isolators
beemerdad2@yahoo.com
Posted 2015-03-27 9:06 AM (#171506)
Subject: isolators

Cruiser

Once I get the hitch installed on my '10 Vision, it'll be the third bike I've used to pull my pop-up. I've never used an isolator but this Vic is the newest/most expensive bike I've owned, so I don't really want to burn something up. However, I don't really know what the an isolator is for or why I really need one.

Anybody here shed some light for me?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
okie vision
Posted 2015-03-27 9:36 AM (#171507 - in reply to #171506)
Subject: Re: isolators

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
Assuming your pop up uses a 4 wire flat plug, I've been running the Hopkins. Had an issue with one and called their customer service, which was excellent in my experience.
Without asking me to even return the isolator I had, they shipped me a newer verison "short proof" which I'm running now. Works great.
There's probably an endless choice for these things, different costs and choices of where to get them but this one definitely works and fully protects your bikes electronics from the trailer circuits.

Hopkins 46365 Short Proof Power Converter
http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-46365-Short-Proof-Converter/dp/B0002Q...
RiverRat
Posted 2015-03-27 1:59 PM (#171508 - in reply to #171506)

Puddle Jumper

Southern Indiana
An isolator works kinda like a relay in that it takes the added load of the trailing lighting away from the motorcycle wiring that was not designed for the added load of the extra light, there are a lot of people on here that will argue that with LED lighting you do not need it. Personally in todays world companies are looking for any way to cut cost when building a bike and if you have priced any copper lately you would under stand why wiring would be the first thing cut to only what is needed to do the job.

The isolator has a power wire from the battery that supplies power to the circuit board in the isolator, there are signal wires coming out of the isolator that connect to your bike wiring harness and these wires send a signal to the circuit board to trigger it to send the power out to the trailer wiring coming out of the isolator to power you trailer light. with this there is no load added to your bike wiring harness.

Some people have had problems with the auto cancel working on the turn signal when they add the load of the trailer turn signals to the bike wiring without an isolator.
beemerdad2@yahoo.com
Posted 2015-03-27 6:56 PM (#171511 - in reply to #171508)

Cruiser

Ah that makes sense to me then even if I'm no kind of electrical guru. I like that it won't put additional stress on the bike's electrical system as well because I'm thinking of running the sequential tail lights as well as the kuryakyn thing for the trunk lights.

Thanks again.