Rear Grab Handle Covers
ruttrow
Posted 2008-07-17 7:43 PM (#13758)
Subject: Rear Grab Handle Covers

Cruiser

Illinois
Seeing as I don't have a service manual yet, has anyone removed these handles? I work at a precision metal fabricator/machining company and would like to make a cover to replace the handles. I hear that Ness makes something out of plastic for hundreds of dollars. That is not an option for me. If I had a handle I could hand it off to our engineering department and have them look at making some covers. If we could do it I would be happy to have some made for those that would be interested. Without having any idea what the handle itself looks like I don't know how much would be involved. Anybody have a picture of the uninstalled handle? Anyone want to send me one to try and get covers made? If so, I would still like to see a picture first. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Mike

Top of the page Bottom of the page
graybeard
Posted 2008-07-17 8:29 PM (#13764 - in reply to #13758)
Subject: Re: Rear Grab Handle Covers

Cruiser

NW Illinois
I for one would love to see what you come up with
I have not taken them off yet so no help there
RotnRat
Posted 2008-07-17 10:02 PM (#13772 - in reply to #13758)
Subject: RE: Rear Grab Handle Covers

Cruiser

South of Houston Tx
I've seen pictures of the Ness solution and it looks good but I have one question about the removal of the rear handles. If you should ever find your vision sitting on the tip overs, how in the world would you get it up? I was never shown how or read how in the manual, but the one time I did need to pick mine up I did so by using the hand grip and that handle on the back, maybe this is wrong but it worked. Well it worked after a few tries, the first go at it and it didn't budge had the number 900 rolling around in my head, about the third try when I felt the thing give and start to move, I knew I had it, but like I said, I couldn't imagine doing it without the handle.
Rebel
Posted 2008-07-17 11:32 PM (#13774 - in reply to #13772)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
RotnRat - 2008-07-17 10:02 PM

I've seen pictures of the Ness solution and it looks good but I have one question about the removal of the rear handles. If you should ever find your vision sitting on the tip overs, how in the world would you get it up? I was never shown how or read how in the manual, but the one time I did need to pick mine up I did so by using the hand grip and that handle on the back, maybe this is wrong but it worked. Well it worked after a few tries, the first go at it and it didn't budge had the number 900 rolling around in my head, about the third try when I felt the thing give and start to move, I knew I had it, but like I said, I couldn't imagine doing it without the handle.

Stick your butt in the seat, knees flexed. Grab the passenger handle closest to the ground with one hand, grab the handgrip closest to the ground with the other (turn the handlebars as if you were making a turn in the direction that the bike fell). Finally, use your legs to press your butt to lift the bike back to its balance point so you can then rest it on the kickstand. Done properly, my 140 pound wife could raise the bike back up.
Lifeisgood
Posted 2008-07-18 1:49 AM (#13780 - in reply to #13758)

Cruiser

Victoria, BC
You can see that technique at the end of this video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8444995873712625015&pr=goog...
VICTORYTCRIDER
Posted 2008-07-18 8:17 AM (#13786 - in reply to #13758)
Subject: Re: Rear Grab Handle Covers

Cruiser

Capitol Region of NH
Also go to thevog.net and the guy that runs this site "Victory owners group" has a video of returning the bike to upright position from the tip overs.