Stage one level 2 has arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!
ez chair
Posted 2008-04-02 9:43 PM (#7758)
Subject: Stage one level 2 has arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cruiser

Maine
Look Great! Will install this weekend.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
radioteacher
Posted 2008-04-03 12:29 AM (#7772 - in reply to #7758)
Subject: Re: Stage one level 2 has arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Please take some pictures and post them in the Gallery. Hook up with a stock Vision and a S1L1 if you can and record some audio of the three together. Then we all can listen to the difference.

Edited by radioteacher 2008-04-03 12:31 AM
ez chair
Posted 2008-04-10 9:30 PM (#8205 - in reply to #7758)

Cruiser

Maine
pipes are on. Sound is great! Performance is strong. I think they are only slightly louder than level1. love the looks, victory performance ingraved on pipes.
TimS
Posted 2008-04-10 11:46 PM (#8209 - in reply to #8205)

Iron Butt

Post some picts in the gallery and some video clips on YOUTUBE.com !!!

California still does not have any of its pipes. =(.

Tim 

cjnoho
Posted 2008-04-12 1:31 AM (#8278 - in reply to #7758)

Visionary

So Cal
Dealer tells me that Victory is still jumping through hoope with CARB to get them certified for CA.
I'll wait. If im not happy with the remap I'll go with the VFC III. At least I'll be able to disconnect it when I take it in for service without any major driveability issues. Never know how Victory will respond to warranty issues with aftermarket add ons.
TimS
Posted 2008-04-12 1:43 AM (#8279 - in reply to #8278)

Iron Butt

FWIW, the injector connectors are a PITA to get disconnected without damaging them. The O2 sensors were a snap. It may not be as easy to switch back and forth between the fuel controller and stock as you might first think.

Tim

Edited by TimS 2008-04-12 1:44 AM
cjnoho
Posted 2008-04-20 1:49 AM (#8778 - in reply to #8205)

Visionary

So Cal
Not that I would ever suggest such a modification. But lets just say you looked into the stock muffler with a flash light and noticed a an obstruction to exhaust flow about 18'' up from the end of the outlet. You just happen to have a 24" drill bit extension with a 1/2" drill bit attatched and it found its way through that obstruction. Im betting it would improve the sound of the stock pipes. Im betting it would slightly improve performance since obstructions tend to hinder exhaust flow. I also wonder how big that hole could be before the stock ECU would be unable to compensate. Not that I would ever suggest such a thing.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-04-20 2:19 PM (#8800 - in reply to #8778)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
cjnoho - 2008-04-20 12:49 AM

Not that I would ever suggest such a modification. But lets just say you looked into the stock muffler with a flash light and noticed a an obstruction to exhaust flow about 18'' up from the end of the outlet. You just happen to have a 24" drill bit extension with a 1/2" drill bit attatched and it found its way through that obstruction. Im betting it would improve the sound of the stock pipes. Im betting it would slightly improve performance since obstructions tend to hinder exhaust flow. I also wonder how big that hole could be before the stock ECU would be unable to compensate. Not that I would ever suggest such a thing.

This is exactly what I did with my Kingpin. Drilled out the first internal baffle with a drill extention and 7/8" hole saw. Put in two holes and then two holes at the outlet of the slip on. On the Vision, what might be easier is if you have the "Tailgunner" tips on the stock muffler, remove the "Tailgunner" put some extra holes in the back of the muffler, then put the "Tailgunner" tip back on. This may give a better exhaust note. Just a thought. Oh, this would also probably work on Level 1 muffers.
ez chair
Posted 2008-04-21 11:39 AM (#8867 - in reply to #7758)

Cruiser

Maine
Have run stage 1 level two for 3 weeks. strong sounding. I can't help but notice that with two allen bolts the inner core sides out anyone tried it yet?
Mudge
Posted 2008-04-21 12:52 PM (#8876 - in reply to #8867)

Tourer

20 miles west of Chicago.
An observation on exhaust system mods. There is a pretty complex relationship between air intake, exhaust flow and fuel mixture. Changes in air intake volume, velocity and flow and changes in exhaust (gas) volume, velocity and scavanging ability both normally dictate tuning of the air/fuel mixture to retain an optimum ratio. Changing any one factor will to a greater or lesser degree, require a re-tuning of the others. The closed loop system is not capable of large scale adjustments. I'm just saying.
Regarding the disconnecting of an add-on fuel controller, with the installation of stage one kits, it is best to be running with the stock ECU fuel map rather than stage 1 map. Since it adds fuel it's better to have a lean map in the ECU and let the controller add fuel to do the tuning. If this is the case, disconnecting the aftermarket controller while running Stage 1 hardware would mean reverting to the stock map which might lean out the mixture to a too lean condition, which the closed loop system may not be able to compensate for. It is my understanding that a too rich condition can foul plugs and cause poor running, but a too lean condtion can actually cause physical damage to engine components. My point is this. I would do a lot of research and carefully consider any changes. Guys like the Victory engineers and Lloyd Greer spend a whole lot of time and effort studying and researching air intakes, exhausts and air/fuel ratios and that's why they get the big bucks. I'd go carefully in considering an end-run around the pros. I'm just sayin'.

Edited by Mudge 2008-04-21 12:53 PM
VisionTex
Posted 2008-04-21 3:03 PM (#8882 - in reply to #8800)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
VisionTex - 2008-04-20 1:19 PM

cjnoho - 2008-04-20 12:49 AM

This is exactly what I did with my Kingpin. Drilled out the first internal baffle with a drill extention and 7/8" hole saw. Put in two holes and then two holes at the outlet of the slip on. On the Vision, what might be easier is if you have the "Tailgunner" tips on the stock muffler, remove the "Tailgunner" put some extra holes in the back of the muffler, then put the "Tailgunner" tip back on. This may give a better exhaust note. Just a thought. Oh, this would also probably work on Level 1 muffers.

I forgot to mention and if you didn't know, the manual states warranty issues if you modify the exhaust system.
varyder
Posted 2008-04-21 3:32 PM (#8883 - in reply to #8882)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

VisionTex - 2008-04-21 3:03 PM  I forgot to mention and if you didn't know, the manual states warranty issues if you modify the exhaust system.

My dealer has mentioned that these modifications are the source of a a lot of problems that they can't touch.

SongFan
Posted 2008-04-21 3:36 PM (#8885 - in reply to #7758)
Subject: RE: Stage one level 2 has arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visionary

Memphis
I did a lot of reading on the other Victory websites before I bought the Vision.  One common thread that I noticed is that nearly every person who tried to modify their Victory outside of the factory approved mods or Lloyd's ended up with way more problems and a worse running bike.  I'm with Mudge.  I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-04-21 11:19 PM (#8915 - in reply to #7758)

Visionary

So Cal
Installing Lloyds VFC III requires disconnecting the oxygen sensors, Eliminating the closed loop system does not sound like the best way to optimize performance. Fed guidelines require that fuel management system be able to adjust, within reason, for less than optimum maintainence. In other words, able to compensate for dirty filters or slightly worn engine parts and injectors. Im also sure that the mods VisionTex did to his KP would not work on the Vision, due to the closed loop system. As stated elsewhere in this forum, the Ness pipes and air cleaner are all that is needed with their setup, no remap. If they are louder, eshaust flow has been changed, yet Ness seems to feel the stock map is able to compensate.
Victory has pushed back stage kits in CA at least 4 times. Until they get here, a 1/2'' hole dosent seem to hurt sound and seems to have help performance some. Not that I would know.
Whitehaven
Posted 2008-05-06 3:42 PM (#9781 - in reply to #7758)

Puddle Jumper

I just got my Vision and had negotiated stage one level 2 exhaust with the deal. The sound is definately nice!

I have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know of a definative way to identify these exhausts? All I can tell from mine is "Victory Performance" stamped on the side.

2. What is the background on the nomenclature? i.e. Stage one, level one, and so on?

Thanks.
TimS
Posted 2008-05-06 3:55 PM (#9783 - in reply to #9781)

Iron Butt

Level 2 has its own built-in exhaust tip and does not use the stock chrome heat shields.

Level 1 and stock uses the stock chrome heat shields and uses a bolt on tip (stock single hole, or fluted gatlin tip).

HTH,

Tim 

Whitehaven
Posted 2008-05-06 4:06 PM (#9784 - in reply to #9783)

Puddle Jumper

TimS - 2008-05-06 2:55 PM

Level 2 has its own built-in exhaust tip and does not use the stock chrome heat shields.

Level 1 and stock uses the stock chrome heat shields and uses a bolt on tip (stock single hole, or fluted gatlin tip).

HTH,

Tim 

Does the attached jpg look like level 2?
TimS
Posted 2008-05-06 4:15 PM (#9785 - in reply to #9784)

Iron Butt

That is it !!!  Notice that the chrome goes the whole length of the pipe and that there are no seams towards the tail-end of the pipe.

Stock or Level 1 has the bolt-on tips (single hole or 7 hole tips).

http://pi54.com/purepolaris/ProductImages/2876546.jpg

Level2 is a complete pipe by itself.  No strap-on heat shields and bolt on tips.

http://pi54.com/purepolaris/ProductImages/2875753.jpg

I have heard that going to Level 2's take off about 40lbs in weight.

They look nice and clean.  Too bad California hasn't seen any yet.

Tim 

TimS
Posted 2008-05-06 4:17 PM (#9786 - in reply to #9784)

Iron Butt

That is it !!!  Notice that the chrome goes the whole length of the pipe and that there are no seams towards the tail-end of the pipe.

Stock or Level 1 has the bolt-on tips (single hole or 7 hole tips).

http://pi54.com/purepolaris/ProductImages/2876546.jpg

Level2 is a complete pipe by itself.  No strap-on heat shields and bolt on tips.

http://pi54.com/purepolaris/ProductImages/2875753.jpg

I have heard that going to Level 2's take off about 40lbs of weight off of the bike.

They look nice and clean.  Too bad California hasn't seen any yet.

Tim 

cjnoho
Posted 2008-05-06 10:45 PM (#9811 - in reply to #7758)

Visionary

So Cal
I heard that Victory was jumping through hoops with CA smog laws. May be over by now.

They do look nice though!
bigwill5150
Posted 2008-06-25 8:49 PM (#12396 - in reply to #7758)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
The only prob I have with my lvl.2's are that the chrome tarnishes so easily inside the tips, which causes the mega-phone styled exhaust to show badly. I was considering the gaitlin tips but I'm not completely sold on the look. I'm not trying to win a fasion show but I don't want my bike to look sloppy either. I ended up cleaning the inside of mine with Never-Dull at the 1200mi point and they look bad again after only 1000mi. :-( I was actually considering just blacking them out with flat black exhaust enamel. Maybe later if they quit shining up like new...

Edited by bigwill5150 2008-06-25 8:55 PM
VisionTex
Posted 2008-06-25 10:02 PM (#12400 - in reply to #12396)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
The Tailgunner tips will only work on stock mufflers or Stage 1 Level 1. Enjoy your ride, don't just love the Super Steel Grey in the sunlite.
rdwrath
Posted 2008-06-25 10:20 PM (#12404 - in reply to #7758)

Puddle Jumper

has anyone put on level 2s without remap?
cjnoho
Posted 2008-06-26 2:54 AM (#12417 - in reply to #12396)

Visionary

So Cal
bigwill5150 - 2008-06-25 5:49 PM

The only prob I have with my lvl.2's are that the chrome tarnishes so easily inside the tips, which causes the mega-phone styled exhaust to show badly. I was considering the gaitlin tips but I'm not completely sold on the look. I'm not trying to win a fasion show but I don't want my bike to look sloppy either. I ended up cleaning the inside of mine with Never-Dull at the 1200mi point and they look bad again after only 1000mi. :-( I was actually considering just blacking them out with flat black exhaust enamel. Maybe later if they quit shining up like new...

I think they would look good blacked out.