excessive heat
tom
Posted 2008-07-04 11:12 AM (#12866)
Subject: excessive heat

Cruiser

AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT IS GETTING FRIED ON THE RIGHT LEG AND CROTCH.WHAT EXHAUST WILL ALLOW MORE FREE FLOW OUT THE BACK ? TNX, TOM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-07-04 11:30 AM (#12867 - in reply to #12866)
Subject: Re: excessive heat

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
im sorry i cant be of more help. But this past weekend there was a ralley and Victory was there. On all of their Visions they had these wind deflectors installed on the sides of the fairings. (mid section) it forces air to blow on the engine and makes for a cooler ride. Also i have read where 10w40 cools better than 20w50 oil. But i doubt it is anything that you can feel by using a w40 weight oil. I bet them wind deflectors you would feel a difference though!
maddog
Posted 2008-07-04 12:10 PM (#12870 - in reply to #12866)

Cruiser

Nebraska
The heat really bothers me when stuck in traffic. Or moving slow in town. I don't think them wind deflectors would help much for that.
RotnRat
Posted 2008-07-04 9:13 PM (#12899 - in reply to #12866)
Subject: RE: excessive heat

Cruiser

South of Houston Tx
Boots & Long Pants works for me
Spock
Posted 2008-07-05 1:34 AM (#12903 - in reply to #12899)

Tourer

Carrollton, TX
I find what helps the best in stop and go traffic are the highway pegs. Being able to move your feet a little further away from the engine and pipes makes a big difference. Full boots and long heavy pants are a must also.
Banjo
Posted 2008-07-05 3:44 AM (#12904 - in reply to #12866)

Tourer

you want excessive heat? try riding a Street Glide with a Twin Cam 96 engine
1atom12
Posted 2008-07-05 8:47 AM (#12907 - in reply to #12866)

Tourer

Atlanta Area
This is a concern of mine as well. I currently ride an 07 Ultra and am about to make the switch to the Vision, however, I don't want to end up in the same boat as far as heat goes. My Ultra gets HOT! Even with the stage 1, power commander, etc.

How hot is a Vision compared to my Ultra? Will the Victory stage one help lower the operating temps of the bike?

Edited by 1atom12 2008-07-05 8:48 AM
ruttrow
Posted 2008-07-05 9:38 AM (#12908 - in reply to #12866)

Cruiser

Illinois
1atom,

I just sold an 06 Street Glide for the Vision. I also had the power commander, hi flow air cleaner assy, and a rhinehart 2 into 1. I did not notice as much heat after that install. My first ride on the Vision I bought, the heat was worse than the SG. However yesterday we went out for a couple of hours and while the heat was still there it did not seem as bad. I also noticed that vibration in 1st thru 4th gears seemed better than it was when I brought it home. Keep in mind my SG did not have the lowers that your Ultra has. That being said, IMO there is no comparison between the SG and Vision. The Vision is an all around better bike than my SG was. We were talking to some friends yesterday and they were shocked I switched from HD. I bought my first new HD in 1984 and have had a bunch of them since then. The Vision ( so far ) is better than them all.
Mike

1atom12
Posted 2008-07-05 9:49 AM (#12909 - in reply to #12866)

Tourer

Atlanta Area
I'm getting the same crap from all my friends and family. How can you possibly sell your HD and buy a Victory? For some reason the Vision is just calling to me, I can't explain it. I did demo a bone stock tour premium last week. I felt the heat a bit in stop and go traffic, but it was nothing compared to my Ultra. I only rode for about 20 minutes. I'm not sure if that was enough time to get the Vision all warmed up. The outside air temp was only in the mid 80's as well.
tom
Posted 2008-07-05 9:51 AM (#12910 - in reply to #12866)

Cruiser

thanks for your comments, i still have my road king, it gets hot at the crossover but thats one reason i went for the vision the dealer said it didnt put off as much heat but in hot weather its just as bad. what exhausts do you guys think would allow the freest flow out the back? tnx, tom
edradio
Posted 2008-07-05 10:12 AM (#12912 - in reply to #12866)

Cruiser

Las Vegas, Nevada USA baby!
Heat schmeat, I ride in Las Vegas and I don't let no heat on my legs or crotch or any part of my body bother me!
It's a mo'sickle for crying out loud, and what would you say to any bike that puts off heat, an Indian, a Harley, a Vincent, a Triumph blah blah blah, just ride and live with it, OR DON"T!
Waaaah, waaaah, boo hoooo!
I used to proudly own a '49 panhead Harley chopper that was a million and seventy five thousand and two hundered and sixty three point . six two nine degrees between my legs. As a Vision rider it ain't no big deal. Just do it and be proud!
space_cwboy
Posted 2008-07-05 10:26 AM (#12913 - in reply to #12866)

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
Ride where there are no traffic lights......get out of the city and enjoy the scenery. As long as you are not stuck in rush hour, bumper to bumper traffic, or a big city with ill timed traffic lights, no won't notice any heat. I stay away from city riding ass much as possible, and I'm no bar hopper, so the silly grin on my face makes me look like the Joker from Batman fame!!!
mkultra
Posted 2008-07-05 1:04 PM (#12920 - in reply to #12866)

Tourer

Tucson, AZ
I traded the 07 Ultra for the Vision and nite and day difference. The Ultra always went into heat mode. This happened at just a red light. I have not had a probllem one with my Vision....its the best bike ive ever ridden. I was on Harleys for 32 years and they will never get any of my business for anything. I did put the highway pegs on it definetly helps move the legs and feet away when you are not moving, or moving very slowly.

mike v
Mudge
Posted 2008-07-05 4:09 PM (#12923 - in reply to #12866)

Tourer

20 miles west of Chicago.
It occurs to me that nobody ( Except Lloyd Greer in his section on this site.) has yet mentioned that heavily lean running engines put out a lot of heat, which can be tempered by richening the fuel map.
tom
Posted 2008-07-05 4:44 PM (#12926 - in reply to #12866)

Cruiser

tnx mudge i will look into that when i change exhausts..if i can decide which exhaust is favored. tom
TexasVision
Posted 2008-07-06 7:32 PM (#12971 - in reply to #12866)

Cruiser

Leander,Texas
Being a new owner im not well versed in visions but my understanding is there is a metal oil filter now that increases oil flow in your engine and drops the engine heat 10 to 15 degrees and it a lifetime oil filter you never have to by another oil filter theres just a small part to take out clean with gas and replace. I will find out the specific name of it and get back with you.
bsquared62
Posted 2008-07-06 8:20 PM (#12973 - in reply to #12866)

Cruiser

Woodstock, GA
I have had an 06 Ultra, an 05 Road King, and an 03 Road King. I think the Vision is much hotter on the legs than any of the others (once you go to true duals). On the others, I could (I know it's not the safest thing to do) ride in shorts and not have a heat issue. I don't feel like I could do that on the Vision. That really is my primary complaint after owning mine for a mere 2 days, but I'd still say this bike ROCKS! I'll trade the shorts for this ride any day...
TexasVision
Posted 2008-07-06 9:54 PM (#12985 - in reply to #12971)

Cruiser

Leander,Texas
Heres the OIl filter i was talking about. LIfetime use and drops engine heat 10 15 degrees.

http://www.conquestcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID...
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2008-07-07 7:19 AM (#13011 - in reply to #12985)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
TexasVision - 2008-07-06 9:54 PM
Heres the OIl filter i was talking about. LIfetime use and drops engine heat 10 15 degrees.
http://www.conquestcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID...

That's the same oil filter that is available through Vision-Riders:
http://www.Vision-Riders.com/merch-lloydz.asp

Indiana RoadRunner
Posted 2008-07-07 7:32 AM (#13014 - in reply to #12866)

Tourer

Dale, Indiana
Hey JAM,
The twist lock.

I guess there's a base that twist on the bike, and then you twist lock the cover on?

How much does the replacement filter element cost?
Also, is that available through VR?

I hope I am understanding how it works, because I like the idea of it.

Spock
Posted 2008-07-07 9:56 AM (#13019 - in reply to #13014)

Tourer

Carrollton, TX

There was a post a while back on this filter where someone you had installed it and had an oil tempature gauge installed found it did not lower the oil tempature on the Vision as it does on some bikes. I think it depends on where the oil filter is placed on the engine and the amount of air flow it gets. Some bikes have the oil filter on the front of the engine where they catch a lot of air but on the Vision the oil filter is in the back where it gets almost no air flow.

Teach
Posted 2008-07-07 2:15 PM (#13034 - in reply to #12866)

Visionary

If you are riding a big VTwin you are going to pick up engine heat. Its not a matter of getting rid of it but rather how best to adapt. The Vision is by far less heat restrictive than the HD 96 which will take the skin off your legs. I've found that by sliding your foot forward and to the outside of the boards elimintes most heat concerns. Not a bash on HD its just a issue with their crossover pipe.
Someone mentioned lean engines making heat and I'm sure everyone here has noticed how blue the rear cylinder pipe is as reflecting in the front belt guard. I'm a little reluctant to mess with it though since I'm averaging 51-52 mpg. I haven't had to pull over yet because the heat was burning me. Unfortunately that wasn't the case with my Road Glide which took the flesh off the inside of my legs twice in slow riding situations.
golfer
Posted 2008-07-07 2:32 PM (#13037 - in reply to #12866)

Cruiser

I am coming off 2 Ultras, 1 stock, and one with true duals...The Ultras are slighlty hotter in your butt and upper body area than the Vision. But the Vision will cook your lower legs and feet right off! I would take the Ultra heat over the Vision heat anyday. But I wouldn't take the Ultra over the Vision in general. So, heat gotta be put up with. But it is absolutely ridiculous how hot my calves, ankles, and feet get on the Vision. Not just hot, roasting!
pollolittle
Posted 2008-07-07 2:36 PM (#13038 - in reply to #12866)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Dang, if you are roasting, throw some meat on and lets have dinner!
Spock
Posted 2008-07-07 3:09 PM (#13043 - in reply to #13037)

Tourer

Carrollton, TX

golfer - 2008-07-07 1:32 PM I am coming off 2 Ultras, 1 stock, and one with true duals...The Ultras are slighlty hotter in your butt and upper body area than the Vision. But the Vision will cook your lower legs and feet right off! I would take the Ultra heat over the Vision heat anyday. But I wouldn't take the Ultra over the Vision in general. So, heat gotta be put up with. But it is absolutely ridiculous how hot my calves, ankles, and feet get on the Vision. Not just hot, roasting!

It is best to wear boots as this will block the heat in these areas. I ride my bike to work most days and I wear dress slacks and a dress shirt to work with dress shoes and thin socks. The lower wind deflectors and the highway pegs make all the difference in the world. If it is too hot for you spend $400.00 on these two accessories and will enjoy your investment in the Vision much more.

The pre 2007 Harley Ultras were not too bad for heat but the 2007 and 2008's are much worse than the Vision. They went to a much leaner running motor in o7 and 08 and the heat factor increased a lot. The Harley guys I ride with have installed aftermarket wind deflectors on their Ultra's which have helped some but they are still pretty hot.

1atom12
Posted 2008-07-07 4:12 PM (#13049 - in reply to #12866)

Tourer

Atlanta Area
Thanks Spock, that's the answer I was looking for. As long as the Vision is cooler than my 2007 Ultra, that's all I needed to know. Even with the power commander to cool it down, my Ultra will cook the inside of your right thigh at a traffic light.
Len Rhymes
Posted 2008-07-07 8:57 PM (#13070 - in reply to #13049)

Jacksonville Florida
I have the CNC aluminum filter and use Repsol 10/40 full synthetic. My temperature indicator did drop 10 degrees on a typical 93 degree day. Now i finally have my Level 2 pipes on which I'm told is supposed to help a bit to. Before the install of the pipes I had the headers, crossover tube and heat shields ceramic coated. This seems to have hepled a bit to. I can't put my hands on the headers but I can hold my hands within a 1/4 in. Which I could not do before. But the real answer is in the fuel mapping. I have been told that E.P.A. requires manufactuers to have a 17 to 1 air fuel ratio. But most techs think it should be 14 or 15 to 1. Thats the next project when the Dyno Jet comes back to Polaris of Gainsville.