green Neutral light
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-03-30 7:09 PM (#56104)
Subject: green Neutral light

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i noticed my green Neutral light stopped working.. The gear indicator is working. sometimes it jumps in first gear at a light from 1 to 2 then back to 1. I was wondering. is there a bulb to replace where the Green (N) was?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
charbin
Posted 2010-03-31 11:57 AM (#56185 - in reply to #56104)
Subject: RE: green Neutral light

Cruiser

Lavon, TX

Unfortunately, no.  The green "light" is within a sealed unit which also contains the engine, battery, high beam, and cruise indicators. This whole assembly will have to be replaced.

Mine has been out for awhile now - dealer first tried just replacing the gear indicator switch, hoping that would fix the problem - even though the LCD gear indcator was still functioning properly (we waited until my 20K service in order to minimize his expense - since this wasn't a vital repair).

Next week, the extended warranty rep is coming down to view it first-hand, and make a decision on whether or not it is covered under my warranty...

Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-03-31 12:21 PM (#56186 - in reply to #56104)
Subject: Re: green Neutral light

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Oh man I thought I was alone in this in... I'm sorry to see your having the same problem as well.. last night I ripped into the bike only to findout what u just told me... man that's was a lot of work. At least I learned a lot from it... I learned the front speaker can be easy to replace If u want too.. I also got to see how CHEAP them stock speakers look!! Looks like 1980s radip shack speakers. LOL.
charbin
Posted 2010-03-31 12:25 PM (#56187 - in reply to #56104)

Cruiser

Lavon, TX
Yep - Here's a comparison shot of the factory and Alpine SPS-500 speaker drop-in replacement, which I have been quite happy with:

Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-04-01 8:46 PM (#56358 - in reply to #56187)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
charbin - 2010-03-31 12:25 PM

Yep - Here's a comparison shot of the factory and Alpine SPS-500 speaker drop-in?replacement, which I have been quite happy with:

wonder if these are any good? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat13504&type=page&pageI...
exharleyrider
Posted 2010-04-02 7:31 AM (#56400 - in reply to #56104)

Cruiser

Had mine at the dealership yesterday for the same problem. Green Light still works but the display jumps from 1 to 2 to 1 to 2 at will. Dealer sent an e-mail to victory. I'll let you know what they say. We;re going ot wait until next oil change to fix it.
charbin
Posted 2010-04-02 10:04 AM (#56414 - in reply to #56400)

Cruiser

Lavon, TX

Replacing the switch within the crankcase should fix your wacky LCD gear indicator.

The green neutral light not illuminating is due to the lamp burning out within the sealed display - the entire sealed display must be replaced in order to fix this.

These are two separate problems. 

victoryvisiontour
Posted 2010-04-02 1:20 PM (#56433 - in reply to #56104)

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
The speaker in a Hallmark music card is better quality.
charbin
Posted 2010-04-14 2:44 PM (#57485 - in reply to #56433)

Cruiser

Lavon, TX
Extended warranty inspector viewed the bike last Friday - still waiting on the final verdict as to whether or not replacement of the sealed unit will be covered under the warranty.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-04-14 4:33 PM (#57495 - in reply to #56104)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Keep us posted! I'm very curious
charbin
Posted 2010-04-15 7:15 AM (#57563 - in reply to #56104)

Cruiser

Lavon, TX
My service manager called and said that the extended warranty company had denied the claim - siting the fact that I had modified the "electrical system" when I added turn signal LEDs on the outer edges of the mirrors (I tapped into the LH and RH blinker feeds at the front bulbs). If one looks at the electrical schematics, the feed to the green N lamp has no electrical connections whatsoever to the LH and RH blinker indicators - other than the fact that they co-exist within the same sealed structure. I could understand this denial if my blinker indicators had gone out, or if the Auto-Cancel Module was mal-fuctioning. Doubt that this is worth fighting about, but I am going to go speak to my dealer about it. Sounds like I paid for a worthless extended warranty.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-04-15 7:50 AM (#57566 - in reply to #56104)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
If the warranty is that fragile. See if u can get a refund on the warranty since its useless when u need it. Sounds like they can void. Your warranty for having the an electric heated clothing.. this is why I don't want to do all the mods to my bike. I read on the Vogue.net where a claim was denied because of a fuel controller. They claimed the controller broke the fuel pump. (UNtrue) but they have the final say.
charbin
Posted 2010-04-15 8:21 AM (#57570 - in reply to #57566)

Cruiser

Lavon, TX

Yep - if the warranty company sees the list of mods in my signature, I doubt that much of anything will be covered.  Though, per federal law, they are not allowed to deny solely based on the addition of aftermarket stuff - unless they can show cause for a direct relationship.  Again, if my Auto-Cancel Module quit working, they could justifiably argue that adding the extra load from the LEDs "might" have caused the failure - and, as an electrical engineer, I would have to agree that there could be some merit to that claim.  If a fuel pump goes out after the addition of a fuel controller, I can understand how they could "weasle out" of paying for replacement (becuase the controller puts extra demand on fuel pump).

I just checked on the part number for this sealed unit containing the green N - turns out that the entire Instrument Cluster (3280511) must be replaced as a unit (includes speedo, tach, volts, trip computer, all indicator lights, etc), and it retails for $787.32.  No wonder they denied my claim...

In addition, they could justifiably argue that the extended warranty only covers repair/replacement of non-operational vital components that keep the motorcycle properly working - and that the green Neutral light is merely a redundant (as the LCD gear indicator also displays N) operator convenience item.

I'm now thinking seriously about simply drilling a hole off to one side of the dash, installing a weatherproof green led lamp assembly, and moving the neutral signal feed over to it.

stumpy
Posted 2010-04-15 9:48 AM (#57578 - in reply to #56104)

Cruiser

Cabot Arkansas
For the gear indicator jumping from one gear to another there is a bolt in the primary that the coating has come off causing a resistance issue which the gear indicator works from. My dealer called and victory admitted to the issue and sent a new bolt to fix.
VisionTex
Posted 2010-04-15 10:37 AM (#57581 - in reply to #57578)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
This is not to argue the benifits or problems with the extended warranty, but you can cancel this extended warranty and according to mine, get a refund based on the number of years left on the contract. This is basically an insurance policy that I believe is backed by GE Money Bank...not Victory.
This is also not to argue the good and bad service departments, but I was ready for a battle on my fuel pump replacement. My bike has many modification (fuel controller is one) that in reading the warranty would allow them to not pay for the pump. When I took it in, the service manager said don't worry, it will be replaced, WE (service department) will make sure of that. In fact they ordered the pump under the warranty claim number the day I took it in. I was shocked, I was ready to be disappointed. So it's like some dealers disregard the mods and some make it a point to point them out. Does this mysterious inspector really show up, I know for a fact he did not with my fuel pump, dealer said there was no inspection. Also, if he inpsected your N light last Friday, why did it take 6 days to say NO. I'd be really pissed with your service department, why not, they didn't do you any favors! I'm pretty sure they have to prove somehow that your mod made the N light fail, not just tell you that's what did it. Try to get your money back is all I can say. Good luck, ride safe.
varyder
Posted 2010-04-15 10:43 AM (#57582 - in reply to #56104)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
The troubleshooter in me has to ask if there is juice getting to the light to illuminate it and is that confirmed? Of all the problems that people encountered the little green light troubles me the most. The idea alone that one has to replace the entire unit for a $1.00< bulb really sickens me and now wonder whether the rest of unit could go out at any time as well. More than one of you have indicated this problem so I don't see this as isolated.

Electronics of this bike is the heart and soul and I have been reluctant to make any changes as this could mean the death of the overall bike, inviting one gremlin after another in until there is nothing left.

I just don't imagine the vendor using a "burn-outable" bulb in a sealed unit such as this and I'm only hoping that just maybe the little wire is cut somewhere or the sending unit is refusing to send a signal to tell the bulb to light.
charbin
Posted 2010-04-15 11:23 AM (#57585 - in reply to #57582)

Cruiser

Lavon, TX
Proper signal was verified to be on the netural feed wire coming into the sealed block.  Also, since day one, I have had issues with the cruise control light mysteriously coming on from time to time - usually in humid weather.  Service dept has searched for inadequate grounding on criuse several times - to no avail.  Cruise control unit itself has always worked just fine; just, at times, the cruise lamp will flicker for awhile or randomly come on and stay on.   Have recently noticed that the MPG and other entries within the trip computer ramdomly get zeroed out - though both trip odometers never exhibit this problem.
varyder
Posted 2010-04-15 12:22 PM (#57586 - in reply to #56104)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
okay, sounds you have bigger problems with the unit overall, that is acceptable (????) in the scheme of things, meaning the whole unit would be replaced for malfunctioning, not a few cent bulb burning out. It is a shame that warranty won't cover it, I just wonder if you could fight it somehow.

I got the 3yr extended warranty and once again I ask myself why, I've never used and probably never will since it runs out next year and I'm having no issues that warrant execution. I usually refuse the warranty because I've never had the opportunity to use it making it a money waster in my mind, but somehow I thought it to have been a good idear for a first run bike....

Edited by varyder 2010-04-15 12:24 PM
Teach
Posted 2010-04-17 9:04 AM (#57744 - in reply to #56104)

Visionary

The Green N light is REQUIRED by law so they can't argue about replacing it. Second you added a lite that does not affect the system in question but regardless they cannot deny the claim based on those lites. In essense they do NOT have any grounds for denial, but like ANY insurance company their job is to deny all claims. So here is what you do.
1. Get your dealer to call them back and get the claim approved immediately. If they still refuse....
2. Have your dealer put you in touch with the regional Vic rep.... If still not approved
3. Send a certified letter to Victory Corporate.... and finally
4. Contact the Attorney Generals office for your state

Trust me they'll replace it

The holder of the warranty is a division of GE, BUT Polaris/Vic still has a GREAT deal of say.
varyder
Posted 2010-04-17 9:39 AM (#57748 - in reply to #56104)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
well there you have it! case closed, they are required by law to replace your unit to replace the $1.00 bulb.
charbin
Posted 2010-04-17 10:07 AM (#57749 - in reply to #56104)

Cruiser

Lavon, TX

Teach - not sure where you are getting your information from.

Here are the specific required safety items for motorcycles, direct from the Texas Department of Motor Safety website...

05.07 Inspect Every Motorcycle and Motor-Driven Cycle For: (listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Mirror
3. Steering
4. Brakes (system)
5. Tires
6. Wheel Assembly
7. Exhaust System
8. Tail Lamp (1)
9. Stop Lamp (1)
10. License Plate Lamp
11. Rear Red Reflector (1)
12. Head Lamp (1)
13. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number

According to this, the green Neutral light is NOT a required safety item.

Mfoster
Posted 2010-04-17 10:19 AM (#57751 - in reply to #56104)

Cruiser

Well, as much as I like a good fight against "the man" I have to admit there is a logical reasoning flaw here...

"If" the green light is required by law--it does not compel the dealer/warranty to make it work. It just requires you to have it working.

Brake lights are required by law, but if you take a hammer to them..... I think you get the rest...

This issue is about the voiding of the warranty. The rest is commentary.

Fight the verbiage of the warranty as it applies to the mods you did, it is most likely your only hope.
whinchey
Posted 2010-04-17 10:56 AM (#57754 - in reply to #56104)

Cruiser

Yellowknife, NT Canada
I have read this thread and wonder... If you added the necessary isolation electrical components, and pull a trailer and have wired the lights for this purpose, you can have virtually any warranty electrical claim denied..

For your info. When I purchased the Scorpio SR-i900 alarm, I bought the bike specific harness for the install. This short harness went right in between the OEM wiring to the rear tail lights (no cutting, tapping or splicing). I have tapped in my wiring for my trailer harness, and the 4710 brake controller to operate my two top trunk lights. I have ordered the signal mirrors from Muth and I will wire them back to the same harness adapter.

I have been using a small OEM connector to connect my new equipment, so when I remove the connections, there will be a connector wire left behind. I have used dark similar gage wire to run all these connections.

For my accessories I ran a small fuse block from

http://www.powerletproducts.com/product/4position-fuseholder/217

to connect my accessories to and it ties directly to the battery. From here I run all my additional power requirements. By trying to keep it all plug and play, I am hoping I can remove a possible offending device before make a warranty claim. Everything can be removed relatively quickly..

Does anyone remove their fuel controller when going in for service?
Teach
Posted 2010-04-17 11:39 AM (#57755 - in reply to #56104)

Visionary

charbin, federal law requires the manufacturer to install a operational green neutral lite on all newly manufactured motorcycle. Since it is a requirement and still under warranty it is a required item that must be repaired. Texas law cannot and does not supercede federal, although what you referenced is vehicle safety inspection requirements which are often lesser. I may have a reference around here somewhere and if so will post it. I don't wish to debate this but just so as to make the point about requirements: Lots of guys run a tail light modulator/flasher, BUT they are illegal in ALL states. States may choose to ignore said rules BUT that doesn't mean you won't get cited for it if running through another state. Yes I am aware that manufacturers like TailBlazer advertise them as being 50 state legal, but they are not if you check the law.
Anyhow thats what I know and as stated I'll post the reference if I still have it on my PC somewhere.
Teach
Posted 2010-04-17 3:14 PM (#57763 - in reply to #56104)

Visionary

Here is the link: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmc...
See; S5.2.2, & Table 2 column 3
CFR 49 is something you should familiarize yourself with if you have time. Covers a lot of stuff that is handy to know if you tour a lot.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-06-24 7:33 AM (#63025 - in reply to #57763)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Teach - 2010-04-17 3:14 PM

Here is the link: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmc...
See; S5.2.2, & Table 2 column 3
CFR 49 is something you should familiarize yourself with if you have time. Covers a lot of stuff that is handy to know if you tour a lot.

Thank you Teach!!! i just had my entire dashboard replaced (speedo) With no hassle and no one from victory wanted to even see my bike! I mentioned to the dealer that i heard its a federal law that this light must work. He completely again and put up NO fight at all.. I wanted to say thank you for arming me with the Info needed..

on a side note, when i replaced the speedo all my mileages say ZERO.. i thought that was normal with a analog guage, i didnt know it was the same way with a digital one as well.. for some reason i thought all the info was storage in the bikes Ecu? now i havent ridden it yet so....
yoyo
Posted 2010-06-24 9:46 AM (#63036 - in reply to #56104)

Cruiser

ESCALON CA.
most GM odometers get programmed before installation, i did a Ford that came with a door jamd sticker for the previous odometer reading.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-06-24 10:55 AM (#63041 - in reply to #56104)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Hmm interesting.. I wonder if victory is that advanced? i didnt ride it yet. but just starting it up and going through the settings (on the left handlebar switch) shown all ZERO's.. all my friends i told this joke i have a NEW 08 vision.. lol but id rather have it back the way it was.. I am glad to have that GREEN N back!!
Thomas
Posted 2017-09-27 7:45 AM (#192276 - in reply to #57570)

Central Wisconsin

This thread is over seven years old.

My green neutral light went out. I was wondering if any of you have wired up a seperate green neutral light?

Below I quoted charbin.
Posted 2010-04-15 8:21 AM (#57570 - in reply to #57566)

I just checked on the part number for this sealed unit containing the green N - turns out that the entire Instrument Cluster (3280511) must be replaced as a unit (includes speedo, tach, volts, trip computer, all indicator lights, etc), and it retails for $787.32.  No wonder they denied my claim...

I'm now thinking seriously about simply drilling a hole off to one side of the dash, installing a weatherproof green led lamp assembly, and moving the neutral signal feed over to it.

lennyb
Posted 2017-10-01 6:22 AM (#192281 - in reply to #192276)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
I have not performed this mod, but if there was a way to trace the power source for the light I would be looking for a thin stick on light board to mount over the original N location.

Good luck.

BTW images on your prior post are no longer available. Says your photobucket account needs to be updated.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2017-10-01 12:51 PM (#192282 - in reply to #56104)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
The green (N) is part of a circuit board. , it's not a individual wired light. I know when I started this thread 7 years ago for my 08 vision
The warranty company didn't want t o pay for it.. that was until the dealer said ..if this light came on the bike . It MUST work for state inspection ... and because of that.. it forces the warranty to replace the entire dash , as my bike was then deemed Not legal to be on the road because of it bei mg required to work .
johnnyvision
Posted 2017-10-08 11:06 AM (#192290 - in reply to #56104)

Visionary

mine jumps from 1 to 2 or even 3 am guessing its the wire in the connector that is screwed up
johnnyvision
Posted 2017-10-08 11:07 AM (#192291 - in reply to #56104)

Visionary

mine jumps from 1 to 2 or even 3 am guessing its the wire in the connector that is screwed up
lennyb
Posted 2017-10-09 9:03 AM (#192293 - in reply to #192291)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
The dealer repaired the same issue 2x on mine while still under warranty. Reportedly it is a common problem, and they replaced a plunger in the gear indicator switch assembly to fix it.