Chrome Fork Rebate, Dealer wants to keep parts removed
radioteacher
Posted 2008-07-07 1:43 AM (#13006)
Subject: Chrome Fork Rebate, Dealer wants to keep parts removed

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
I am starting to worry about my dealer.

I bought local because I want to support my local shop. I priced the bike in other cities but in the end, I bought the bike from a shop about four miles from my house.

During my negotiations I mentioned the rebate on the chrome forks. The sales person told me it no longer applies. It only applied to those that pre-ordered their Visions. Is this true nationwide or just at my dealer?

Did anyone, who did not preorder their Premium Vision, receive a $250 chrome fork rebate from Polaris?

I bought most of the chrome and the Stage 1 Level 2 exhaust for my Vision. I remembered to tell the dealer that I wanted the original exhaust system but kept forgetting to tell them I had plans for the parts removed when the chrome was installed. I was just too gaga over the beautiful new Vision to think straight.

I picked up the bike late on Thursday July 3, 2008 just before closing. I went back on Saturday at 10 AM (the next business day) and told the sales person that I wanted the rest of my parts. I was then told that they were keeping the parts as part of the deal. Next I was told that, they would keep them if I ever had damage to my bike. Finally, I was told that is why I received a discount for the labor to install the parts. (Yea, I paid for some labor to install the chrome. Remember I am trying to support my local shop)

I informed the sales person that this was never stated to me verbally nor written in any of the paperwork. I followed with "I want all of the parts removed from the Vision I purchased". They said they needed to talk with someone that was out of the shop.

They are my parts; ownership was never transferred, so what is there to talk about?

When they open Tuesday morning I will drop by and get my parts. I hope that I do not have to take this to the next level but I am fully prepared to see this through to the end. Even if this action costs me more then the parts, I will get them back.

They still have to install my CB/Intercom and replace two pieces of Chrome that were installed on the Vision damaged. I found the damage the next morning in my driveway. Happy July 4th!

When I mentioned the damaged chrome, I asked the sales person if they wanted to see the damage. They said that it would not be necessary it will be replaced. Strange, you would think they would want to check it out for themselves.

The last thing I want is friction with my local shop but who knows how this will work out on Tuesday.

Are things like this common with dealers?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
RedRider
Posted 2008-07-07 6:15 AM (#13009 - in reply to #13006)
Subject: Re: Chrome Fork Rebate, Dealer wants to keep parts removed

Visionary

Do a search here. I believe you will find a thread that explains only the preorders get the rebate on the forks. How do you get a rebate if you did not pay for it?
In CT, if it's not in writing you don't have anything. Most shops I know keep the removed parts (except on repairs).
cw1115
Posted 2008-07-07 6:24 AM (#13010 - in reply to #13006)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I had my L1/S1 with gatlin tip done a couple of weeks after I got the bike. I TOLD them my wife would be by to pick up the orig. parts in the next couple of days on her way to work. They even gave her the old air filter back. (Very surprised to see how small it is.) I agree that if aftermarket/options are added after the deal is made for the motorcycle, they are still yours.

Edited by cw1115 2008-07-07 6:25 AM
Indiana RoadRunner
Posted 2008-07-07 7:20 AM (#13013 - in reply to #13006)
Subject: RE: Chrome Fork Rebate, Dealer wants to keep parts removed

Tourer

Dale, Indiana
I had a lot of chrome parts added to my bike.
Most were part of the deal thus no labor when the chrome showed up.

The chrome that I added later as it came available from Victory I paid the labor.

I got all my old parts back. They asked if I wanted them or not since the parts were mine. They didn't want them anyway since it would just get in their way.

I guess sooner or later someone will damage parts of their bike and the parts could be 'sold' by a dealer. More then likely that's why some dealers may keep them as stock.

As for as the chrome fork rebate.
Those folks ‘paid extra' for the chrome fork when they ordered their bikes. Since there was some kind of problem getting the chrome folks Victory rebated the money back.

Rebel
Posted 2008-07-07 9:16 AM (#13018 - in reply to #13009)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI

I believe you will find a thread that explains only the preorders get the rebate on the forks. How do you get a rebate if you did not pay for it?

Chrome forks were part of the original Premium package. Since Victory dropped the chrome forks because of quality issues, they offered those that purchased early a $250 rebate. Seeing as how they didn't lower the price of the Premium bikes, technically you are paying for something that you don't receive. However, to answer the original question, I did not receive the rebate for the Premium that I recently purchased. I asked about it, but it was no longer offered.

In CT, if it's not in writing you don't have anything. Most shops I know keep the removed parts (except on repairs).
"If it's not in writing..." swings both ways. If they don't have it in writing that part of the deal is that they get to keep your stock parts, then they are still your parts. My partner bought a Sportster from the local HD dealer here and had a bunch of upgrades done to it before he ever picked it up. They tried to pull the same game on him with the old parts, which he definitely wanted to keep. Luckily, one of the benefits of our job is free legal service. A quick call to the lawyer and quick call from him to the HD dealer and my buddy got to pick up his parts, all nicely boxed and ready to go.

I'd be willing to bet, radioteacher, that if you pressed the issue, or sought legal counsel if need be, that you would get your parts back.
radioteacher
Posted 2008-07-07 10:10 AM (#13021 - in reply to #13006)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Everyone,

Thanks for information on the Pre-Order Chrome Fork Rebate. It is nice to know that the sales person was dealing with me in good faith on this issue.

As you guys and gals can tell from my posting time on this issue, I was loosing some sleep over this. Things start going through your head questioning every aspect of the purchase when this sort of stuff happens.

I was shocked and surprised that "who owns the parts" was even a question. I see from the replies that different dealerships have different policies on parts removed.

Regardless of what other dealerships do with the parts, it was never written down that they were keeping the parts removed. I will do my best to press my case on the speedy return of the parts removed.

Rebel, If not satisfied, I will turn over all of the paperwork I have to my families' lawyer and let him take care of the issue. What a mess that would be. I am sure that the dealership will not be pleased with me if it comes to a legal mess. If they were keeping the parts they should have told me or had it in writing.

On a happier note, check out the Gallery for pictures from my ride on Saturday. The Vision is a great motorcycle!
TimS
Posted 2008-07-07 10:59 AM (#13024 - in reply to #13006)

Iron Butt

I received the $250 rebate in a form of an accessory gift card.  I put my deposit down in March of 2007 and recevied my Vision after Thanksgiving in 2007.  The $250 was for pre-orders only.

I have been able to retain all of my parts that were installed by my dealer (including repair parts).  I have bought and installed a few parts myself.  The dealer had a sign in the shop that said "all parts had to be picked up within N days" which was reasonable to keep they shop from becoming a used parts warehouse.  This included body panels and exhaust pipes.

HTH,

Tim 

Rebel
Posted 2008-07-07 3:07 PM (#13042 - in reply to #13021)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
radioteacher - 2008-07-07 10:10 AM

Rebel, If not satisfied, I will turn over all of the paperwork I have to my families' lawyer and let him take care of the issue. What a mess that would be. I am sure that the dealership will not be pleased with me if it comes to a legal mess. If they were keeping the parts they should have told me or had it in writing.

RT, it has been my experience in life that there are a fair number of companies that will try to screw you because of a) ignorance on their part or b) they think they can pull a fast one on you, or c) they figure it won't be worth your while to get a lawyer to make them do what's right. Luckily, my legal benefit has been used more than once to make the companies that fall into categories B and C do the right thing without any cost to me.

I'm sure you'll get this worked out and I'm glad you're enjoying your new bike!
Big Vic
Posted 2008-07-12 10:38 AM (#13404 - in reply to #13006)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
RT
As far as the forks go..........I never pre-ordered my bike (bought in December) and got a $250 discount for no chrome forks. Sounds like different dealers are doing things differently. My guess some are pocketing the $250 that they are getting from Polaris rather than passing it on to the customer.
As far as the stock parts are concerned...........I can't believe what I read. Why would any dealer have rights to YOUR parts? If you bought the parts and put them on yourself did he expect you to bring the parts you took off back to the dealer? Did the aftermarket parts have 2 prices? One with a core charge and one without? Hell no they didn't! You already own your parts and you bought another set. Both sets belong to you! I would have a conversation with the owner to let him know that if he ever tries to pull a fast one on you again you will take your business to another dealer and promptly report him to Victory. Sheeesh, the balls some people have..........
radioteacher
Posted 2008-07-13 12:35 AM (#13430 - in reply to #13006)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
I picked the parts up last Thursday (7-10-2008) from the dealer.
Indiana RoadRunner
Posted 2008-07-13 10:34 AM (#13449 - in reply to #13404)

Tourer

Dale, Indiana
Big Vic - 2008-07-12 9:38 AM

RT
As far as the forks go..........I never pre-ordered my bike (bought in December) and got a $250 discount for no chrome forks. Sounds like different dealers are doing things differently. My guess some are pocketing the $250 that they are getting from Polaris rather than passing it on to the customer.

Kinda hard to get the rebate from the dealer when the checks were sent to the bike owner from Victory.

I got a rebate too!
Actually, any dealer can call it anything.

It's called giving out a good deal around here.

Rebel
Posted 2008-07-13 10:47 AM (#13452 - in reply to #13430)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
radioteacher - 2008-07-13 12:35 AM

I picked the parts up last Thursday (7-10-2008) from the dealer.

Good deal, radioteacher! Glad it all worked out for you.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-07-14 1:06 AM (#13518 - in reply to #13006)

Visionary

So Cal
They say that the $250 credit was for pre orders, but the MSRP hasnt changed. I think Big Vic hit it right, depends on the dealer and what they can get away with. I got the credit when I bought my Vision and the dealer sent me another credit later (good only at that dealer) paid for my 2.5k service.
Smitty
Posted 2008-07-14 12:00 PM (#13540 - in reply to #13006)

Cruiser

Radio, while I ride a Kingpin, my dealer always returns my parts.

On occasion, he's even offered to buy different pieces that he might need to fix a wrecked Victory.

Print this out and take it to your local dealer....it's the way business should be done and your local guy is only in it for the bucks.

Oh, and about the Victory Vision....with all the negatives about radio's, heat, dimples, etc., on this forum about the Vision, I'm now leaning toward a BMW or Gold Wing, or simply waiting until the new Visions come out to see if the Snowmobile Company has listened to the riders.

And, the very slow sales of this new model has me concerned that it may not be a smart financial move...especially in light of the fact that my MV is now a Harley.
SongFan
Posted 2008-07-14 12:17 PM (#13541 - in reply to #13006)

Visionary

Memphis

Smitty,

BMW or Goldwing is a safe no-brainer. 

Until you pull up somewhere on a Vision and watch heads turn in unison or get chased down in traffic by perfect strangers, you will never understand why it has been worth it.  I get my picture taken on a cellphone nearly every day.  A bike with no issues would be nice but this goes waaay beyond that.

proffsionl
Posted 2008-07-14 1:40 PM (#13543 - in reply to #13006)

Puddle Jumper

Austin, Texas
I'm not a Vision owner, but I will say there is no such thing as a bike with no issues. I have owned a BMW LT and the Wing, and I can list the issues as follows:

2000 BMW LT - insufficient lighting (bordering on unsafe, still not fixed on the new models), too high COG, quirky electronics (this has been improved).

2003 Gold Wing - frame issues, frame issues (had to have the frame welded/modified on two different recalls), electronics issues (signal bleeding from cruise control into radio), not so great wind management, front wheel wobble (they tried to claim it was a tire issue, but never went away with new tires), poor fit and finish.

I now have a 2006 Yamaha FJR-1300. Nice bike, but has surging throttle from stop, poor wind management, overall, not comfortable for longer rides.

Now I find myself looking at the Vision (and its issues) with an understanding that like any other vehicle/toy (be it a car, RV or boat), there are a lot of disparate systems that all need to work together, but will not in some instances. Add to that the specter of a first year production model, then you will have issues.

I still have to convince my DW that the Vision is the way to go (she doesn't want to buy another bike, but does like the look of the Vision). I think I just need to get her over to the dealer to sit on it (she is not comfortable on the FJR).

Anyway, I go into these types of purchases knowing that I likely will have issues (that's what warranties are for) and that it's the dealer, in the end, that makes the difference. Get a bad dealer, then issues are REALLY issues.

Hmmm...not bad for my first post, eh?

Kevin
Austin, Texas
radioteacher
Posted 2008-07-14 4:13 PM (#13556 - in reply to #13006)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Kevin,

Great First Post!

Smitty,

When it comes to the Vision: I would do it all again. The bike fits me and my style of riding like no other. No other bike has felt this comfortable from day one. After my short time with the bike, 11 days and 425 miles we are like old friends. I have to make an excuse just to drive my Trailblazer. The Vision is a much better bike then I am a pilot and it is teaching me every day. Because of my short legs my options in cruisers are limited. Every Victory has a seat height of 26.5 inches except the Vegas Low which is 25.2 inches consequently I can ride them all. HD has only three bikes in their vast line that fit me without modification.

If the Vision was a custom one of a kind bike, it would not bother me for a minute that I had the only one.

At lunch today, I parked it where I could keep an eye on it. Five people walked a complete circle around the Vision just looking at it. One pair was out there in the South Texas heat for over for 5 minutes examining it. The HD Fat Boy four slots down the parking lot from the Vision got a couple of glances. But, no one bothered to walk towards the Fat Boy.

The radio: as soon as I get the chance I will find out why it is deaf and fix it myself. I am not called RadioTeacher for nothing. The fix I use will be posted right here on Vision-Riders.com first. My bag does not have a dimple.

Finally, about the heat. First, I never ride in shorts. (I am not fond of 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my right leg nor road rash) Second, adjust the stock upper wind deflectors for best heat relief. Third, buy highway pegs and use them. Fourth, buy the lower wind deflectors. A demo bike I tried had them and they are great. I plan to get them for my bike very soon.

I rode this past weekend in 95 degree heat in faded black jeans. The sun beating down on my quadriceps was hotter on my legs then the heat from the engine at stop lights.

The Vision is not for everyone but it is perfect for me. I recommend that everyone buy the best bike they can that fits them in every way. Only you know what that bike is going to look like and ride like.

I wave and wave back at every rider I see, from Vespa's to Boss Hog's, because I believe that each one of them is just as proud of the machine that they ride as I am with my Vision.
Smitty
Posted 2008-07-14 4:40 PM (#13558 - in reply to #13541)
Subject: Songfan...

Cruiser

SongFan - 2008-07-14 12:17 PM

Smitty,

BMW or Goldwing is a safe no-brainer. 

Until you pull up somewhere on a Vision and watch heads turn in unison or get chased down in traffic by perfect strangers, you will never understand why it has been worth it.  I get my picture taken on a cellphone nearly every day.  A bike with no issues would be nice but this goes waaay beyond that.

I do understand about turning heads...I own an MV Agusta that draws a crowd where ever I park it. Fun bike, and yes it too has a few problems. And my Kingpin when parked in a crowd of Harley's stands out like a sore thumb at a banjo pickin' contest. Lots of billet, lots of chrome, lots of aftermarket stuff....and that oh so spectacular purple from '04 that is such a rare color...I've never seen another one.

I was convinced the Vision was the way to go until I read all of the negatives here and realized that there were so few sales and so many left unsold, still on dealer showrooms. My dealer has sold three and still has three left.
Smitty
Posted 2008-07-14 4:48 PM (#13559 - in reply to #13556)
Subject: Radio, what you say is what drew me to the Vision...

Cruiser

radioteacher - 2008-07-14 4:13 PM

Kevin,

Great First Post!

Smitty,

When it comes to the Vision: I would do it all again. The bike fits me and my style of riding like no other. No other bike has felt this comfortable from day one. After my short time with the bike, 11 days and 425 miles we are like old friends. I have to make an excuse just to drive my Trailblazer. The Vision is a much better bike then I am a pilot and it is teaching me every day. Because of my short legs my options in cruisers are limited. Every Victory has a seat height of 26.5 inches except the Vegas Low which is 25.2 inches consequently I can ride them all. HD has only three bikes in their vast line that fit me without modification.

If the Vision was a custom one of a kind bike, it would not bother me for a minute that I had the only one.

At lunch today, I parked it where I could keep an eye on it. Five people walked a complete circle around the Vision just looking at it. One pair was out there in the South Texas heat for over for 5 minutes examining it. The HD Fat Boy four slots down the parking lot from the Vision got a couple of glances. But, no one bothered to walk towards the Fat Boy.

The radio: as soon as I get the chance I will find out why it is deaf and fix it myself. I am not called RadioTeacher for nothing. The fix I use will be posted right here on Vision-Riders.com first. My bag does not have a dimple.

Finally, about the heat. First, I never ride in shorts. (I am not fond of 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my right leg nor road rash) Second, adjust the stock upper wind deflectors for best heat relief. Third, buy highway pegs and use them. Fourth, buy the lower wind deflectors. A demo bike I tried had them and they are great. I plan to get them for my bike very soon.

I rode this past weekend in 95 degree heat in faded black jeans. The sun beating down on my quadriceps was hotter on my legs then the heat from the engine at stop lights.

The Vision is not for everyone but it is perfect for me. I recommend that everyone buy the best bike they can that fits them in every way. Only you know what that bike is going to look like and ride like.

I wave and wave back at every rider I see, from Vespa's to Boss Hog's, because I believe that each one of them is just as proud of the machine that they ride as I am with my Vision.

First of all, I have a great dealer in Monster Motors in Ft. Wayne who has given me great service on the Kingpin. Secondly, when I rode the Vision for an hour the weather was about 80 degrees in town and I had no heat issues...but at 80 you shouldn't.

The wife sat on the Ultra, the Triumph Tour, the BMW R1200, the Vision, and the Gold Wing and she rated the passenger accomodations in the following order: Triumph, Vision, Gold Wing, Ultra, and BMW. She says the seating and backrest on the Vision is great but she has an easier time getting on the Triumph. But with those three pipes coming out of the Triumph motor, and being liquid cooled I can see a heat issue with it too. Personally, I really like the handling and the ride of the Vision but I don't want to be in a dealer getting things fixed all of the time either.

Maybe I'd be better off waiting for the 09's to come out.
radioteacher
Posted 2008-07-14 6:30 PM (#13563 - in reply to #13006)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Smitty,

The Victory 2009 announcement should be in just a few weeks. I also involved my wife at every stage of the process.

This weekend was the wife's first short ride on the Vision. One thing we found out is that she requires some extra support to her lower back for bumps. I am going to cut her different shaped foam wedges until I find one that supports her correctly in that area and make a cloth cover for it.

Let us know what you choose and ride safe.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-07-14 10:29 PM (#13582 - in reply to #13563)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Hey smitty, I also had a Kingpin, it was a deluxe. Rode it over 33000 miles in three years. I now have a Vision, ride it in Houston heat, no problem, I do wear pants, some people don't. Radio no problem, works all the time every day. I-Pod was an issue, got that figured out. Wife ride 70% of the miles, she actually told me to buy the bike.......because the Kingpin is so crappy for the passenger. It gets 40+ miles to the gallon, pulls 110 mph in 5th gear, before shifting to 6th, can out run all of my 07 HD friends, and keeps my GW buddy honest on roll ons. People take pictures of my bike going down the highway and give met he thumbs up. Kids look out the rear windows of minivans and just grin........this is an awsome bike. I wouldn't ride my old Kingpin across the street if I had a choice. You hear alot about the LITTLE issues of this motorcycle because, we can complain and it is easy......we are all listening. But when it gets down to it, there are some folks on this site that are pushing 20K on this bike in around 9 months of ownership and they aren't complaining. You want a good motorcycle, buy the BMW, GW, HD, or whatever. If you want a special motorcycle that does everything that they do and be special, then the Vision is for you. But that is up to you and it sounds like, your leaning the other way.......so that just leaves one for someone else to buy. Oh, and where did you hear they are not selling, I'm just curious at that statement. Good luck in you choice of rides.
Smitty
Posted 2008-07-15 6:41 PM (#13624 - in reply to #13582)

Cruiser

VisionTex - 2008-07-14 10:29 PM

Oh, and where did you hear they are not selling, I'm just curious at that statement. Good luck in you choice of rides.

I've read more than one post on here where riders talk about how their dealers still have more on the floor than they've sold. And as stated, the same exists at my Vic dealer.

The Vision is a bike you either love or hate and it has no middle ground. It's ugly or it's a great looking bike.

And this is the hardest decision I've ever made when buying a bike....I usually make my mind up in a matter of minutes. I've been mulling this over for at least 60-70 days.
Spock
Posted 2008-07-15 7:24 PM (#13626 - in reply to #13558)
Subject: RE: Songfan...

Tourer

Carrollton, TX
Smitty - 2008-07-14 3:40 PM

I was convinced the Vision was the way to go until I read all of the negatives here and realized that there were so few sales and so many left unsold, still on dealer showrooms. My dealer has sold three and still has three left.

There are a lot more positives than negatives on the Vision and a lot more positives compared with the other touring bikes on the market. I have had my Vision for four months now and have 11,100 miles on it and not one problem at all, not one! My friend Kevin bought a Vision the same time I did and he has not had a single problem with his and I know many more owners that have had no problems. Many of the issues mentioned are small and easily fixed by a good dealer.

This is the best bike I have ever ridden or owned and you couldn't pull it from my cold dead hands.

As for the sales of the Vision they have been strong. Victory upped their planned production on the Vision's back in the November time frame and many dealers have sold out and gotten more Vision's from other dealers that hadn't sold all of theirs yet for one reason or another. Good dealers have no problem selling the Vision. I know Arlen Ness and Arizona Victory for two have sold a boat load of Vision's.

Even the person who has had the most amount of issues with a Vision probably wouldn't part with it. Like many have stated in other posts there is not a product on the market today that you can't find some with lots of issues, that’s life. Sh?t happens and good dealers find a way to make you whole.

The bottom line is if you don't want to buy one or can't afford it now any excuse will do. After all you have a Kingpin and it is a great bike but I do think you would love the Vision.

Lifeisgood
Posted 2008-07-15 7:42 PM (#13627 - in reply to #13006)

Cruiser

Victoria, BC
Smitty,

I was also looking at a BMW, the R1200RT. The price of them has come down quite a bit in Canada over the last year, so much so, that a fully loaded one is the same price as a Vision Tour Premium. I have ridden one before and enjoyed it, however my Wife was not impressed with the back seat.

I had heard some very disturbing news about BMW's breaking down during the Iron Butt rides - mostly having to do with final drives failing - causing oil to leak all over the rear brakes & tires. The local BMW dealer assured me that their bikes were very well made & if something did break, BMW would have the bike towed & fixed. Well that's great, but who wants to sit their holidays out in some motel far from home while their bike is being repaired. I'd rather be riding, thank you!

So I did some research and found this little tidbit on the Internet.

http://bmwfinaldrive.com/fd_failure_list.php

Now I definitely know that I'll never buy a BMW. BMW will not admit they have a problem with the final drives (that's been around for quite awhile). Besides their maintenance costs are much, much higher than a Vision. I asked the BMW dealer how much they charged for each scheduled maintenance visit - it flat blew me away! With the Vision, maintenance is way less money - money that I can put into traveling more.

You have a good bike now, so you don't have to make a hasty decision. What's the hurry? The '09's will be out in a couple of months, and there's always next year.

I think that history will show the Vision to be an outstanding & very reliable touring bike.

Cheers,
Reg

Big Vic
Posted 2008-07-15 8:30 PM (#13631 - in reply to #13006)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
Smitty
Keep in mind we bitch because we can. Most people don't post everytime everything is perfect or goes as planned. I had a few issues with my Vision and they have ALL been resolved. I have had 5 Victory's and feel the ownership experience is better than anything out there. If you visit other sites you will find people who ride ALL makes complain about their problems. That's the way people are..........we are always more interested in the bad than the good. If you need proof, just watch the news.
Spock
Posted 2008-07-16 9:23 AM (#13647 - in reply to #13627)

Tourer

Carrollton, TX

Lifeisgood - 2008-07-15 6:42 PM Smitty, I was also looking at a BMW, the R1200RT. The price of them has come down quite a bit in Canada over the last year, so much so, that a fully loaded one is the same price as a Vision Tour Premium. I have ridden one before and enjoyed it, however my Wife was not impressed with the back seat. I had heard some very disturbing news about BMW's breaking down during the Iron Butt rides - mostly having to do with final drives failing - causing oil to leak all over the rear brakes & tires. The local BMW dealer assured me that their bikes were very well made & if something did break, BMW would have the bike towed & fixed. Well that's great, but who wants to sit their holidays out in some motel far from home while their bike is being repaired. I'd rather be riding, thank you! So I did some research and found this little tidbit on the Internet. http://bmwfinaldrive.com/fd_failure_list.php Now I definitely know that I'll never buy a BMW. BMW will not admit they have a problem with the final drives (that's been around for quite awhile). Besides their maintenance costs are much, much higher than a Vision. I asked the BMW dealer how much they charged for each scheduled maintenance visit - it flat blew me away! With the Vision, maintenance is way less money - money that I can put into traveling more. You have a good bike now, so you don't have to make a hasty decision. What's the hurry? The '09's will be out in a couple of months, and there's always next year. I think that history will show the Vision to be an outstanding & very reliable touring bike. Cheers, Reg

This is very interesting. I had heard of this problem but never knew it was this big. BMW has had this problem since 1997 and still haven't fixed it and this issue could cause a major accident. Victory has never had a persistent issue like this in their history.

I have had friends that bought BMW's mostly because they owned BMW autos and like them but they all complained about the super high cost of ownership on the BMW bikes.

I have ridden several of the BMW bikes including the K1200LT and there is no way I could be comfortable in that seating position for any length of time. I don't sit in that position at my desk, at the table or anywhere so why should I sit in that position riding a bike.