Thinking about selling, need advice
Bones
Posted 2019-02-12 10:14 AM (#192786)
Subject: Thinking about selling, need advice

Puddle Jumper

Rossville, IL

Breaks my heart to be thinking about it, but have been giving some thought to selling my Vision.  

I've been a loyal Victory owner since '04, first with a TCD maxed out with all the options, then an '06 Indy Red Kingpin Deluxe, then an '09 Vision Touring (currently in Street form) that has tons of Lloyd's upgrades & custom paint.

Over the years, I've been involved as a Secretary with our Local Victory riding club and rode on many trips including Spirit Lake and Thunder Beach with our group.  My wife and I have made many new friends and have lots of fond memories along the way.

Like all things in life, our priorities change as we get older.  We are building our forever house, enjoying being new grandparents, in the process of taking over a small family farming operation, and I can retire from my full time job anytime I wish.  Our health is still good and we have several other new hobbies we are exploring.

With Polaris dropping the Victory line, we were deeply saddened and disappointed.  We thought about trading to an Indian, but they don't ride anything like the Vision and I don't like all the fake parts trying to make them look nostalgic.  Looked at the new Honda's, Yamaha's, and BMW's, but they are not our cup of tea and didn't like the way any of them rode either.  HD's may be an option, but they are a serious step down from what I'm used to.  We just don't ride that much anymore and enjoy taking the old street rod out instead with the grandkids.

For those of you that has sold bikes in the past, any advice on the best way of going about it?  I know the value of these bikes have plummeted after looking online.  I see '09 visions selling from $4k-$10k on cycletrader and not nearly as nice ours. Is that a good place to advertise it?  If you've sold your bike, any regrets afterwards not keeping it?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
twocell
Posted 2019-02-25 7:25 AM (#192788 - in reply to #192786)
Subject: Re: Thinking about selling, need advice

Puddle Jumper

Lackawaxen PA United States
There are always regrets afterwards, if you can afford to keep it why not? One day, maybe right now, we riding The American Classic .... you can't deny it still turns heads enjoy it
bfisherman11
Posted 2019-03-06 12:56 PM (#192794 - in reply to #192786)

Puddle Jumper

Bones, I am like you. I turn 60 in May, hit 25yrs at my job in Sept. We are working with a contractor now to build our forever home on our land in WI.... I still enjoy riding though, my riding is my commute to work mostly or a weekend jaunt here or there with the wife on the back for a couple hours. I don't trust the cagers at all, too many times I have almost bought it because some millennial was driving and texting or a soccer mom driving and texting on the phone/not hands free by the way... UGH Even blowing through red lights or just changing lanes without looking, ha I have become the best defensive driver I know. LOL

Anyhow, I think about it, I sure do.

Bill
Bones
Posted 2019-03-07 6:38 AM (#192795 - in reply to #192786)

Puddle Jumper

Rossville, IL
bfisherman11...well said!!! My wife and I truly still enjoy riding it and I've always been a very defensive driver, but you have to be extremely careful now days and it kind of takes the fun out of riding. We've switched it over to Street trim for short rides now as all of our friends we used to ride with have all sold their Vics and moved on to other things.

twocell, we don't need to sell it and it owes us nothing other than taking up space in the shed. I was thinking we ought to get rid of it while it might still be worth a little something. Been giving it a lot of thought still and your'e right, it does turn a lot of heads and it is the most comfortable bike we've ever ridden. If we were to get an HD, I would never be happy with it and would be dumping money down the drain to try and get it where we would be.

The more I'm thinking about it, I know we would regret selling it.

The tires are original, time to be thinking about replacing them before this riding season. H'mm, I've been thinking about going to the darkside. Will have to get back on the Darkside Riders forum to see what everybody is running now.
rdbudd
Posted 2019-03-07 11:34 AM (#192796 - in reply to #192786)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
I'm sort of in the same boat, and have thought about selling mine too. I'm 68, soon to be 69 years old. We don't ride like we used to. Every winter, I think about selling it, but then Spring comes and I go for a ride. I know I would regret not having a bike.

After Victory made the big announcement about dropping Victory like a hot rock, resale values around here plummeted. I've been watching the classified ads on all sources for the past couple of years. They seem to have hit a new (low) plateau. Bikes like mine, as nice or nicer, have been advertised as low as $5000, and they are not selling. I'm not going to give it away. My son also rides. He might just inherit it when I can no longer ride.

Edited by rdbudd 2019-03-07 11:34 AM