Test ride a Harley!!
baadawg
Posted 2010-09-25 8:52 PM (#70359)
Subject: Test ride a Harley!!

Tourer

Chattanooga, TN
Well, I've done it now. I remember all the reasons I purchased my first Victory, a 2003 Vegas and subsequently my '08 Vision. To make a long story, well, long; I have a German work acquaintance who is in the USA for a year. He is a motorcycle enthusiast who has owned several brands, but never a Harley. He asked me if I could help him find a Harley, and I said I'd try. First, I really tried to talk him out of it. But his response was "I'm in Amerdica and I vant a Ha-lee." His price range would afford a Sportster and he quickly found one. On the day he was to close the deal, another acquaintance called me to tell me about a Dyna. We went to see it before getting the Sportster and he realized he would much rather have the bigger bike. Knowing his price range, and wanting to make a sale, the price was quickly lowered to an affordable range, and he bought it. Since he had no insurance, I offered to ride the bike to his house for him, as I was insured. I have to say, it was a bad ass bike(in the traditional, nostalgic, Harley way) with lots of extras, chrome galore, tach, twisted spoke front wheel and V&H pipes. I think even the oil plug was chrome. I had an Electraglide over half a decade ago, and I was eager to try this one out, remembering past experiences. It had a bigger motor than my old Electraglide so it also had adequate power on a smaller frame bike. But it vibrated, shook and rattled the whole way home (in the traditional, nostalgic Harley way, not in some broken down piece of crap bike way, well maybe like that.) I had forgotten just how prehistoric they feel. But to sum it up, I was sadly disappointed. But, it makes me appreciate my Victory even more for the quality feel that they put in a bike. We may gripe about the annoyances of service bulletins/updates and fogging headlamps, but damn, we sure do ride nice bikes! It's too bad the rest of the world doesn't know it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kodonnell1
Posted 2010-09-25 10:27 PM (#70366 - in reply to #70359)
Subject: RE: Test ride a Harley!!

Tourer

I don't want the rest of the world to know it because then I won't be a star anymore.
glighto11
Posted 2010-09-26 7:32 AM (#70379 - in reply to #70359)
Subject: Re: Test ride a Harley!!

Iron Butt

Central New York
Well written. Thanks for helping us remember what we have.
varyder
Posted 2010-09-26 7:50 AM (#70381 - in reply to #70359)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
thanks Baadawg for that write up. I know for myself the thought never does cross my mind "I wish I was riding a Wing or Harley". In the world of riding I'm very new at this with only 5 years this month in saddle after a 17 year hiatus, and then I only rode 3 years. I'm extremely thankful that the Vision came out at the same time I was seriously thinking on getting a "real bike" after riding an '84 GL1200. I reached "graduation day" when I rolled out on my Victory Vision Nov. 17, 2007, from there nothing else matters. (I would love to have one of those King Mountain Indian Chief tucked away for a special day ride; it's the tassles.)
jjonesmcret
Posted 2010-10-10 1:42 AM (#71340 - in reply to #70359)

Puddle Jumper

Hi Guys,
First time on here for me: I had three Ultra Classics in a row 2002,2003 and a 2007 and I did a lot of biking from Florida to New Hampshire and in 2007, 8700 miles all over the Country in 3 and a half weeks. The 07 Ultra did a great job but now I have a 09 Vision premium and love it. I live in Florida year round and take my friends Harley out for a spin now and then to keep it from just sitting, now that he spends the summers in NH, makes me remember the Harley days, glad I now have a Vision. I can't wait to get away on another long trip. I'm a disabled Vietnam Vet and like to spend time with a couple of guys I was in Country with both Harley guys nice to keep in touch. Hope you all have a safe year.

Jay Jones
radioteacher
Posted 2010-10-10 4:51 AM (#71344 - in reply to #70359)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Jay,

Thank you for your service to our country. Next month one of the local Harley dealers is have a demo event. I know that I will show up to ride a few since I still have never been on a Road Glide. It is always nice to see how the other bikes ride.

Honda never has demo rides for the Goldwing...that I have ever seen published. I have never been on one to date.

Please feel free to post any questions you might have about the Vision here.

Ride Safe!

Edited by radioteacher 2010-10-10 4:52 AM
hoosiervic
Posted 2010-10-10 6:26 PM (#71374 - in reply to #71340)

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN

jjonesmcret - 2010-10-10 2:42 AM Hi Guys, First time on here for me: I had three Ultra Classics in a row 2002,2003 and a 2007 and I did a lot of biking from Florida to New Hampshire and in 2007, 8700 miles all over the Country in 3 and a half weeks. The 07 Ultra did a great job but now I have a 09 Vision premium and love it. I live in Florida year round and take my friends Harley out for a spin now and then to keep it from just sitting, now that he spends the summers in NH, makes me remember the Harley days, glad I now have a Vision. I can't wait to get away on another long trip. I'm a disabled Vietnam Vet and like to spend time with a couple of guys I was in Country with both Harley guys nice to keep in touch. Hope you all have a safe year. Jay Jones

Welcome aboard JJ. I know that there is a certain demagraphic that are attracted to the Vision and the Vics in general. I'm glad that our War Heros are a part of that group. Look forward to reading future posts and comments from you. Ride safe and often!!

donetracey
Posted 2010-10-10 7:29 PM (#71379 - in reply to #70359)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
A gent asked me today "what IS that?" - I replied: "It's what Harley could have/should have been." I have been teased by my buddies for years - "When are you going to buy a REAL bike?" - my reply always was "I can't afford a pickup truck."
"HUH?"
"Well, if I bought a HD, I would need a pickup truck to go and pick it up when it broke down... " was my answer - knowing it to be true.
Thankfully, my HD Biker buddies were not mean types - they never beat me up for saying that. I think they knew it was true.
Starting in the mid-90's, at least once a year - in Maui or somewhere - I rented a HD for a day or two (usually because that's all they rent) and I have yet to ride one that has changed my mind even a little.
Anyway, had a great THANKSGIVING ride today - got my fresh turkey for tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving - to ALL ! - Canucks that is....
VisionNWRider
Posted 2010-10-10 10:06 PM (#71384 - in reply to #70359)

Iron Butt

Tri Cities, WA
Baadawg good write up.
I will say this. last year we bought my wife a 09 HD Street Glide in june. In july Victory came out with the CC & CR versions, had we known about those bikes ahead of time we would have never bought the HD. Dont get me wrong here guys. My wife loves here HD Street glide now. She also likes the cross country because it does all that the SG does and that's what she wanted. I ride my wife's HD once in while to work which is 100 miles round trip. Street and highway. It always reminds how much i love my Vision. I will say that her 09-HD does get up and move for a stock ride and has lots of great pull on the hiway and passes really well in 6th gear. But like others here have said it just shakes the bones right out of ya at low speed or at a stop. I'm 6'2 and 250LBs and the SG bike just feels so freaking small to me. floor boards or to small, fairing to close, etc-etc. Now that bike does fit my little wife 5'3" frame like a dream and like i said she loves it and rides it like a proud biker should. The whole point of this is that when I do ride her bike it just reminds how much I LOVE TO RIDE MY VISION instead of her sweet black street glide. Just cant figure out how those real big boys ride those HD's??? for long trips. Ok stepping off the box next!