Dupont Imron
radioteacher
Posted 2008-08-06 6:05 PM (#15371)
Subject: Dupont Imron

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
In the early 1980's I built an electric guitar out of a slab of mahogany and a pre-made bolt on neck. I painted it using no primer, about 10 coats Imron Midnight Blue Metallic and three coats of Imron Clear. The guitar still looks and plays great after twenty five years.

What is a comparable durable finish to Dupont Imron that I could use for a gloss black to paint a few parts on the Vision or is Imron still a great paint? When applying Imron I had a problem with orange peel and fish eyes in the high humidity of Rockport, TX, is this still something to look out for?

I was thinking of clear coating after to the black is applied. Would this be a good idea?

Can I use Imron to repaint my Vision or is it too hard and it will crack when flexed?

I do not want to use the factory paint since I feel it is too soft.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Wizard523
Posted 2008-08-06 6:57 PM (#15374 - in reply to #15371)
Subject: Re: Dupont Imron

Tourer

Woodland Hills, CA
I know this isn't a complete answer to your question, but FYI, I used Imron to repaint an airplane, and in all the flexing it did during flight (which was considerably more than anything the Vision will do), it never once cracked or showed any signs of wear, and that was at speeds at well over 150 mph. Not sure how it will work on plastic, but it was great on aluminum. A bit pricey though.
river v
Posted 2008-08-08 11:05 AM (#15576 - in reply to #15371)
Subject: RE: Dupont Imron

Puddle Jumper

Fort Myers, FL United States
It is a popular choice for painting fiberglass boats and has proven very durable. The plastic parts shouldn't pose a problem.
radioteacher
Posted 2008-08-08 4:15 PM (#15604 - in reply to #15371)
Subject: Re: Dupont Imron

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Thanks,

I will begin the process of acquiring the right equipment and build an area to safely apply the paint. I will paint it Midnight Blue Metallic with white pin stripes and keep my chrome. I have always liked that color combination.

I would send it out but I think I can buy the equipment and do it my self for the price that I would pay for others to remove the parts and paint them and reassemble the Vision. Plus in the end I would still have the equipment.