Wounded pride, deflated ego, coming clean.
Innkeepers
Posted 2008-07-11 8:23 PM (#13373)
Subject: Wounded pride, deflated ego, coming clean.

Cruiser

Puyallup, Washington

I haven’t posted for a while, and it’s time I came clean.   I’ve been suffering from severe cases of wounded pride and deflated ego.  Unfortunately, that’s not the worst of it.  Last month my wife and I were on our long anticipated ride from Washington to her nephew’s High School graduation in Pleasanton, CA. 

We were having a great time in our third day when I made a miscalculation on curvy Highway 1 about 40 miles from San Francisco.  I was in the middle of a sharp left hand turn when I anticipated on-coming traffic was way too fast for the curve so I tried to adjust my line farther outside.  Big mistake; there just wasn’t enough room.  We hit the road edge and the bike slid out from under us.  We weren’t going very fast so we didn’t slide far, but, we went over hard on the left side.  Carmen, my wife, suffered the most.  Her helmet visor hit the road and then the left side of her head hit the visor.  She was conscious and talking afterwards, but she wasn’t making much sense so she was transported by ambulance to Marin County General Hospital.  At the hospital, it was determined that she had a fractured left shoulder, a concussion, and a small bit of road rash on her left side.  Since Carmen’s injuries didn’t seem severe and I was only suffering some stiffness around my left rib cage (it would soon become more like, ‘don’t come near me, it only hurts when I breath pain&rsquo I stayed with the bike and one of California’s finest Highway Patrol Officers  for a long wait for a tow truck.

In the immediate aftermath of the accident, after tending to Carmen, some Good Samaritans, who had stopped to render assistance, and I tried to stand the bike up to see if it was rideable.  Note to everyone:  If you slide off the road onto a heavily leaf covered shoulder, check the surface under your bike before you stand it up.  Seems we had slid right over the top of a completely obscured concrete lined culvert.  When we stood the bike up the front wheel promptly fell into the culvert (guess the leaves couldn’t support the weight; Duh!).  The front of the bike almost, almost fit perfectly.  If it hadn’t been for the front fender, the front fairings, the left side tip over protection and the left floor board it probably would have.  So even if it was rideable after the mishap, it wasn’t after the fall into the culvert.  

It has been a harrowing experience, but, could have been a lot worse and I can’t say enough good things about the kindness of all the people who stopped to help, the professionalism of the EMS, the Law Enforcement Officers, and even a couple of Park Rangers who responded to the scene.  Special thanks should go to Officer Beard of the California Highway Patrol.  He waited with me for the tow truck, helped load it and tie it down on the truck, helped me unload all of my belongings from the bike to his car, and gave me a free ride to the hospital to meet Carmen.

The worst part has been dealing with the insurance company.  They seem to be coming around, but, I’m skeptical about Progressive since it took them a week to do anything and that not until I nagged the Claims Rep repeatedly.  The Arlen Ness shop in the Bay area even refused to repair the bike because of past experience with Progressive, so, the bike is at Scuderia West in San Francisco.  If all goes well, and they can get all the parts, I may have my bike back in 3 weeks or so.   We’re having great riding weather in Washington and I really miss our Vision.  It’s a great sign that Carmen seems to miss it even more.

Sorry this post is so long but I wanted to finally come clean and share my tale of woe.  We survived and I think I learned a lot.  See ya on the road soon.  Wayne
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cw1115
Posted 2008-07-11 8:36 PM (#13374 - in reply to #13373)
Subject: Re: Wounded pride, deflated ego, coming clean.

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. The bright side is that you will both be able to ride again. I am a professional FF/EMT in Florida and hate getting dispatched to motorcycle crashes. Most have worse outcomes. Please keep us updated on your dealing with the insurance company. I also have Progressive for my car and bike. I'll start looking a little closer at the insurance offers I get in the mail if Progressive dosen't do right by you.
tom
Posted 2008-07-11 9:39 PM (#13380 - in reply to #13373)

Cruiser

get state farm its the very best
visionbob
Posted 2008-07-11 10:46 PM (#13384 - in reply to #13373)
Subject: RE: Wounded pride, deflated ego, coming clean.

Cruiser

Cumming, GA
I am glad you were not seriously hurt and that your wife is willing to get back on the bike.

I too had a little accident in the rush hour traffic of Dallas when I took my eyes off the road for a split second and had someone stop in front of me. I managed to get stopped, but dropped the bike and put some dirt on their bumper.

Since I went down, she called 911 and the cops before I could tell her that I was ok.

My insurance company got involved because of the slight damage to her bumper and I must say that they called me immediately and settled with her in a timely manner without any hassle. My insurance is Foremost, which is part of the AARP program.

Best of luck with the bike.
GAgirlTrixie
Posted 2008-07-11 10:53 PM (#13386 - in reply to #13373)

Tourer

Savannah, GA -Year round riding!! Yay!

I am so sorry to hear of your accident. You and Carmen are in my thoughts and prayers for a full, speedy recovery.

My hubby & I used to have Progressive. After being in an accident (hit by another rider, who also had Progressive), and fighting with them for over 8 weeks before they finally let my bike get repaired, we cancelled and went with Foremost. Haven't had to use their claim service yet *knock wood*, but they dispatched a locksmith within 20 mins. after my hubby lost his keys to his Gold Wing at Daytona Speedway, after he had been arguing with Honda's road side service for over 2 hours. (They didn't think that key could be made except at the dealer, and this was after a race... he would have to wait until Monday morning)

Teach
Posted 2008-07-11 11:16 PM (#13387 - in reply to #13373)

Visionary

Everyone makes miscalculations and sometimes we get bit. I'm glad to hear you and the Mrs are on the mend.

I've been on another forum for a very long time and members often times respond to questions regarding insurance quotes with a recommendation to check out Progressive. Yep they are generally very reasonable on insurance costs, will insure even brand new riders, and are a well known company. However.... I've been riding a VERY long time and if I have learned one thing about bike insurance, you don't want Progressive as your carrier. It is a fight almost every time for you and the dealer making repairs. In addition they cut corners or tell the dealers to cut corners. So bottom line is I wouldn't recommend them to insure my boots.
This said you watch them very close and make sure the dealer making repairs runs all repairs by you regardless of what Progressive has to say.
Again glad you are both doing better...... T
victory rider
Posted 2008-07-11 11:32 PM (#13388 - in reply to #13387)

Puddle Jumper

I for one would indorse Progressive. After my accident in June 2007 Progressive rep in Owens boro
KY. handled my claim quickly and fairly. Got in the accident Saturday morning and had my check for the bike by Friday the next week.Only regret was that I wasn't carring enough medical Insurance on my bike policy. Have since changed that part on my policy. Like I said I like progressive but could just be the agent your dealing with. Just my two cents
Banjo
Posted 2008-07-12 8:59 AM (#13399 - in reply to #13373)

Tourer

Ive had some issues with Arlen Ness shop. Here is thier warranty policy....you buy the defective part and pay them to install it..then they take the old part and let polaris determine if its defective, if it is, great you get a refund if not you just payed for a part which should be covered under warranty.......... What a Bullshit policy
varyder
Posted 2008-07-12 5:02 PM (#13417 - in reply to #13399)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Glad to hear you all are okay and wanting to ride again. May you all have many, many more happy (s)miles.
chitowntom03
Posted 2008-07-12 10:42 PM (#13426 - in reply to #13373)

Cruiser

GOD BLESS THE INN KEEPERS AND YOU ARE IN OUR THOUGHTS
Breaker
Posted 2008-07-13 1:11 AM (#13431 - in reply to #13373)

Iron Butt

Western WA
Wayne,

I'm really sorry to hear about your accident, but I'm really glad to hear that the two of you weren't injured more seriously.

You two take care. We're wishing you a speedy recovery.
badnvegas
Posted 2008-07-13 2:40 AM (#13435 - in reply to #13373)

Cruiser

Colorado
Wayne
Thanks for the post, good to hear that everyone walked away. Keep us posted on how things mend.
Innkeepers
Posted 2008-07-13 10:25 PM (#13495 - in reply to #13435)

Cruiser

Puyallup, Washington

Thank-you, everyone, for the well wishes and words of encouragement.  Carmen and I are mending very well and the Vision is still on track for being ready for me to pick up on Aug1-2.  Wayne

cjnoho
Posted 2008-07-14 12:54 AM (#13516 - in reply to #13373)

Visionary

So Cal
Glad to hear all are well. Bikes can be repaired/replaced, people cant. You need something, dont hesitate to ask. Good people in this world are hard to come by.
radioteacher
Posted 2008-07-14 3:11 AM (#13522 - in reply to #13373)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Wayne,

I am so glad that you and your wife are doing well. May you both have a speedy and complete recovery.
RedRider
Posted 2008-07-14 6:21 AM (#13527 - in reply to #13373)

Visionary

The important thing is that both of you are doing okay.
I have Progressive. They have been great when used on my truck once and I am close friends with the shop owner. No experience with Progressive with the bikes yet. Keeping my fingers crossed I never have to.

To a quick recovery for both of you.
SongFan
Posted 2008-07-14 7:44 AM (#13528 - in reply to #13373)

Visionary

Memphis

Wayne & Carmen,

There's not a rider on this forum who thinks it couldn't happen to them.  Thanks for coming clean.  It sucks but it's good for all of us.  Deer strikes, off-roading through a pile of sheetrock, laydowns and all of the other near misses posted here are great reminders to be prepared and ride within our limits. 

The bike is so fun and just begs to be pushed.  It makes me stupid on a regular basis.

Even Chuck Yeager had his share of bad days.  Hope you guys are flying again soon.

varyder
Posted 2008-07-14 8:50 AM (#13534 - in reply to #13528)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
SongFan - 2008-07-14 7:44 AM

Wayne & Carmen,

There's not a rider on this forum who thinks it couldn't happen to them.  Thanks for coming clean.  It sucks but it's good for all of us.  Deer strikes, off-roading through a pile of sheetrock, laydowns and all of the other near misses posted here are great reminders to be prepared and ride within our limits. 

The bike is so fun and just begs to be pushed.  It makes me stupid on a regular basis.

Even Chuck Yeager had his share of bad days.  Hope you guys are flying again soon.

I didn't think my riding was anything out of the ordinary, until.... me and the voice over my shoulder went riding Saturday, just a little piece mind you. When we got back to the house and got off the bike, she said, "I really got to think about riding with you again." I just looked at her and said, "What?". She then proceeded to tell me of the "chances" I took that I didn't take before and that I was getting to comfortable with this bike. I had to think long and hard on that because scarying thing is I don't recall one "chance" I took with her on the back. I am more mindful to how I ride now, because this bike is TOO EASY to ride. Thanks again Wayne and Carmen and continue to hope all is mended soon.

Edited by varyder 2008-07-14 8:52 AM
redtail79
Posted 2008-07-14 6:06 PM (#13562 - in reply to #13373)

Puddle Jumper

Deerfield, New Hampshire
Wayne & Carmen
Glad to hear you are all right. Hope you get your bike back soon.

I need to add my two cents on Progressive though. I had a little incident taking mine off a trailer on a trip to Virginia Beach in May. First never trust your 72 yr old father-inlaw to tighten the nut on the hitch ball! I went down hard on the right side and did about 2000.00 worth of damage. Three days later when I got back to New Hampshire I called Progressive and they met me at the dealer the next day. Looked the bike over and told the dealer to fix it right away. They couldn't have been more helpful and even when the dealer called them about some hidden damage they found on disassembly they said ok. I had my bike back in under two weeks. I've had Progressive for over five yrs now and have no complaints.

3600 miles and I love it more everyday!
TexasVision
Posted 2008-07-14 9:12 PM (#13570 - in reply to #13373)

Cruiser

Leander,Texas
Wayne& Carmen,
Glad to hear your ok and home your 2nd sweetheart (your bike) mends well also.Thanks for the confession I know we all think we are good riders but storys like this remind us were on a vehicle that has no seat belts and is super dangerous if you become too complacent or make a slight misjudgement. I really appreciate you remind me im vunerable to getting hurt if im not carefull. God Bless you both.

david.terry
Posted 2008-07-15 3:04 AM (#13598 - in reply to #13373)

Cruiser

Madison, AL
Any accident you can live to talk about is one you can live with. It is always painful to have a mishap and the worst part is if someone else gets hurt. The self blame and questioning can drive one insane. I'm relieved that you and the better half are ok. The physical wounds will heal and the bike can be repaired. Just don't beat yourself up to much mentally. Like others have stated in the post the bike rides like a dream and it is easy to get overconfident in its and your own capabilities. I know my accident served as a wakeup call for me. I haven't had an accident in over 20 years and was getting very complacent with safety in all the various aspects one could think of. My bike will be out of the shop at the end of the month and I have healed up for the most part. However, mentally I will be a different driver, not scared or timid but wiser and more aware. The first few weeks I beat myself up constantly on what I could have done differently. Now I realize I can't go back in time and change what happened but can only take steps to not repeat previous mistakes and if the unexpected does happen again to be better prepared.
pollolittle
Posted 2008-07-15 7:32 AM (#13601 - in reply to #13373)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Speedy recoup for all involved and more wind in the hair, or whatever you have. You get caught in a comprimising situation with some sheetrock and then it is never forgotten. Cheers to all for good and safe rides.
Code Blue
Posted 2008-07-21 4:05 AM (#13943 - in reply to #13373)

Puddle Jumper

That is sad, I hope your heath returns fully. Hope I get the chance to ride with y'all soon.