AM/FM Antenna
PalmBeachRider
Posted 2008-03-01 6:33 AM (#6077)
Subject: AM/FM Antenna

Cruiser

Florida
I thought I'd take a poll to see if anyone else is having difficulties with the AM/FM reception. While my Vision's Radio Tuner can pick up a few stations, it cannot get most of the ones I receive in my cars. Yesterday though, I noticed something that bothers me.

On Florida's Turnpike, they have road signs with flashing lights that alert drivers of upcoming delays/accidents. To get the information, you tune to a specific AM Radio Station. Yesterday, the lights were flashing so I tuned to the radio station and the Vision's tuner could not receive this.

Upon deliver and walk-through of the bike, I tuned it to my desired FM station and it could not receive the signal. I does work on some stations, but only a few.

Am I the only one with this issue, or are others having the same problem.

Any fixes?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Big Vic
Posted 2008-03-01 6:37 AM (#6078 - in reply to #6077)
Subject: Re: AM/FM Antenna

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
I get ok reception, but it's nothing to brag about. I use mostly XM radio so I don't notice it as much as some.
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2008-03-01 8:28 AM (#6079 - in reply to #6077)

Iron Butt

, FL United States
I get my local FM stations fine w/i 25 miles or so from home.After that,I use my Ipod.
varyder
Posted 2008-03-01 9:38 AM (#6084 - in reply to #6077)
Subject: RE: AM/FM Antenna

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Mine works as well as the car radio. If you look under the front fairing piece the antenna wire may be unhooked. Just a thought.
bobbybhb
Posted 2008-03-01 9:45 AM (#6085 - in reply to #6077)

Cruiser

CALGARY ALBERTA
I wonder if there is an adjustment. I put a hidden antenna on my HD and adjusted it when I was in a remote area for FM and it works great now. Does anyone have the Vision service disc / manual?
Vsion
Posted 2008-03-01 12:44 PM (#6089 - in reply to #6077)

Cruiser

Southeast, AZ United States
PalmBeachRider - 2008-03-01 3:33 AM

I thought I'd take a poll to see if anyone else is having difficulties with the AM/FM reception. While my Vision's Radio Tuner can pick up a few stations, it cannot get most of the ones I receive in my cars. Yesterday though, I noticed something that bothers me.

On Florida's Turnpike, they have road signs with flashing lights that alert drivers of upcoming delays/accidents. To get the information, you tune to a specific AM Radio Station. Yesterday, the lights were flashing so I tuned to the radio station and the Vision's tuner could not receive this.

Upon deliver and walk-through of the bike, I tuned it to my desired FM station and it could not receive the signal. I does work on some stations, but only a few.

Am I the only one with this issue, or are others having the same problem.

Any fixes?

I have experienced the same reception problems. I'm disappointed in it, but because I use the my IPod I haven't explored it any further. I would be interested in better FM reception, particularly on longer road trips.

Ken
pault754
Posted 2008-03-01 9:45 PM (#6095 - in reply to #6077)

Puddle Jumper

El Paso, TX
I mainly use my ipod, but every now and then use the FM radio and it works fine. Am able to pick up all changes here locally. Something must be wrong with your antenna.
badnvegas
Posted 2008-03-01 10:18 PM (#6099 - in reply to #6077)

Cruiser

Colorado
If you remove the access panel on the front of the bike you will find what looks like a piece of tape with a wire on it. Thats your Antenna ...it wasn't designed for great reception ....someone needs to come up with a better solution ...BANG! BANG! BANG! Hello!!! It sounds like opportunity knocking!!

Edited by badnvegas 2008-03-01 10:22 PM
varyder
Posted 2008-03-02 4:51 AM (#6104 - in reply to #6099)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
You would think it is not made for great reception, but mine is just as good as the car radio. It may just need some tweaking at the dealer or something. I live where there is outlaying stations that are hard to get by the car radio and they pump through just as good on the Vision. I don't want to think I'm the fortunate one here so it must be an easy fix.

Edited by varyder 2008-03-02 4:52 AM
sandman
Posted 2008-03-03 8:08 AM (#6159 - in reply to #6077)

Cruiser

rhode island
My radio reception is very good in city and country. Looks like radios need to be tested on the road before delivering the bikes to the dealers. sounds like russian roulett. The same goes for this stalling issue we keep hearing about.
pollolittle
Posted 2008-03-03 8:37 AM (#6163 - in reply to #6077)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
My radio reception is at best decent. However, with my latest misfortune, I found out something, victory may have been trying out. Up around where the original radio antenna is located, I have found what appears to be a powered antenna with the wires cut to it. It looked like a good idea. If you pull the front access panel mine was about six inches long, double sided taped to the inside with power wires and an antenna lead going to it. I wonder what happened. That would have been awesome. Sometimes, depending on who makes them, they can induce noise into the system or pick up alternator whine. Thought about powering it up and seeing what happens. I know some of you have to have this little gizmo still on the bike.
Jacques
Posted 2008-03-04 4:01 AM (#6248 - in reply to #6077)

Puddle Jumper

London, UK
Hi

I also have a comment/question to add to this. I noticed a plastic tube in the right front fairing trying to trace a rattle and I had no idea what it was. It was the cause of the rattle so I tried to investigate further. I searched for it in the Service Manual and and found a diagram of the right front fairing with the comment "Route antenna guide tube between grill and fairing mount tab". Does anybody know what this does and why it is there ?

Jacques

Edited by Jacques 2008-03-04 4:07 AM
PalmBeachRider
Posted 2008-03-04 12:25 PM (#6262 - in reply to #6077)

Cruiser

Florida
Considering the antenna is located behind an aluminum panel, I'm wondering if that's hindering the reception. I haven't tried any antenna adjustments yet but am wondering if there's any wiggle-room there to experiment.
g1nomad
Posted 2008-03-04 12:59 PM (#6264 - in reply to #6077)

Tourer

SC, Bluffton
Many of us have the reception problem. I was wanting to look for some kind of antenna that looks like a shark fin to mount? As it is, I do not listen to the radio much )o:

Edited by g1nomad 2008-03-04 1:17 PM
Diablo
Posted 2008-06-11 5:58 PM (#11705 - in reply to #6077)

Puddle Jumper

Aurora Colorado
The reception I get on my Vision is worse than spending a couple of hours with my ex-wife. If anyone could find a fix, they could make a pretty penny.
Rebel
Posted 2008-06-11 7:18 PM (#11709 - in reply to #6077)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
Yeah, my radio reception ain't the greatest, either. Normally I listen my MP3 player, but there are times the radio is nice. The only radio stations I get are the really strong ones in this area, and then not that great. I noticed the first weekend I got the bike that my normal radio station dropped out about 30 miles down the highway sooner than it does in my car. An alternative would definitely be nice.
Diablo
Posted 2008-06-11 7:34 PM (#11710 - in reply to #6077)

Puddle Jumper

Aurora Colorado
I have a call into the Polaris techs. Maybe they can help. I will let everyone know when I find out. Also if anyone has been having trouble with their saddle bag alignment. You can call G-Force Powersports at 303-238-4303. They were just faxed a five bag tech help page from Polaris explaining how to align the hinges.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-06-28 8:08 AM (#12502 - in reply to #11709)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Yesterday I spoke with a representative from Victory in person at a rally here where I live. I told him I only had the Vision Tour for a few days and loved the bike. I also told him the radio was a joke. Reception was subpar. I live in a very hilly area so there isn't much line of sight here. Anyways he goes on to tell me that Victory is aware of this issue and as we speak they are working on providing an External Antenna for he Visions. He said he really couldn't say much more about it other than they were aware of the issue and are working to correct it.
amessen
Posted 2008-06-28 9:01 AM (#12504 - in reply to #6077)

Cruiser

Belding Michigan
I had limited reception and problems with the Headsets working My shop did a reflash of the radio to bring it up to current level and voila no more problems I have great radio reception and the headsets work right not sure why but it worked for me. Archie
Rebel
Posted 2008-06-29 8:44 AM (#12556 - in reply to #11705)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
Diablo - 2008-06-11 5:58 PM

The reception I get on my Vision is worse than spending a couple of hours with my ex-wife. If anyone could find a fix, they could make a pretty penny.

A fix for the radio or the ex-wife?? :P
PalmBeachRider
Posted 2008-06-29 10:34 PM (#12585 - in reply to #6077)

Cruiser

Florida
If they are talking about placing the antenna externally, then they probably realized it was a poor idea placing it behind the aluminum portion of the fairing!
divesharc
Posted 2008-06-29 11:27 PM (#12588 - in reply to #6077)

Cruiser

VA
I thought the same thing. Asthetically it won't look as good it you add a while antenna to the bike, I think the CB is quite enough, but it would help a lot I'm sure. I get pretty poor reception most of the time. Only the very local stations come in clear. Many car makers put them in the glass of the windshields along with the defroster. Don't want it in the windshield, but I would think a decent looking fleible antenna mounted under the windshield, underneath or on top of the plastic dash, would improve the reception quite a bit since it wouldn't be underneath a metal object. It still would not be as good as an antenna getting away from all the metal of the bike, but it should improve it.

Edited by divesharc 2008-06-29 11:28 PM