Doubting my riding abilities.....
GAgirlTrixie
Posted 2008-06-27 10:52 AM (#12468)
Subject: Doubting my riding abilities.....

Tourer

Savannah, GA -Year round riding!! Yay!

Ok, so hubby, son & I took off to go to the mountains of NC 2 weeks ago. Me & my 11 year old son on ViVi, hubby leading on his Wing, both bikes fully loaded, an for 5 days in the mountains. We get about 40 miles north of our house (in the middle of BFE, mind you....), and I get the dreaded tire wobble of a rear tire going down. I have the CB/intercom on my bike, but hubby & I can't talk to each other for some reason (I just got the cord lowers in 2 days before we left for the my headsets, and hadn't had time to work out the problem.) I tell dear son through the intercom, "Hold on and be still", as I watch "The Big Black Wing' as I call him, get smaller and smaller in the distance, ignoring my honking horn and flashing lights. There's not even a shoulder on the road or a paved driveway or parking lot to pull off into. So, I limped Vivi on, at about 15-20 mph. About 1 1/2 miles down the road, hubby realized that Vivi wasn't in his rearview, so he slowed. I caught up to him, and had the boy jump on with dear old Dad, while I limped ViVi to the nearest gas station, 10 miles away. Thank goodness this happened 40 miles from home, and not 40 miles from the cabin we were going to, as I at least knew were the gas station was. We get there, and their air compressor is dead. Fortunately, there was a guy in the parking lot with a compressor in th back of his truck. So, we patch the tire (hubby always gives me crap for carrying all "that silly stuff" in my sidebags!), fill her with air, and I limp her back home, stopping 3 more times for air before getting home, 50 miles later. We own a MC repair shop, and I could've went down and got a new Dunlop tire put on, but our shop in 30 miles South of our house. It was almost noon by now, and we had about 350 miles to go to the cabin in NC. So, I switched bikes, to my VTX, and off we go (sure I have a spare tire. It's on my other bike!!!). Meanwhile, I had my guys order me a set of Avon Cobra's for my bike, to be put on when we get back..... All's good, I slay the Dragon, have a blast scraping floor boards (and even the frame!!) on my X....

So, we get back, get busy with some fundraiser's that we have going on, a new mechanic that is coming to work with us, etc. Finally, yesterday, they get the boss's bike on the lift. Go to take off the rear tire, and the left side swing arm bolt has worked loose, can be unscrewed with just your fingers, and is about halfway cracked through the middle and bent! Thanks goodness for that roofing nail in my tire!!! If I had went to the mountains on that, I'd have went down for sure!! The bike had been handling a little sloppy lately, especially at low speeds. I had checked tire pressure, etc. Never thought to check all of the bolts. So, my word of advice, if you are experiencing handling problems, please check that all of the bolts in your suspension
are tightened correctly.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
amessen
Posted 2008-06-27 11:50 AM (#12471 - in reply to #12468)
Subject: Re: Doubting my riding abilities.....

Cruiser

Belding Michigan
Glad you made it safely home I have seen some bad outcomes from flat tires also thanks for the heads up on the bolts I wil be checking mine.

Hope you have lots of fun with the Vision it is a great bike. Archie
PalmBeachRider
Posted 2008-06-27 12:05 PM (#12473 - in reply to #12468)

Cruiser

Florida
Wow Trixie, I'm glad you're okay. Not all of us are as mechanically talented as you are and one of the reasons I gambled on the Vision was the JD Powers ranking of Victory. I'm wondering if this is some sort of defect or if it's unique to your bike. Did anything happen before the tire problem and before you started noticing the handling issues? What are the warning signs we should look for?

Has anyone else taken off the tire and inspected the bolts and the frame?
Breaker
Posted 2008-06-27 1:12 PM (#12477 - in reply to #12468)

Iron Butt

Western WA
Wow Trixie, that was close.

It's funny how many times a (smallish) problem has led me to find something REALLY wrong.

Thanks for the heads up. It's a good reminder for all of us.
devilboy
Posted 2008-06-27 2:19 PM (#12479 - in reply to #12468)
Subject: RE: Doubting my riding abilities.....

Cruiser

Central Florida
Glad you are OK! Stuff happens and the flat was for a reason....
Ride safe and Keep the rubber side down.
IndyVision
Posted 2008-06-27 7:23 PM (#12490 - in reply to #12468)

Tourer

Did you tell the dealer about your problem? If the bolt failed, that could be a warning sign for other Vision owners. Either bad bolts, or an assembly error at the plant.