Utopia backrest must read
Teach
Posted 2008-07-09 1:23 PM (#13209)
Subject: Utopia backrest must read

Visionary

As some of you know the Utopia backrest is a great option for long rides on our Visions. What you may not be aware of is how great the customer service and commitment to providing their customers a quality product, Utopia and Bob really are.
I installed my Utopia rest just prior to going on a 4k ride and while it greatly improved the comfort it missed a small 1 1/2 to 2 inch area on my lower back. I'm a 70% DAV for lower back injury so back support is a big deal for me. No matter how I adjusted the rest I had the gap so in frustration and at a loss I emailed Bob at Utopia.
Bob explained that he had another rest they had tried for another member on this forum and asked if I would be willing to give the new fuller pan rest a try. I agreed and recieved the new rest within 3 days. Excited over the prospect I installed the pad and adjusted the height adjustment screws to lower the pad one set of holes. Perfect!
The new pad sit perfectly on the top of the drivers seat top leaving no gaps or space in the support of my entire lower and mid back. I emailed Bob immediately and I have yet to send him some pictures (which I promised would and will) of exactly how well this now fits. I'll get the pics out to him today.

However this post is really an "info you" post. First off it might help you in deciding on whether this product is worth the asking price, and it is. Secondly in this age of terrible customer support, it is refreshing and quite frankly worth shouting from the rooftop when you come across a company that takes pride in their product and cares about their customers.
Bob didn't HAVE to do anything. They had my money, they produced the product they advertised, and really were not obligated to do more, but they did. For this they deserve props and they have a customer for life in me. I can't say enough good about these folks, so hats off to Utopia.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TimS
Posted 2008-07-09 1:50 PM (#13211 - in reply to #13209)
Subject: RE: Utopia backrest must read

Iron Butt

Mine is on order for a July 21st ship date.  Can't wait to try it out.

Tim 

MangoMike
Posted 2008-07-09 2:57 PM (#13215 - in reply to #13209)
Subject: RE: Utopia backrest must read

Puddle Jumper

Tampa, FL
I had a Utopia on my Goldwing for years; it was fantastic. Without it my back would start hurting after an hour or so of riding. With it, I managed to complete and Iron Butt SaddleSore 1K with no problem, and a ride from Tampa to Montana, Idaho, and back, averaging 650 miles per day for 11 days, also with no back problems.

The Vision seat is much better than the GW, but I find my back starts to bother me after awhile, so I've ordered one for my Vision and it's due to ship July 29th.

As so many other have said, you won't be sorry.

Mike
Teach
Posted 2008-07-09 7:12 PM (#13242 - in reply to #13209)
Subject: Re: Utopia backrest must read

Visionary

Tim & Mike, according to Bob @ Utopia, he will be using the full pan in ALL new Vision backrests, so I'm sure you will both be very happy.
TimS
Posted 2008-07-09 7:16 PM (#13243 - in reply to #13242)

Iron Butt

That sounds great.  Just need to make sure it isn't too wide for the passenger.  I have seen some backrests are narrowed at the bottom to accomodate the passengers thighs.

Tim 

Teach
Posted 2008-07-09 7:18 PM (#13245 - in reply to #13209)

Visionary

Tim, that was my wifes initial concern when she first saw it. It isn't an issue she says
MangoMike
Posted 2008-07-09 7:57 PM (#13252 - in reply to #13245)

Puddle Jumper

Tampa, FL
Thanks Teach. I forwarded your review to Bob and he was very pleased with it. Showed it to all his employees. Glad to hear he has changed his design. The old design was great, I can't wait to see the new model.

Mike
ebayjoe
Posted 2008-07-09 9:52 PM (#13263 - in reply to #13209)

Cruiser

East Ohio
I had also asked Bob about getting the full pan option for my july 21st ship date, he said no problem and that he was having the 2nd one tested and that if it was perceived as being better, he would make all of them with the full pan, I also want to add that the 2 emails I sent were late night on weekend days, and both were answered within a half hour, can anyone get him an application for the victory production line?
space_cwboy
Posted 2008-07-09 10:08 PM (#13267 - in reply to #13209)

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
I was the first one to get the "optional" full pan backrest, and it provides much better upper low back support than their "original" backrest for the Vision. In e-mailing back & forth with Bob, he shared that if there were those of you on here that had puchased the "original" backrest, but thought you would prefer the new full pan backrest, to contact him. He said something about a "swap" capability, where you could send in your original backrest, and he would send the full pan backrest. He did not elabolate on the particulars, but said there would be some cost for shipping and the additional labor.

Bob and Utopia are a really great, up front, straight shooting bunch of folks. As stated earlier in this thread, their customer service is very impressive......no snake oil, slight of hand garbage, just honest folk putting out a quality product, and REALLY interested in having satisfied customers. I can personally HIGHLY recommend the backrest, the company, and the people there. If you want to be impressed in many ways, give them a call, and order a backrest. You will NOT be disappointed!!
VICTORYTCRIDER
Posted 2008-07-10 8:46 AM (#13284 - in reply to #13209)

Cruiser

Capitol Region of NH
I am having one installed this afternoon, I hope I get the new one. Sounds like that will be the one I get. The dealer that I went through just received it yesterday.
VICTORYTCRIDER
Posted 2008-07-10 2:27 PM (#13301 - in reply to #13209)

Cruiser

Capitol Region of NH
Just checked with the dealer I am using and the backrest did not come in as planned. Apparently the testers came back with some feedback and more changes are in the works. I was told it may be another week. I am ok with that if it makes it better.
Teach
Posted 2008-07-10 4:00 PM (#13306 - in reply to #13209)

Visionary

Those testers would be me and space cowboy, lol..... good to know you'll only be installing once.
golfer
Posted 2008-07-10 4:30 PM (#13309 - in reply to #13306)

Cruiser

Teach - 2008-07-10 4:00 PM

Those testers would be me and space cowboy, lol..... good to know you'll only be installing once.

I spoke with Bob today via email. I am sending my pad in to get it fixed. He didn't say anything about further changes...Do you currently have the end result pad or are there even more changes to be made? he did say it has been rare that passengers have had problems contacting the pad wiht their thighs. My gf is 5' 7" and about 130 lbs. She is ok as long as I have the pad forward, but if I adjust it to try to be comfortable myself, it hits her in the thighs. She is relatively small. Bob said the new pad design will not help her with that, but will help me with comfort on the lower back. If you have had both pads, is it way better than the original? I am hoping with fingers crossed.
space_cwboy
Posted 2008-07-10 7:00 PM (#13321 - in reply to #13209)

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
VERY noticeably better, but keep in mind that I have had two back surgeries in the past year, so my back cannot be considered "normal". The original pad is very nice, don't get me wrong, but the upper lumbar region, and the very lowest thoracic area receive greatly improved support with the new "full pan". The mid/lower lumbar region is covered by the existing Vision seats' scoop out region, and no backrest will make any changes there.

I understand about backrest interference with the passenger. There should be little or no difference in passenger interference between the original and the full pan backrest types. The overall dimensions are identical. The only difference is in the internal stiff pan...The new type has a full pan, while the original's pan covers the entire region of the upper 2/3-3/4 of the backrest (fully left to right), but there is only foam and cover for the lowest 1/4-1/3 of the backrest. It is that lower 1/4-1/3 of the backrest where you will feel the difference with the newer style "full pan" design.

When you get the backrest installed, very slightly tighten the bolt which holds the backrest to the "stem", causing a bit of resistance in the up/down tilt of the backrest. I have found that this slight additional resistance provides me with more back support. Do not confuse this with the adjustment screw at the bottom of the stem that sets the front/back position of the backrest. Everyone's back is a little different, and mine is more sensitive than most, but I am a two thumbs up proponent of this backrest. I'm a happy camper!!
VICTORYTCRIDER
Posted 2008-07-10 8:13 PM (#13327 - in reply to #13209)

Cruiser

Capitol Region of NH
Glad to hear all of this. I have been waiting for about a month and a half now for it to arrive and am anxiously awaiting its arrival and installation.

Edited by VICTORYTCRIDER 2008-07-10 8:13 PM