
running 40/40 in my tires. replaced mine at 9500 before 1st trip to Helen. had about 1500 miles left on tires.
Replaced valve stems with 90 degree angled stems... MUCH easier to check.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-05-07 9:39 PM (#9906 - in reply to #9851)

Visionary

So Cal
pollolittle - 2008-05-07 6:57 AM

And if you look through they also have a motorcycle guage with a 90 degree tip. You guys will love it. Now if they can make one where you can just stand next to the bike in an upright position and not bend down to check it, you guys will love it.

The best part about laying on the ground to check rear tire pressure is being able to look up the Visions skirt. Just as beautiful on the inside
devilboy
Posted 2008-07-09 4:54 PM (#13226 - in reply to #9805)

Cruiser

Central Florida
An update for those thinking of the 90 degree angled valve stems
DONT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
both of mine broke in the valve stem, probably due to poor installation. afterwards I ws told if you push too hard on valve it will split.
first one(front) caused a tow 20 miles to home dealer who fixed it on a saturday afternoon.
second one happened sunday afternoon 100 miles from home.
I had my trusty portable compressor with me as well as duct tape to angle the valve stem to a point where it was not leaking. Every 20 miles or so, I stopped to add more air and let tire cool.
installing dealer was able to break the bead,pull out old stem and insert new stem and reseal the bead. The tire was fine and he did NOT charge me for it...
I will be very wary of any non factory valve stems in the future.!
etspastimes
Posted 2008-07-09 6:33 PM (#13231 - in reply to #9805)

Tourer

Salisbury, NC
It is much easier to purchase a 90 degree air gauge and air chuck than to worry about the 90* valve stem breaking.

And devilboy, I just turned 17,700 on the way home from work. ET
Teach
Posted 2008-07-09 6:41 PM (#13233 - in reply to #9805)

Visionary

First off 90 degree valve stems are a VERY bad choice. The force generated as the tire spins tends to crack them and or break the seal. If you have never had a high speed flat on a bike, you don't want to (trust me).
Now for checking pressure. Go to your local Harley dealership where they sell a shorty 90 degree air pressure guage, it works perfect for testing pressures. As to filling and checking the rear? Well if you don't have a tire roller just back the bike up until the valve stem is sitting towards the bottom and slightly towards the rear (stem located to the rear of the section of tire in contact with the ground). In this location you can angle in almost any type of tire inflation unit, lol. I actually used my sons bicycle pump two days ago because it was hady and my compressor wasn't. The fron tire is the same ONLY the valve stem is positioned to the front. Hope this helps.
Oh and I run 40ft 40rr
Banjo
Posted 2008-07-09 9:30 PM (#13258 - in reply to #9805)

Tourer

I dont know what happend. I never have had a problem putting air the rear tire.
luzzy
Posted 2008-07-09 9:37 PM (#13260 - in reply to #13258)

Cruiser

Coastal , NJ
Stop being so cheap and buy new Ness wheels and rotors. It will make checking your air pressure a lot easier.
metalguy
Posted 2008-07-09 9:38 PM (#13261 - in reply to #9805)

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
Here, this is the solution I use....I tip my bike over on the right side, on the tipovers, and it exsposes the valve stem easily. I then can check my tire pressure, see what I am doing, and do some wipedown all while I am there! I have used a cheap-o portable 12V air copressor, and a ball-end cheapie on my home compressor, both fit fine. It is less of an issue, having clearance, and more that you just cannot see what you are doing with the bike upright. ------Metalguy
devilboy
Posted 2008-07-09 9:58 PM (#13266 - in reply to #13231)

Cruiser

Central Florida
etspastimes - 2008-07-09 6:33 PM

It is much easier to purchase a 90 degree air gauge and air chuck than to worry about the 90* valve stem breaking.

And devilboy, I just turned 17,700 on the way home from work. ET

Ed I am glad to hear! you are at least 1000 past me.. I have been buried with work and have not done that much riding lately...it is TOOOOOOO f$%^ing hot here!
varyder
Posted 2008-07-09 10:10 PM (#13268 - in reply to #13266)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

devilboy - 2008-07-09 9:58 PM etspastimes - 2008-07-09 6:33 PM It is much easier to purchase a 90 degree air gauge and air chuck than to worry about the 90* valve stem breaking. And devilboy, I just turned 17,700 on the way home from work. ET Ed I am glad to hear! you are at least 1000 past me.. I have been buried with work and have not done that much riding lately...it is TOOOOOOO f$%^ing hot here!

Having mine sit at the dealer for 3 weeks made me lose about 1k. I've got 16,200+ argh! I've got some catching up to do no doubt.

Travler
Posted 2008-07-10 8:43 PM (#13330 - in reply to #9805)

Puddle Jumper

SE Florida
Get one of these from Harborfreight it makes checking pressure and filling the tires easy.

ITEM 92360-4VGA
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™