Whats with Pricing?
Teach
Posted 2008-07-13 1:24 PM (#13471)
Subject: Whats with Pricing?

Visionary

Has anyone really wondered what Victory/Polaris was thinking with their prices on Accessories or is it just me?
Call me silly but I thought HD was expensive until I saw the prices Polaris is asking for stuff. The passenger backrest $450 bucks? For what, its a mount and a pad. The same part for a HD would run half of that. $400 for the luggage rack that fits on the backrest?? Are they insane?

Ok so maybe I'm silly but I'm fabricating my OWN passenger backrest from a Harley detachable backrest I have left over from my Glide. Should be a simple matter of altering the mounting plates and I will post when I get it done with complete instructions on everything. This will make available the option of adding a luggage rack (HD of course) to said backrest at less than 1/3 of what it costs for the same item(s) through Victory.

I'm sorry but when you do the math Victory has lost their mind:

Backrest w/Pad Victory= $449.99 HD= $220. w/pad

Luggage rack Victory= $300+ HD= $120

Tour Pack LR Victory= $250+ HD= $120 (premium rack)

Somebody needs to get their prices in line......
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Spock
Posted 2008-07-13 1:43 PM (#13472 - in reply to #13471)
Subject: RE: Whats with Pricing?

Tourer

Carrollton, TX

Teach - 2008-07-13 12:24 PM Has anyone really wondered what Victory/Polaris was thinking with their prices on Accessories or is it just me? Call me silly but I thought HD was expensive until I saw the prices Polaris is asking for stuff. The passenger backrest $450 bucks? For what, its a mount and a pad. The same part for a HD would run half of that. $400 for the luggage rack that fits on the backrest?? Are they insane? Ok so maybe I'm silly but I'm fabricating my OWN passenger backrest from a Harley detachable backrest I have left over from my Glide. Should be a simple matter of altering the mounting plates and I will post when I get it done with complete instructions on everything. This will make available the option of adding a luggage rack (HD of course) to said backrest at less than 1/3 of what it costs for the same item(s) through Victory. I'm sorry but when you do the math Victory has lost their mind: Backrest w/Pad Victory= $449.99 HD= $220. w/pad Luggage rack Victory= $300+ HD= $120 Tour Pack LR Victory= $250+ HD= $120 (premium rack) Somebody needs to get their prices in line......

Harley has always been better at getting and using child labor to keep their prices down on accessories.

cw1115
Posted 2008-07-13 1:56 PM (#13474 - in reply to #13471)
Subject: Re: Whats with Pricing?

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
There is a vision backrest on ebay for $299 plus shipping, no reserve. I wish I had the money to buy it myself. No bids so far with three days left.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLARIS-VICTORY-VISION-PASSENGER-BAC...
Rebel
Posted 2008-07-13 9:59 PM (#13491 - in reply to #13471)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
Do the math, man. There's fewer than 3000 Visions on the road, so I imagine Victory only had about 1000-1500 backrests made, if that; whereas there are about 5 million HD Electras/Ultras on the road. Buy in bulk and you can get a better deal. The question you really should be asking is why the HD one is $220 instead of $59.95.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-07-14 1:00 AM (#13517 - in reply to #13471)

Visionary

So Cal
Teach - 2008-07-13 10:24 AM

Has anyone really wondered what Victory/Polaris was thinking with their prices on Accessories or is it just me?
Call me silly but I thought HD was expensive until I saw the prices Polaris is asking for stuff. The passenger backrest $450 bucks? For what, its a mount and a pad. The same part for a HD would run half of that. $400 for the luggage rack that fits on the backrest?? Are they insane?

Ok so maybe I'm silly but I'm fabricating my OWN passenger backrest from a Harley detachable backrest I have left over from my Glide. Should be a simple matter of altering the mounting plates and I will post when I get it done with complete instructions on everything. This will make available the option of adding a luggage rack (HD of course) to said backrest at less than 1/3 of what it costs for the same item(s) through Victory.

I'm sorry but when you do the math Victory has lost their mind:

Backrest w/Pad Victory= $449.99 HD= $220. w/pad

Luggage rack Victory= $300+ HD= $120

Tour Pack LR Victory= $250+ HD= $120 (premium rack)

Somebody needs to get their prices in line......

You could have one custom made for those prices. Best thing to do is not buy factory accessories. Victory may get the hint and lower the prices. On the other hand they may discontinue them also. Not a great loss considering the price.
visionbob
Posted 2008-07-15 8:26 PM (#13630 - in reply to #13471)

Cruiser

Cumming, GA
If you want a backrest, go to www.Utopia.com. For $200 it is a great deal and very comfortable. It is the same backrest that is on the Goldwings.
sledgehammer
Posted 2008-07-15 9:12 PM (#13634 - in reply to #13630)

Cruiser

Corpus Christi Tx.
visionbob - 2008-07-15 8:26 PM

If you want a backrest, go to www.Utopia.com. For $200 it is a great deal and very comfortable. It is the same backrest that is on the Goldwings.

I tried that website and did not see one that sells motorcycle parts. There are more than one Utopia site and they sell video games. Did I miss something?

Thanks.
Joe
Long_Will
Posted 2008-07-15 9:37 PM (#13635 - in reply to #13471)

Puddle Jumper

Quincy Massachusetts
I could not agree with you more, Vision accessories are priced in the astronomical range. What were they thinking? Apparently Vision owners have an unlimited budget and no common sense?

I think you have the right solution, retro fit the less expensive and more abundant HD accessories. Sign me up for the second unit you build...
metalguy
Posted 2008-07-16 1:47 AM (#13638 - in reply to #13471)

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
I too, will be making my own. I could go with Titanium for the price Victory wants. I was waiting to see how they mount, but I see now that you have to cut up your finish plate for the street version...Hell, anyone can make a backrest/rack and do that! I will go with stainless, and make mine with some kind of "V" logo... It is really high, price-wise. I could buy the equipment to plasma cut one out, and still come out with a cheaper price. ------Metalguy
Lifeisgood
Posted 2008-07-16 2:49 AM (#13641 - in reply to #13471)

Cruiser

Victoria, BC
Sledgehammer, try here for the Utopia site - http://www.utpr.com/vision.html

Reg

Edited by Lifeisgood 2008-07-16 2:51 AM
Baddog69
Posted 2008-07-16 3:02 AM (#13642 - in reply to #13471)

Cruiser

Billings, MT

I too believe that Victory's Vision extras are a little high priced.  But, when i have recieved them I have been very impressed with the quality of the parts I purchased.  I bought the backrest and rack, my dealer gave me 20% discount because I ordered them with mt tour premium.

Comparing them to the HD stuff is funny, I have seen some of HD's  sheet metal punched and chrome pieces are a sad thing when I compare them to the Vision parts.  The Vision parts are made of large chunks of thick metal, welded very good, chrome seems to be good (time will tell), and the installation of them is very well thought out. I have help some HD buddies put on their extras, some time you need to be and engineer to figure it out.

Over all I am very happy with what i get when purchased! 

Teach
Posted 2008-07-16 3:13 PM (#13657 - in reply to #13471)

Visionary

Baddog, I think you missed the point. It costs next to nothing for Victory to manufacture or farm out these accessories to smaller companies and they still charge double what HD (who is known to be high) asks. I'm sure the parts are of good quality, hell they should be for $500 a backrest. My point is there really isn't ANY justification for this but greed. Another fine example is the $1000 GPS they sell which you can buy on Ebay without the Victory logo for $225. That is one expensive badge.

Oh I did pick up that backrest from Ebay close to the opening price, BUT I am going to fab a backrest out of old HD parts I have around anyhow. I'll be doing this in my spare time and after its complete I'll post some pic's. I'll also find out what it would cost to have them made up and chromed (good quality stuff, not cheap). Once I have that all sorted out I'll be more than happy to have them made up for anyone who wants one (less the pad which you can pick up at any HD shop yourself).
ruttrow
Posted 2008-07-16 4:19 PM (#13663 - in reply to #13657)

Cruiser

Illinois
Teach - 2008-07-16 3:13 PM

Baddog, I think you missed the point. It costs next to nothing for Victory to manufacture or farm out these accessories to smaller companies and they still charge double what HD (who is known to be high) asks. I'm sure the parts are of good quality, hell they should be for $500 a backrest. My point is there really isn't ANY justification for this but greed. Another fine example is the $1000 GPS they sell which you can buy on Ebay without the Victory logo for $225. That is one expensive badge.

I agree, and from someone that has spent way too much money on HD accesories, which I thought were stupid prices to begin with, Victory makes HD prices look good.
sledgehammer
Posted 2008-07-17 10:51 PM (#13773 - in reply to #13641)

Cruiser

Corpus Christi Tx.
Lifeisgood - 2008-07-16 2:49 AM

Sledgehammer, try here for the Utopia site - http://www.utpr.com/vision.html

Reg

Thanks very much for the link.

Ride safe.
bigwill5150
Posted 2008-07-18 2:12 AM (#13782 - in reply to #13471)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
I'm not an economics expert but I beleive this all comes down to one thing: There is NO other competition for most of the accesseries they are marking up astronomically. As far as quality goes: I am NOT impressed with the plasticrap chrome body panels they are cranking out for upwards to $300. I was duped ONCE and will not buy another piece of the stuff. For me, it doesn't come down to the price so much as the price versus the benefit. If it were the RIGHT accessory, made the RIGHT way, I wouldnt mind spending a grand or so. Problem for me is; NOTHING in their catalog is. $400 for a set of auxillary lights? WTF!