GAH!!! BSOD (Blank Screen of Death)
Breaker
Posted 2008-06-28 4:00 PM (#12524)
Subject: GAH!!! BSOD (Blank Screen of Death)

Iron Butt

Western WA
Well, with 3200 miles on the bike, it happened to me.

Here is the scenario:

Waiting in line at road construction, I turned the bike off. Sat for about 5 minutes, started the bike with no problem, and sat idling for about a minute and a half. The line started moving, I went to accelerate and. . . . everything went dead. Turned the key off and on - still nothing.

The cars behind me in line were pleased.

Waited about 30 seconds, turned the key on and low and behold everything was back! Hit the starter and she fired right up with no problems. Purred like a kitten in fact. I tentatively hit the throttle and she took off like her peppy self. I rode for the next few minutes a bit nervously, but everything was fine.

About 40 miles later I fill her up with gas and the wife and I head back on the highway. In a few minutes I notice a strong smell of gas. So, I pull over, turn the bike off and give her the once over. Open the gas tank and realize that I may have been a little eager at the gas pump and over-filled her. I wasn't too worried, this was one of our hotter days here in the Pacific Northwest, and I had experienced the same thing on my other bikes under similar situations.

So, back on the road we go. She is running fine and dandy. I figure the earlier problem was just a 'hiccup' of the electronics and don't think about it again.

We put another 50 mile or so on the odometer, climbing up a twisty mountain pass and the bike is running great, just cruising right along.

I come to a stop sign, come to a complete stop, roll on the throttle and. . . .

Serious, serious issues.

I have next to no power, the bike is sputtering and popping - it's just ugly to say the least. We have no choice but to turn around and head back to the dealer ASAP. The power never improves, and our gas mileage plummets. But no smell of raw gas. The radio and the displays are tripping, and then going back to normal.

Ugh.

So, our baby is in the shop this weekend. And if you live here you know how painful that is - it really is one of the first clear and hot weekends we've had this spring and early summer.

Still, all-in-all it could have been worse.

The bike has had all the recalls/updates performed, and was in about a week ago for the 2500 mile service. I watched the gas go in the tank and there was no discoloration, nothing indicating water or other containments, and I use 92 all the time.

I'll update the thread with the resolution.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dr_reloader
Posted 2008-06-28 10:35 PM (#12543 - in reply to #12524)
Subject: Re: GAH!!! BSOD (Blank Screen of Death)

Tourer

, FL United States
dude
IndyVision
Posted 2008-07-01 12:04 AM (#12648 - in reply to #12524)

Tourer

I've had several "blips" with the electronics. Today, my average speed indicator said 5.7 and would not update. I fired the bike up Saturday and both trip indicators, average miles per gallon, trip timer, everything reset itself to zero.
Rebel
Posted 2008-07-01 9:20 AM (#12659 - in reply to #12524)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
The only weird electonic glitch I'm getting is that sometimes my radio will "remember" what function (iPod, Am, FM...) it was on when I turn the bike back on, and sometimes it just automatically resets itself to FM or Off. I'm hoping that getting my audio software updated to the latest-greates will fix that. If my dealer can figure out how to download it from the website, that is...
metalguy
Posted 2008-07-01 10:57 AM (#12672 - in reply to #12524)

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
Breaker...bummer! I carried the torch for you up to the summit of Chinook! We had to have a Vision to represent, after all. Mine is in the shop right now, getting the 7500 mile service done. My radio has some of the quirks. It will sometimes reset to "off" when I turn it back on, and other times, it stays where it was when I shut it off. Thankfully, it has yet to have ALL the electronic bugs...But the iPod cable will most likely be replaced when I get it back today, as it just doesn't work properly. I hope the new one does!! Breaker, you and I need to do some riding together. PM me, and let me know when you can, ok?-----Metalguy
Diablo
Posted 2008-07-01 12:21 PM (#12677 - in reply to #12524)

Puddle Jumper

Aurora Colorado
I continue to have a problem with my I-Pod just stopping. However if I turn off the main control to the radio and then turn it back on the I-Pod starts right back where it left off. I can tell you that it is a pain in the buttttttttt.

I only use my I-Pod do to having no reception with my radio. If anyone in Vision land knows of a fix for this problem, please let me know. I am willing to even buy something after market if it will fix it.
Breaker
Posted 2008-07-01 3:27 PM (#12688 - in reply to #12524)

Iron Butt

Western WA
Okay...here is the latest. Just got off the phone with the dealer.

Let me preface this by stating that I'm no wrench, and don't pretend to be. If I can bolt it on or follow directions I'm fine. Mechanically beyond that I'm a babe in the woods. What the dealer told me sounds reasonable.

They said that an ignition coil wire was not installed properly and had come loose and was arching to the coil. Therefore I was only running on one cylinder. (Which is exactly what I thought with the power loss and plummeting MPG)

They had to order "several" parts, (I don't know which ones, we didn't go into detail at this point), and my bike is going to be out of commission until July 9th or so. Ugh.

Metalguy, we are going to have to wait awhile on that ride.
bobbybhb
Posted 2008-07-01 3:32 PM (#12689 - in reply to #12524)

Cruiser

CALGARY ALBERTA
just curious as to what your vin numbers are?/? Early or later production? Thanks BB
Breaker
Posted 2008-07-01 4:26 PM (#12692 - in reply to #12524)

Iron Butt

Western WA
Can't remember right off the bat Bobby. It was a later production. You can find it in the "VIN Numbers" thread. I posted it there.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-07-01 6:31 PM (#12697 - in reply to #12524)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
honestly what he said made sense... and thank god it was a easy fix. i just traded in a vulcan 2000 for stalling all the time on a big trip. I was told by kaw in my case it was a tps sensor and all my parts for that bike was in Japan and would take weeks to get them in. So i said i have enough of this "my parts are on the other side of the planet stuff" and got a Vision tour Premium.
metalguy
Posted 2008-07-02 10:28 AM (#12736 - in reply to #12524)

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
July 9th??? WOW. Well that sux. Hey, at least they FOUND a problem. It would be worse if they just said they couldn't duplicate it. I did recieve a new iPod cord, but the service guys couldn't get their iPod to cut out like mine did on about every ride.... So I will see how it works today. Thee G/F and I are starting our weekend early, and heading up to Port Townsend today for some fun. I think I got my Chinook pass video fixed, finally!-----Metalguy
Breaker
Posted 2008-07-02 12:19 PM (#12746 - in reply to #12524)

Iron Butt

Western WA
Enjoy metalguy. Get some pictures if you can.