Tip over points work great!
radioteacher
Posted 2008-07-14 3:18 AM (#13523)
Subject: Tip over points work great!

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
My wife just got a helmet and Sunday we took our first short ride. It was an 80 mile round trip on the back roads to Boerne, TX and her third time on any bike. She did very well.

She was a bit concerned when I dropped the Vision, while coming to a complete stop, on its tip over points.

A gentleman in a car stopped to help and the said that he was a power lifter. (People are so nice) I told him that I should be able to do it and he watched me pick it back up. He was amazed. I told him that the bike currently about 890 pounds.

The Vision was on its right side and already in first gear. I put down the kick stand first then lifted the bike as the manual described (legs not back) and set it on the kickstand. She was a bit shook up but got back on and all is well. We were unhurt but she might have bruised the inside of her leg trying to hold onto the bike as it was going over.

Even after that, she still wants to ride with me the next weekend that she is off of work.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rebel
Posted 2008-07-14 4:41 AM (#13526 - in reply to #13523)
Subject: Re: Tip over points work great!

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
Yes, they are really nice. I use them all the time to make it easier to polish up the left side.
Magic
Posted 2008-07-14 10:11 AM (#13537 - in reply to #13523)
Subject: RE: Tip over points work great!

Cruiser

San Antonio, Texas
Paul,

Glad to hear everything came out OK. 890 pounds should have had that power lifter staring at you and just wondering......

Glad your wife still wants to ride!

Rebel--nice tip on the tip-over cleaning. That's more of what this forum is about--Vision riders helping others.
DecTec
Posted 2008-07-14 11:24 PM (#13594 - in reply to #13537)

Cruiser

Pocono Mountains of PA
Same thing happened to me, come to a stop and over...

They also work at 25 MPH, as I found out on the V2V leg 13. Making a left turn the rear wheel locked and down I went sliding across an intersection... not a scratch except the underside of the tipovers.....

BTW.... My wife got back on and keeps on riding also

Fergy
Posted 2008-07-16 3:27 PM (#13659 - in reply to #13523)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX

Tip overs work great except I'm slowly wearing mine down while turning. In a few thousand more miles, I'll probably have to replace the front and rear tip over pieces along with my floorboards because the road surface is grinding them down.

(IMG_4848 (Small).JPG)

(IMG_4852 (Small).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_4848 (Small).JPG (43KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments IMG_4852 (Small).JPG (35KB - 0 downloads)
radioteacher
Posted 2008-07-16 4:13 PM (#13662 - in reply to #13523)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Fergy,

You have a Vulcan, Viper and the Vision plus post stories of grinding tip overs and putting the Viper on a race track. One would think that you push machines to their limits.

I wonder if someone needs to design some cheap tip-over protectors for the Vision. Something sacrificial that can be trashed and replaced when ground down.
Fergy
Posted 2008-07-16 4:30 PM (#13666 - in reply to #13662)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX

radioteacher - 2008-07-16 3:13 PM I wonder if someone needs to design some cheap tip-over protectors for the Vision. Something sacrificial that can be trashed and replaced when ground down.

That would be a good idea. The splitter on the front of a race car has "rub" strips which can be replaced rather than replacing the $2000 carbon fiber splitter. The floorboards on my Vulcan have screws at the scrape points that can be replaced before the floorboards get scraped. The Vision has none of these things. My floorboards are scraped up pretty bad and my all 4 of my tip overs are badly scraped as well. It would cost some serious coin to replace all those parts. As a result, the parts will have to look pretty bad before I'd be willing to buy new parts; especially since I'll just do the same thing to the new parts.

Rebel
Posted 2008-07-17 5:24 AM (#13714 - in reply to #13523)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
Luckily, with my suspension jacked up I don't have those rubbing problems. Even though I've taken steep enough curves and turns to make the bike lean over far more than my wife was comfortable with.
Fergy
Posted 2008-07-17 12:24 PM (#13729 - in reply to #13714)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX

Rebel - 2008-07-17 4:24 AM Luckily, with my suspension jacked up I don't have those rubbing problems. Even though I've taken steep enough curves and turns to make the bike lean over far more than my wife was comfortable with.

I've jacked mine up as well. I have 45 PSI in the shock now. It's fine when 2-up but very firm solo. Still, it lifts the tip overs but I still scrape them.