One month on the Vision
Teach
Posted 2008-06-30 2:50 PM (#12612)
Subject: One month on the Vision

Visionary

Ok so I just got back from Maggie Valley NC where I racked up around 4500 miles in my first month of ownership. Coming off a HD RoadGlide the Vision is completely different. Here is how it breaks down.
First off its important to know the Vision and HD are entirely 2 different animals, both do certain things great and other things very poorly. Thats alright given the intended buyers are different as well. The Vision was actually aimed at the guys who would buy custom bikes but would like one that will tour. Its not aimed at guys shopping Harleys or Goldwings.
On the road the visions manners are excellent. Get her on the twisties, pop into 4th gear and just roll on an off the throttle, no need for shifting. Brakes are a bit rough and heat up quickly on in-town riding but on the open road she is fine. You won't drag anything unless you are doing something really wrong on even the twistiest roads. My average speed on the BRP was 52mph, the dragon the same, and if you really want a challenge take route 80 south in NC from the parkway to Marion. Let me know if you can maintain a 40mph average speed on that road with its posted 45 mph limit, lol..
Cargo space is ok, but my advice would be to get the luggage rack for the trunk. I had my raingear in a roll on the back seat for lack of anywhere else to put it. The stock seat is good but you will get baboon butt if you don't wear some UnderArmor on hot days. I used an AirHawk for a portion of the ride but mostly for Hiway miles. I've also installed a Utopia backrest for comfort. MPG was at 45 until the bike turned 25-2600 miles where upon it jumped to an average of 51 mpg. Power and torque also made a noticable increase at roughly the same mileage. Engine heat is noticeable during in-town riding and on open road around the lower leg and boot area, nothing extreme even on 94 degree days. I'm 6' tall so I tend to keep my feet to the outside and forward, my toes often resting on the front crash guard. This seems to take care of any heat issues in warmer weather.

Whats bad? Well in a nutshell the radio SUCKS!!! The first thing I noticed was the radio shut down twice when I hit a bump. If it was a big hit I'd have expected as much, but not on small bumps. Then the hand control would switch modes when the volume was adjusted via the bar control. Mid way through the trip the tune button on the bar control would only allow me to back up my Ipod selection, but wouldn't advance. Reception? Whats that? Constantly hunting for stations only to have them go out of range quickly. More to the issue even the WB had issues with reception. Most of the roads I travelled I couldn't pick up WB stations at all. Not a big issue until you find yourself on a 2 mile bridge doing 70 mph in the rain with 60 mph cross-winds that you would have known about had you had the WB. Lets not even talk about the "Premium" sound system that has the crappiest speakers I've ever listened to on a bike. For a 22k bike this simply isn't good enough.
Paved roads are a dream, but if you find yourself on dirt or gravel be alert. The front end weight makes the front tire hunt for a track and any tire groove will do. So you'll be fighting her a bunch. Rain groove, crack fill, and checkering aren't an issue for he Vision.
Overall impression is I love this bike so long as you don't need a radio for anything, you never have to run down a dirt road thats tire rutted, or one thats gravel.

One other note worth mentioning. Twice while leaned over entering a bridge crossing on wet road the front tire did lose traction and slide. The culprit was a metal cross structure both times but it is a bit un-nerving at 60 mph in a posted 35 mph curve, so just be alert.
I'd be happy to answer any questions or concerns this post may raise and the bike is scheduled into the dealership for the radio issue next week. Other than shooting the fricken radio I have no idea what they'll do to fix it... Ride Safe........ T
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2008-06-30 3:27 PM (#12618 - in reply to #12612)
Subject: Re: One month on the Vision

Fountain Inn, SC United States
Thanks Teach! Good to see another owner's review. I've posted a copy of this review in the Reviews section of the site.

As for the radio problems, I heard from a Victory engineer that the control module (the control box under the handgrip) has been the culprit for much of the flakey behavior (inadvertent station or volume changes, etc.). That might also be the case with your radio shutting off on bumps. Victory is addressing this issue with the module manufacturer. Victory will warranty the item.

Jeff
metalguy
Posted 2008-06-30 3:50 PM (#12619 - in reply to #12612)

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
Thanks for your input. I, however, beg to differ on a few counts. Gravel is no more a problem for this bike than any heavy bike I have ridden in it. By big, I mean goldwings, Valkyries, etc. All need some caution, but it really is not a big deal. The radio does indeed suck. The speakers...suck. But parts do drag, and easily, especially if a person comes off of a bike that has a great lean angle to it, and hops onto this one, and doesn't tone it down a bit. ------Metalguy
Teach
Posted 2008-06-30 5:11 PM (#12627 - in reply to #12612)

Visionary

Metalguy, I'm not going to argue with you bud. Lets just say I've ridden for 40+ years, owned several Goldwings (first one in 1981), and several HD Baggers/full dressers, the past ten years on Road Glides. The Vision is by far the worst of the lot for handling on loose ANYTHING be it gravel or dirt. This post wasn't intended to start a debate for or against, just my observations in the past month putting it through its paces. Yes caution is always a consideration, but being aware of minor issues can be the difference between staying upright or going down. I believe if you reread what I wrote I also addressed your concern with dragging stuff. Lets just say I used every bit of the rear tires contact area except the last 1/4" on the left side and never dragged a thing. But hey if you can ride it on the sidewalls great, enjoy. I'm not a great rider just an average Joe enjoying my bike and racking up a few miles. Ride safe..... T

JAM, yep already talked with the dealer and they want to have a look at her next wednesday. They'll get it handled, thanks...... T
tralphaz
Posted 2008-06-30 8:26 PM (#12635 - in reply to #12619)

Tourer

metalguy - 2008-06-30 12:50 PM

The radio does indeed suck. The speakers...suck.

Not as bad as the ones on Harley's, a friend on a '07 Street Glide said mine sounded much better than his. I wouldn't mind some more bass.
GAgirlTrixie
Posted 2008-06-30 8:41 PM (#12636 - in reply to #12612)
Subject: RE: One month on the Vision

Tourer

Savannah, GA -Year round riding!! Yay!
I put Avon Cobras on my bike (front & rear) when I got a nail in the rear tire at 6k. Also, had the tires balanced with Dyna Beads. What a difference!!! Those Dunlops are crap for handling on wet roads... The Dyna Beads give the smoothest ride I've ever experienced. (I didn't even know what a crappy ride I was experiencing until we fixed it!)
Diablo
Posted 2008-06-30 8:45 PM (#12637 - in reply to #12612)

Puddle Jumper

Aurora Colorado
Teach,
Thank you for your post. I agree with you on the points you have made. I also think that when we Vision riders buy a 22,000.00 bike, that we should be able to listen to a radio station being broadcast from Mars. I went to one of my local radio stations one day and was parked right outside the door. I still could not get any reception. To me that is a shame and something that Victory knows about and should be contacting everyone that has spent the 22,000.00 to get it fixed.

Also you did not mention that the clear coat on our bikes is terrible. If you so much as touch it the wrong way, it will scratch. Again Teach thank you for your post and good luck on your next month. Ride safe brother.
Teach
Posted 2008-06-30 8:50 PM (#12638 - in reply to #12612)

Visionary

Tralphaz, your buddy is tone deaf, lol.... Seriously the basic HD sound system is ten times better than the Vision Premium sound system in every aspect, but it becomes EXTREMELY obvious on the road at speed. Don't get me wrong I like the Ipod setup, and really like the fine adjustability of the auto volume control but thats where it all ends. Victory is going to really need to address this issue asap as it appears to be the biggest issue. Of course that speaks loudly for how well they did with this bike.
spursmvp
Posted 2008-06-30 9:46 PM (#12642 - in reply to #12638)

Tourer

O'Neill, Nebraska
I'm the newbie here....but really guys. If the biggest issue we can find is the radio I'm having a good day!

I test rode a standard Vision on Saturday and what a dream. I had radio FM radio reception 35 miles outside of San Antonio, which is pretty good by any standard.

From reading all of these posts I'm already considering the purchase of a low power amplifier and some new speakers for the Vision that I don't have yet. If you want really good radio you ought to upgrade to XM or Sirus. Sorry...but over the air broadcasts just don't cut it for me.

By the way my first Victory was an Arlen Ness Jackpot and it is an awesome bike. Just not meant for 400 mile days.

Stay safe!
metalguy
Posted 2008-07-01 11:02 AM (#12674 - in reply to #12612)

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
Not arguing, just don't have the issues you seemed to have in gravel. Ride safe!----Metalguy
victory2002
Posted 2008-07-01 12:30 PM (#12678 - in reply to #12612)

Cruiser

Northeast Pennsylvania
I appreciate your input. I have around 4500 miles, just took a round trip to Tenn. last week from CT. for about 2000 miles. My buddy had a 2008 road glide. What a trip! I couldn't get enough. I agree with you on the radio and the grip controls, I've found myself just using the vol. control on console because the hand side changes the song when I use that. I'll wait until Victory comes up with a fix. I've never been in a position with any of their bikes where a problem wasn't corrected thru warranty. I just don't want to get off mine for that fix just yet. I'll wait until before I have to put it up for winter. Haven't had a problem with gravel and dirt but thanx for the heads up. The wife enjoys riding with the taller windshield, we agreed that I would put it up when going over 55 mph..keeps the wind from buffeting around her ears..she's pretty tall. The back trunk is so conveniant that I keep it on all the time, although its a bit squeeky when going over bumps without the ol' lady. So, for 22,000 dollars I'd say I got a great deal and if I had to put up with an annoyance until it got fixed, I'd pick the WB and radio, before the ride, engine, transmission, aerodynamics and so on. Hey did I mention My buddys HD broke down on the trip. We took a day off waiting for the part to arrive, inner tubing down a lazy river drinkin' beer and relaxing. Enjoyed the overnight stay using the HOG card.
varyder
Posted 2008-07-01 3:19 PM (#12684 - in reply to #12612)
Subject: RE: One month on the Vision

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Great review Teach.
radioteacher
Posted 2008-07-01 10:46 PM (#12717 - in reply to #12612)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
I have test equipment that can determine if the antenna is the problem or if the radio is just deaf.

Give me a few weeks for the dust to settle and I can test the radio on AM, FM and the weather band. I will need someone with a service manual to send me the pages on how to connect to the radio's antenna jack and one speaker.

Teach
Posted 2008-07-01 11:38 PM (#12719 - in reply to #12612)

Visionary

Thanks for the kind words folks. My Vision is kinda an experiment and review process so I have been extremely picky about everything with regards to assessing this bike. So far I love it and am completely happy with the purchase even if the radio is sub-par. The bike more than makes up for the radio in performance, but I'd still like to see the radio issue resolved.
One thing I did leave out of my review is that I did not come across a single Victory dealer in any of the cities or towns I passed through in travelling from Erie Pa to Maggie Valley NC. Now mind you I'm sure there were a few, I just never saw so much as a billboard for one. Sure would like to see Victory produce a dealer catalog similar to what Harley has. At least when out on the road we'd know where the nearest one could be found if we had an issue.
Spock
Posted 2008-07-02 12:00 AM (#12722 - in reply to #12719)

Tourer

Carrollton, TX

Teach - 2008-07-01 10:38 PM Thanks for the kind words folks. My Vision is kinda an experiment and review process so I have been extremely picky about everything with regards to assessing this bike. So far I love it and am completely happy with the purchase even if the radio is sub-par. The bike more than makes up for the radio in performance, but I'd still like to see the radio issue resolved. One thing I did leave out of my review is that I did not come across a single Victory dealer in any of the cities or towns I passed through in travelling from Erie Pa to Maggie Valley NC. Now mind you I'm sure there were a few, I just never saw so much as a billboard for one. Sure would like to see Victory produce a dealer catalog similar to what Harley has. At least when out on the road we'd know where the nearest one could be found if we had an issue.

I am not sure why you and some others are having radio problems. I live in Dallas and FM and AM reception is strong and clear but I still listen to the iPod or XM 99% of the time. Even though I have traveled allot I have not tried he FM or AM in other markets as I am always listening to the iPod or the XM radio.

If you have a GPS you can download a listing of all the Victory dealers across the country. On my Garmin Zumo 550 I can bring up the list at any time and it will show all the Victory dealers starting with the ones closest to where I am at the time. This is a must have when traveling.
Web Mobile
Posted 2008-07-02 1:40 AM (#12723 - in reply to #12612)

Cruiser

Island Lake, Alberta, Canada
Hey Spock, I to have the Zumo 550 & have tried to find the victory /garmin download. Could you post a hint? As this imfo could be great on a long trip. Don't know as to radio reception as I have the Garmin XM kit, so I would have to say it works fine on ser. #6066, but the cruise surge sucks & front brake starting to growl in the 30 C. heat. So back to work for me & the dealer for the Vision.
bsquared62
Posted 2008-07-02 8:55 AM (#12729 - in reply to #12612)

Cruiser

Woodstock, GA
Teach - are you in the northern GA/western NC area? If so, we should hook up and go for a ride!

As far as the radio, I couldn't get but one station to come in on the test model at the dealer. But as with others, I probably won't listen to it much with the iPod. As far as the sound, I've spent a lot of time with my fellow HD riders (yes, I still have one - it's my bar hopper), most of which have Road Glides or Street Glides. The stock radio is definitely better than the Vision's, but more importantly, it seems to be infinitely more upgradable. You can buy a Sony replacement head with a wiring harness that fits right into the stock one made for the Harmon-Kardon one. By doing so, the change in ohms to one that is more available, means you can buy almost any high quality speakers.

I'd love to be able to expand on the Vision's stereo, but I know nothing about it. It seems to be some proprietary thing that limits my options. Is there a hookup for an external amplifier or subwoofer control? Can I buy some nice Polk Momo marine-grade speakers and install them? You'll get infinitely better sound with a couple of simple changes. The J&M's that everyone talks about are "ok" (I installed them on my old Ultra Classic), but they aren't a significant enough upgrade to make it worth it (IMHO). Maybe that's not the case on the Vision, not sure.

This post is probably a little misplaced, but just continuing the thought from the thread...

VisionTex
Posted 2008-07-02 9:11 AM (#12730 - in reply to #12719)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Teach - 2008-07-01 10:38 PM

Thanks for the kind words folks. My Vision is kinda an experiment and review process so I have been extremely picky about everything with regards to assessing this bike. So far I love it and am completely happy with the purchase even if the radio is sub-par. The bike more than makes up for the radio in performance, but I'd still like to see the radio issue resolved.
One thing I did leave out of my review is that I did not come across a single Victory dealer in any of the cities or towns I passed through in travelling from Erie Pa to Maggie Valley NC. Now mind you I'm sure there were a few, I just never saw so much as a billboard for one. Sure would like to see Victory produce a dealer catalog similar to what Harley has. At least when out on the road we'd know where the nearest one could be found if we had an issue.

If you don't have a GPS and your in need of a Victory dealer when out on tour, call the 1-800 number on your VRA card. Tell the person you contact where you're located and that you want the nearest dealer. They will let you know who is around you. I've done this and it works. Take care.
Spock
Posted 2008-07-02 9:18 AM (#12731 - in reply to #12723)

Tourer

Carrollton, TX

Web Mobile - 2008-07-02 12:40 AM Hey Spock, I to have the Zumo 550 & have tried to find the victory /garmin download. Could you post a hint? As this imfo could be great on a long trip. Don't know as to radio reception as I have the Garmin XM kit, so I would have to say it works fine on ser. #6066, but the cruise surge sucks & front brake starting to growl in the 30 C. heat. So back to work for me & the dealer for the Vision.

Here is the site you can downoad all the POI for the Victory dealers in North America as well as other manufactures. http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/poi/

For those of you that are having problems with erratic cruise control operation. Try this Cruise Control Cable Lash Learn Procedure:

1. Press and hold the resume and on/off buttons on the cruise control switch. 
  2. Turn the ignition key to on. 
  3. While holding both buttons, start the engine.
  4. After the engine starts, watch the cruise indicator lamp on the indicator display
    until it goes out.
  5. When the cruise control lamp goes out, release both buttons at the same time. 
  6. Press and hold the resume button. The cruise control indicator lamp should
    illuminate. 
  7. Listen for a brief increase in engine RPM (very slight RPM increase) as the cruise
    control module performs the procedure. The cruise control lamp will go off during
    this procedure. 
  8. Release the resume button when the engine RPM drops down to idle speed and
    turn engine off.

This procedure is used when replacing the cruise control cable, but try it. Maybe it will help. This info is right out of the service manual and it states that failure to perform this procedure will result in erratic cruise control operation. This procedure takes any slack or free play out of the cruise cable where it connects to the throttle body.

Teach
Posted 2008-07-02 9:33 AM (#12732 - in reply to #12612)

Visionary

Great download website for dealers, thanks!

Hey since someone brought the paint clearcoat scratching up, I was wondering if ANYONE has made a warranty claim for it yet????

ps... someone asked if I was in the GA/NC area.... No sorry I'm in PA, but I do ride down that way every summer. Maybe we can hook up next year for some riding.

Edited by Teach 2008-07-02 9:34 AM
Web Mobile
Posted 2008-07-02 11:57 PM (#12787 - in reply to #12723)

Cruiser

Island Lake, Alberta, Canada
Thanks for the dealer download site.

Retried the cable lash numerous times, no go, dealer go. It's getting worse ( or Im' noticing it more ), now in all gears.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-07-04 8:16 AM (#12855 - in reply to #12637)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
A few days ago i rode with a goldwing to a local ralley. Where we rode to my radio didnt work at all!! No radio stations. The goldwing got them all... I was embarrassed and turned the radio off as if i didnt want to listen to it.. lol So right now im thinking about XM or Sirus. Im toying with the idea of getting a NON-Vision version. So i could take it from bike to car. i cant see paying for XM in the winter when the bike is just sitting there. (im from the North East). And if i dont go with the Vision Xm i would now have a choice in what brand and what type. i heard there is DVR type of sirus rados that will save your favorite bands to the unit! I didnt know if the vision Xm was just a high priced standard unit, or if it had advanced features like being able to dvr your favorite bands and listen to them later. My radio where i live is almost completely useless.

Diablo - 2008-06-30 8:45 PM

Teach,
Thank you for your post. I agree with you on the points you have made. I also think that when we Vision riders buy a 22,000.00 bike, that we should be able to listen to a radio station being broadcast from Mars. I went to one of my local radio stations one day and was parked right outside the door. I still could not get any reception. To me that is a shame and something that Victory knows about and should be contacting everyone that has spent the 22,000.00 to get it fixed.

Also you did not mention that the clear coat on our bikes is terrible. If you so much as touch it the wrong way, it will scratch. Again Teach thank you for your post and good luck on your next month. Ride safe brother.
bsquared62
Posted 2008-07-04 9:03 AM (#12858 - in reply to #12612)

Cruiser

Woodstock, GA
Both XM and Sirius offer the "DVR" style unit. They tend to be a lot more expensive, but you could record what you want and simply throw it in the dash compartment and off you go. You won't have control over the stations that way, so alternatively you could mount it to the handlebars using a RAM mount. I've heard of varying degree of success with that. Also, check out the pictures of the bike in the Buy/Sell area - it has a fairing mounted Sirius unit.