You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Aftermarket speakers other than J&M
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

focushere
Posted 2008-03-17 1:52 PM (#7016)
Subject: Aftermarket speakers other than J&M

Cruiser

Is anyone using aftermarket speakers other than J & M? If so what brand and do they sounds better? The stock speakers sound tinny to me and I'm looking to upgrade.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
pollolittle
Posted 2008-03-17 2:05 PM (#7018 - in reply to #7016)
Subject: Re: Aftermarket speakers other than J&M

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Wish I could find some weatherproof boston acoustics?
Fergy
Posted 2008-03-18 1:23 AM (#7055 - in reply to #7016)
Subject: RE: Aftermarket speakers other than J&M

Cruiser

Frisco, TX

focushere - 2008-03-17 12:52 PM Is anyone using aftermarket speakers other than J & M? If so what brand and do they sounds better? The stock speakers sound tinny to me and I'm looking to upgrade.

Me too! I have 42,955 songs I want to listen to on my next trip and I want my sound system to rock!

VisionTex
Posted 2008-03-18 9:08 AM (#7063 - in reply to #7055)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
The Ness catalog has a speaker option with amp. + $700, that maybe an option for you. Believe they are made by Hawg Wired, you could also contact them.

I have had contacted Hogtunes and they looked at the Vision speakers and indicated they wouldn't be doing anything right now, but maybe later.
Fergy
Posted 2008-03-18 9:23 AM (#7064 - in reply to #7063)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX
Has anybody installed the J&M speakers? Are they a significant improvement over stock? At $90 a pair, they're sure cheap enough and I'll get them if they're better. I'm not looking for automobile quality sound, like Spock. I just want a lack of distortion at highway speeds when the sound is cranked up. It could also be what I'm hearing is not distortion but simply radio wave interference. I don't have the XM radio or iPod hooked up yet so maybe these would sound much better through the stock speakers.
PalmBeachRider
Posted 2008-03-18 9:44 AM (#7065 - in reply to #7016)

Cruiser

Florida
From personal experience comparing FM/XM/iPod audio through the stock Vision speakers, I have to say that I don't see any reason to rush out for an upgrade at this point. Yes, the amp could deliver a bit more power, but it's ample and I have no problem hearing the audio through the speakers at highway speeds while wearing a helmet. Allow me to note, my hearing is not the best.

You will notice a great improvement in the sound with the iPod. XM sounds pretty good...better than FM but not as good as the iPod. Make sure the iPod's internal volume control is set to at least 75% if not higher. I'm finding that with the iPod Nano, I can set the Vision's volume control to 10 - 12 and it sounds fine. At 14, it's more than ample.

If you remove the trunk, make sure you change the fader to go 100% to the front speakers. The fader will act as a limiter when the rear speakers are disconnected and will affect the volume level.

However, there is one downside I've experienced when the Garmin GPS is attached and delivering directions: When a verbal guidance command is delivered, it is preceded by an "attention tone" that is loud when the music volume is cranked up. When I say loud, I mean LOUD! I've not found a way to control this volume on the Garmin...it's either on or off. Since the Garmin was pre-wired for the Vision, I'm wondering if this tone causes speaker issues, if it will be covered by the warranty.

Another note, I keep the AVC at the medium setting. This appears to work fine for most riding situations.

P.S. Florida is a helmet optional state and I'm noticing I'm one of the few riders in the area who wears a helmet on a daily basis. I have the Cardo Q2 Bluetooth system in my helmet and have it connected directly to my phone. I only use it to receive calls, not initiate calls as the phone I'm currently using does not have the Voice Dialing feature. The add-on Voice Dialing feature from my phone carrier requires a press of a button on the phone to enter the voice mode...this kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

I've had the Cardo system long enough that I'll soon be posting a full review. Is anyone else using this system? I'm curious as to other's take on this device. Feel free to post comments here or PM me with your comments and I'll include it in the review.

Edited by PalmBeachRider 2008-03-18 9:49 AM
Big Vic
Posted 2008-03-19 7:29 PM (#7075 - in reply to #7016)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
PBR - I had the same problem with my GPS, like you said it's either on or off. I found that turning the "attention tone" off did not effect my ability to follow the directions. The voice is considerably different than the music so it catches my attention right away. Give it a try if you have not done so already.
ruttrow
Posted 2008-07-04 7:40 AM (#12854 - in reply to #7016)

Cruiser

Illinois
As a long time Hog Tunes customer I asked about speakers for the Vision. Its a shame because the service from PEZ is first rate. His late reply was 1 day.

Hi Mike

I had a non bike related injury and am just back to work so please excuse
the late reply. The Vision speaker is pretty good and our current product
does not make much diff on your bike. the stock speaker was very creatively done!

Hawg Wired is offering stuff via the Arlen Ness Site but its BIG$$

Wish I could help....RIDE SAFE--Hopefully Ill be riding in 6 weeks ort so

PEZ
bsquared62
Posted 2008-07-04 9:14 AM (#12859 - in reply to #7016)

Cruiser

Woodstock, GA
Let's face it - the single biggest determinant of sound quality is the head unit. I have seen this proved over the years on many a car. I replaced my stock Toyota unit with a nice Alpine unit and left the stock speakers, and it rocked! I have several friends that replaced their stock Harley unit with a Sony, and it was a 100% improvement. Given replacing the head unit is not an option for the Vision, unfortunately, the only way to have a clean, loud bass output is to add a subwoofer, or have speakers with larger cones.

What kind of expandability does the stock unit provide?
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-07-04 7:38 PM (#12889 - in reply to #7016)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
I was shocked motorcycle speaker dont mention their Specs.... I guess in their case when your the only game in town it doesnt matter what your specs are. lol
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™