Did the test ride today...
proffsionl
Posted 2008-07-21 6:57 PM (#13993)
Subject: Did the test ride today...

Puddle Jumper

Austin, Texas
So, my previous bikes have been a Yamaha FJR1300AE (current), Gold Wing 1800, BMW K1200LT, Honda ST1100.

So, this is the first big twin I've ridden in 20 years (never owned one). My initial impressions:

Handling: Wow! I like this...the size and heft simply disappear once it is moving. I also like the low speed handling. Had a bit of a cross wind and felt a bit of push on the highway (mostly from the tail trunk). I'm sure that will go away once my DW is on the back.

Engine: This is the part I have to get used to...being a twin (and me being used to 4 or more cylinders), it just seemed, well, rough. It just never felt smooth to me (compared to what I'm used to). Plenty of torque, though.

Comfort: I didn't play with the gadgets much...I just wanted to find my comfortable position. I love the big floorboards. I never did get used to the seating position with my feet being out in front of me (see my aforementioned past bikes). Again, something else I am sure I'd get used to. Lastly, the heat, oh, the heat. We got stuck at a light for a few changes and my right leg absolutely cooked (yes, I had my boots/jeans on). The ambient temp was over 100, so I'm sure this added to it, but it got almost unbearable. I do spend a fair amount of time in traffic (unavoidable in Austin), but that was just too much. Almost a deal-breaker.

Overall, it's a really nice bike (call it a version 1.0 of their luxo tourer). I'm interested to see what the 2009s have different. I love the look of it, just wish the side bags had more room.

Now I just have to decide between this and the Beemer (yep, it's back on my list).

This forum has been a great source of information. One of the things that drew me to this bike was the passion expressed on this site for the Vision. Reminds me of my BMW LT forum I was on...always nice to have a support group.

Now, I think I'm gonna go do some thinkin' drinkin'...

Kevin
Austin, Texas
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Easttexasrider
Posted 2008-07-21 10:31 PM (#14009 - in reply to #13993)
Subject: RE: Did the test ride today...

Cruiser

Lindale, TX
I have a K1200LT and am considering selling it for a Vision. I have not had a chance to ride one. How do you think it would fit a big rider (6'6" 275 BIG)? The LT leg position, even with MOPs, is killing me and I need something to strech out on.
space_cwboy
Posted 2008-07-21 10:42 PM (#14013 - in reply to #13993)
Subject: Re: Did the test ride today...

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
easttexasrider...with the "serving platter" floorboards, you'll stretch out just fine. For you big fellers, there is a member of this forum that has fabricated his own "extended" highway pegs, attached to the front tip over parts. He is also something like 6'6" or 6'7", sd I think he said a 38" inseam. You two should compare notes.
NastySplinter
Posted 2008-07-21 11:04 PM (#14015 - in reply to #13993)

Puddle Jumper

Strongsville, Ohio
easttexasrider, go for the purchase of a Vision. I am 6'7'' 300 lbs and have a 37" inseam. I have looked at, checked out specs and test rode many bikes till I found my Vision. This bike is the only one that fits me well right out of the box. Don't have to do the extended control stuff or tall boy seats. Vision foot controls are adjustable to three positions. No extra costs involved!

I am not the guy with the customized highhway pegs though. I would would like to get some info on these. For now, I use the front tip overs as extended pegs.
pollolittle
Posted 2008-07-22 8:02 AM (#14035 - in reply to #13993)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Easttexasrider - where at in East Texas, I'm from the Panola County area, around Carthage. Everything I've heard should work, but I'm only 5'10".
amessen
Posted 2008-07-22 12:28 PM (#14062 - in reply to #13993)

Cruiser

Belding Michigan
Well I am not the guy with the pegs but I would like to catch up with him. I would like to contract a set of the pegs but that said. I am one of the bigger riders here I am 6' 10" tall and weigh 400 lbs this bike was made with me in mind yes the shifter and the brake adust and I sit comfortable for the first time in 37 years of riding. I get off the bike with the tank empty and don't have to crawl to the gas pump. Before at 100 to 120 miles my back and butt as well as my knees needed relief so I love this bike. Archie
amessen
Posted 2008-07-22 12:28 PM (#14063 - in reply to #13993)

Cruiser

Belding Michigan
Well I am not the guy with the pegs but I would like to catch up with him. I would like to contract a set of the pegs but that said. I am one of the bigger riders here I am 6' 10" tall and weigh 400 lbs this bike was made with me in mind yes the shifter and the brake adust and I sit comfortable for the first time in 37 years of riding. I get off the bike with the tank empty and don't have to crawl to the gas pump. Before at 100 to 120 miles my back and butt as well as my knees needed relief so I love this bike. Archie
space_cwboy
Posted 2008-07-22 9:49 PM (#14132 - in reply to #13993)

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
The guy's name with the pegs attached to the tipovers is "Stretch". He is from TN. Do a search on this forum for "pegs", scroll down the hit list until you see a post from Stretch, click on it, and go from there.....

Hope this helps.

I'm not "vertically enhanced" like a few of you above, but will be looking into fabricating a flat plate to attach to my highway peg mounts to push the current location of my highway pegs at least 3-4" further forward. I'm leaving on a long (5000+ mile ride in a little over a week, and once I return in mid-August, I'll star that little project. No time before the trip, as I'm out of town till 7/25, and leave in the wee hours of 7/31.
Easttexasrider
Posted 2008-07-22 9:52 PM (#14133 - in reply to #13993)

Cruiser

Lindale, TX
I'm from Lindale. I just need to break down and schedule a test ride. I fear the K1200LT may be left on Victory's used lot if I try the Vision.
radioteacher
Posted 2008-07-22 10:06 PM (#14139 - in reply to #13993)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
One size fits all.

The Vision is the first perfect fit bike for me. At 5'6", 260 pounds and a 28" inseam the Vision fits me perfectly. Most motorcycles have a seat height of 28 inches or more. The HD dealer wanted to lower a bike for me. All it would take is $$$$ and a ride with no travel in the suspension.

I had the controls pulled all of the way back and it is perfect. The highway pegs are a bit of a reach but are ok. I was thinking of building new brackets to relocate the highway pegs 2 inches closer.
space_cwboy
Posted 2008-07-22 10:11 PM (#14141 - in reply to #13993)

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
radioteacher -

what I posted above that will hopefully move the pegs 3"-4" further forward for me should be able to be mounted towards the rear for you instead of towards the front for me. Once I fabricate a set after my trip, I'll post a pic or two. Really simple idea, not rocket science at all!

Edited by space_cwboy 2008-07-22 10:12 PM