Buying a Used Vision
bsquared62
Posted 2008-07-01 8:18 AM (#12656)
Subject: Buying a Used Vision

Cruiser

Woodstock, GA
Hi everyone-

I've been researching buying a vision for a couple weeks now, and put my Road King on the block to finance it. Well, it sold it 2 days, so I was forced to start looking. I found a used Vision Tour Premium for a great price - the owner is scheduled for his 6th back surgery and the doctor told him "no more". It has the S1/L1 kit/slip ons.

My questions are:
1) What are the questions I need to ask the owner and/or the things I need to look for? This is very important in that the bike is in Jacksonville and I am in Atlanta, so when I fly down to pick it up, I want no surprises.
2) What are the "must-have" accessories that I should start looking for? I know I'll need the cover for the fender (when the tour pak is removed) and an i_pod cable - anything else?

Brad
03 Road King
07 Custom Harley Bobber
Top of the page Bottom of the page
victory2002
Posted 2008-07-01 9:44 AM (#12661 - in reply to #12656)
Subject: RE: Buying a Used Vision

Cruiser

Northeast Pennsylvania
First, CONGRATULATIONS. The ride is phenomenal! I have 4500 miles on mine. Put 2000 on it last week from CT. to Tenn. All back roads. No problems, it doesn't like to sit in traffic, though (gets ya warm in a hurry). Rode twistys all day long.
- Check for dimple in side bag. depending on when he bought it. Will notice it more on Midnight Cherry.
- Ipod software upgrade
- Ignition switch (earlier models)
- Gap bigger between seat and bag on left side (warranty issue.. Victory still working it..Once you start riding this bike you'll forget about the gap.)
- Some say the paint is soft, but I don't seem to have that issue...coated mine with Liquid Glass anyway.
- Trunk seems to squeek when mama is not riding.
- Make sure warrantee is transferrable.
- Thats all I can think of at the moment.. still have the smile on my face from riding all week.

Look thru some of the old threads here and you'll get a good idea of what you need to look for. Good luck and good riding.
bsquared62
Posted 2008-07-01 10:04 AM (#12668 - in reply to #12656)
Subject: Re: Buying a Used Vision

Cruiser

Woodstock, GA
Thanks Jon!

Can't wait to get riding! I see a lot of talk about developing a good relationship with your dealer and getting good service. I hope my local dealer will still love me even though I didn't buy from him...but he will get my accessory and service $$!

Brad
Squeak
Posted 2008-07-01 1:37 PM (#12681 - in reply to #12656)
Subject: RE: Buying a Used Vision

Cruiser

Brighton, Colorado
Brad:

Ask him if he had the ignition swith recall completed. Pretty important item. Bike shuts off periodically while you're riding down the road. It happened to me twice in 2 months. Had the recall completed and everything is fine. I have the stage one level one pipes. GREAT sound. Ask him what he uses to keep the tailgunner tips clean. Kind of a hassle. This is bike number 16 for me and it's the best yet.

greg
Codfather
Posted 2008-07-01 3:21 PM (#12686 - in reply to #12656)

Cruiser

Brad DID YOU SEE THE ADD ON THE HOME PAGE, THAT BIKE HAS LOTS OF GOODIES AND I THINK HE IS IN GEORGIA TOO!
bsquared62
Posted 2008-07-01 4:26 PM (#12691 - in reply to #12686)

Cruiser

Woodstock, GA
Thanks for the tips! I did intend on buying that one, but he sold it the day before I called him to say "I'll take it". It's OK, I found another and I can't wait.

Brad
bsquared62
Posted 2008-07-01 4:28 PM (#12693 - in reply to #12656)

Cruiser

Woodstock, GA
Oh, and I asked him about the recall - he has not had it done, so off to the dealer pretty quickly - hopefully I won't stall on the trip back to ATL. Anybody know how much a 2500 mi scheduled service runs? It needs that too...
Big Vic
Posted 2008-07-02 8:09 AM (#12727 - in reply to #12656)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
The oil change kit is just shy of $60 and easy to do yourself (15 minutes) If you pay your dealer I have heard from others that it will run between $90 - $200 bucks. Best to call your dealer and ask for a quote. Other than oil there's not much to do, maybe check belt tension.
Congrats on the new bike.........you'll love it!