Drawbacks to buying a Vision
Smitty
Posted 2008-06-26 10:39 PM (#12448)
Subject: Drawbacks to buying a Vision

Cruiser

Okay, here's the deal....I currently have a Vic Kingpin listed on Ebay and when it's gone I'm buying something to tour on with the wife.

I've ridden the HD Ultra, the Beemer R1200RT, the Triumph Tour, and the Gold Wing besides riding the Vision at my dealers for over an hour.

Problem is, I like 'em all, but with four in the garage now I can't afford to buy 'em all.

Understand, I love my Kingpin, but with a new one on the way it's probably got to go, so I'm asking all of you for any problems you've had, or any drawbacks you see to buying a Vision.

My personal drawback is I think all three colors are fugly...and If I buy one it's gonna' get painted another color....no offense to those of you who like the Cherry Red, the Gray Ghost, or the Black.

And just how hot does the thing get....will it roast ol' Chet's nuts on a long hot ride?

Thanks in advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sidecar
Posted 2008-06-26 11:07 PM (#12449 - in reply to #12448)
Subject: RE: Drawbacks to buying a Vision

Puddle Jumper

Maple Park, IL
I've had mine for 6 weeks and 3500 mile and have no complaints. Just
Sidecar
Bearcat
Posted 2008-06-26 11:38 PM (#12451 - in reply to #12448)

Cruiser

Prescott Valley, AZ
After 3800 miles I cannot think of a drawback to buying a Vision. As the old saying goes "you get what you pay for" and that is certainly true of the Vision. Try and equip a BMW, HD, or Wing with the stock equipment of a tour premium and see where the prices fall. All day comfort, weather protection that really works, looks that will stop people in their tracks, and more power in a stock setup than most of us would ever want (although it is nice to roll on a bit more throttle than is needed now and again)!

As far as the heat I do not have a problem at all, granted I do not live down in Phoenix but it does get a bit warm here and I've not experienced any more heat radiating from the engine than I felt on either of my last two Nomads. If you want a great Touring bike no need to look further.

Ride Safe, Ride Often!!
PalmBeachRider
Posted 2008-06-26 11:48 PM (#12452 - in reply to #12448)
Subject: Re: Drawbacks to buying a Vision

Cruiser

Florida
Let's be honest here. The Vision is s first generation model and numerous memebers have posted complaints of one type of another. Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoy my Vision, but it HAS shown its share of warts. The chrome was months late...if it arrived at all. The dealers are for the most part, not kept informed by the factory, and for me, the heat issue on the lower side is miserable near the floorboards. It appears the heat is coming from the pipes as they exit the engine.

With all that said, it's as perfect a road bike as I've ever ridden. But it takes any company a product cycle or two to get all the bugs out.
divesharc
Posted 2008-06-27 12:05 AM (#12453 - in reply to #12448)

Cruiser

VA
I can't say that the heat will roast the doo-dads, but the lower legs get a little warm on a hot day. But, move your feet out a few inches and you get a really nice breeze. That said, that same thing is what makes it great for riding in the winter months because there is so little wind. Can't have it all I guess. Other than the heat, I can't say anything bad. I'v got 2500 miles, adn love it. Most confortable, fun, nimble handling bike I've ever ridden. Granted, I haven't ridden any of the newer wings, but I rode my buddies ultra classic and my other buddies BWM tourer. The only thing I could ask for was better weather and more time off!!!
buddahead
Posted 2008-06-27 12:10 AM (#12454 - in reply to #12448)

Cruiser

SF Bay Area
The only problem...? Having to spend the time to answer all the questions about the bike, and keeping the bike clean enough so that people can take pictures of the bike when parked, and having cagers pace me to get a better look on the freeway.

The benefits...? The main one is having the coolest American made touring bike on the road... comfortable, fast, and reliable.

The fun...? the look on some RK riders face when him and his wife/girlfriend pull up next to me and she stares and says "WOW".

The pain...? my right leg from the heat with my foot on the ground. I may try some heat wrap under the outer shield.
docvtx
Posted 2008-06-27 1:37 AM (#12457 - in reply to #12448)

Cruiser

Santa Maria CA
no real drawbacks. I now have over 14,000 miles, a trip of 6,100 miles coast to coast. With that said this one of the most fun and enjoyable bike I have had. My wife has a gl1800 wing. I like the Vision a lot better. Between my wife and me we have owned 19 bikes over the coarse of time, the Vision is the best hands down.Heat on the right is not a big deal, just move your leg foward a bit. Oh yeah it will draw a crowd when you stop, and watch out for looky lou going down the road.
varyder
Posted 2008-06-27 7:34 AM (#12459 - in reply to #12448)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Smitty, first, read my 10K review which is linked below. I've tried to share from my perspective that first 10K. Mine's in for the 15k at the moment and waiting an answer back on warranty claims. Simply, the Audio volume is low for me, and the CB sometimes doesn't seem to start up. I've got the cute little dimple in the right cheek (bag cover), which ain't so cute on my Vision. Windshield has some distortion around the edges, but I can tolerate since mines in the lower position all the time. Nickel/dime stuff, but would like to get them resolved before the year is up in November.

On the heat, I notice it, but I keep reminding myself, it is an internal combustion engine for crying out loud. If I'm to straddle a 92 hp engine with the exhaust running next to me, I've got to expect some heat. I just remember to move my feet away, which is not a problem. I wear boots and jeans so it really doesn't bother me even on 100degree days.

I think the Vision would be easily painted as it can be stripped fairly easily. I've got the Midnight Cherry, the most popular color. I would like to powder coat the brush alumnum trim another color that would go good with the Midnight Cherry.

I only speak for myself as you can see in my review, but I'll repeat my feelings here. Even if nobody else ever wanted to ride a Vision again, I would still keep mine, confirming my belief in that it was made just for me. So, as far as drawbacks, the only one I see right now is that mine is still at the dealers and I've not ridden for 10 days and they don't have loaners.

amessen
Posted 2008-06-27 9:08 AM (#12465 - in reply to #12448)

Cruiser

Belding Michigan

OK here goes. I have ridden in the last year a GL1800 and a GL1500 as well as a Tour Glide Harley I have missed riding a BMW because I can not get my legs tucked in around the bike. I am 6'10" tall and 400 lbs this bike is the best I have ridden in the last 20 years. I have been a member of the GWRRA and a chapter director as well as President of a CMA chapter so I have had lots of access to a lot of bikes. I sold two wings and the Harley to get this bike and have not been sorry once. I finally feel about ridding and enjoying the ride the way I did in 1971 when I bought my first 350 Honda. That bike made my heart sing and I never forgoten that feeling but had lost the zing in the last few years. I even considered getting rid of my stable and buying a convertible boy am I glad I gave it one more chance. This bike has it all the power the handling and most of all the feeling of riding a bike that you are part of not just something to sit on. I hope what ever bike you buy you enjoy but for me and mine the Vision is it. Arcihe
Codfather
Posted 2008-06-27 9:43 AM (#12466 - in reply to #12448)

Cruiser

Hey Smitty If you think the color is fugly, your a Harley man. Have fun on that little shakey dog.
Codfather
Posted 2008-06-27 9:43 AM (#12467 - in reply to #12448)

Cruiser

Hey Smitty If you think the color is fugly, your a Harley man. Have fun on that little shakey dog.
excelboy10
Posted 2008-06-27 12:30 PM (#12476 - in reply to #12448)

Cruiser

Birmingham, AL 08 MC Tour Premium 2012 Bronze Mist
After 7,500 miles on mine, I as still very much in love with this bike. I've owned several Goldwings going back to the 1200's, 1500's and a couple of 1800's. I went through the HD stage with 2 Heritage softails, a Road Glide and then a Ultra Screaming Eagle. None of them compare to this bike overall.
That being said, I'll repeat what has been mentioned by others here. Dealers are struggling to appear professional because they aren't up on this bike. It's the most technologically advanced bike they've ever touched and whether through their own choosing or Victory's lack of insistance, haven't been trained throughly.
I've got the dimple in the saddle bag, low CB volume, left saddle bag doesn't align properly and the local dealer hasn't been very responsive to my issues. I'm waiting for it to get too hot or too cold (may never happen) for me to ride for a while so I can take it and leave it to have these small items fixed.
You may want to see what version 2.0 looks like in the 2009 model before jumping, but I do recommend making the jump!

Edited by excelboy10 2008-06-27 12:31 PM
bigwill5150
Posted 2008-06-27 1:39 PM (#12478 - in reply to #12448)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
If the 3 colors are not for you, I'd just wait until next years models come out. By the time you get your bike sold and are ready to buy, details are probably going to be out on the next gen. With a little luck, you might be pleased with what they've done. I love mine but I don't think that I'd buy one and have it painted. There are a lot of peices on the bike to tear down and paint. It's gonna cost you major $ to have it done right without doing the work yourself. As far as drawbacks go... There is always some. I won't lie to you and tell you it's the perfect bike for anyone but myself. The only MAJOR complaint I have is plastichrome! I hate plastic peices under the guise of chrome. When I pay $200 or $300 for a peice of chrome, it NEEDS to be CHROME. I don't care how much more it weighs. If I wanted a bike to sling around, I wouldn't have bought one that was 9ft long! The other lesser complaints I have are that the radio is XM ready (and I already have $ tied up in Sirius) and its iPod Nano interface. None of these are production problems. They were engineered this way for specific reasons. The heat issue is not going to be a problem when it's cold out and I'm thankful for the engine warmth. Personally, I haven't owned a bike that didn't make my legs warm while riding. Thats usually why I installed forward controls in the past (and being able to stretch out little was more comfortable); however, the Vision's floorboards have SO MUCH real-estate! I can move them around and use the chrome tips as rests if my feet/legs get hot. Anyway, that's my take on the whole thing. If you wanna ride a Harley; be a Harley rider. They have a few more color options and the Road Glide is supposed to be a pretty good tour bike. It's not as comfortable for me per se and I sat on everything I could get my butt on (dragged my g/f with me to get the idea of what its like with a passenger!). I'm not a Victory salesman. Honestly, I prefer that fewer Vision owners exist. I like having a unique bike and I like long rides alone or maybe with a passenger (but not with a pack of others). It's the way I roll. When I see someone on a Hayabusa, Concourse, Road King , etc. I still know we have more in common, than say: A car, truck, SUV or whatever. Have fun finding your "fit". I did!!!
okthenbye
Posted 2008-06-27 6:00 PM (#12489 - in reply to #12448)

Cruiser

Stockton, Ca.
The only drawback I had with the Vision was waiting for it to come in. It's been uphill from there. The large floorboards afford foot placement in various positions so heat is really not a problem. The side vent wings also adjust to direct cooler air where it is needed. You can add lots of goodies to suit your needs but if you have a rider you may want the passenger floorboard extensions for their comfort. Legs resting on the saddlebags is uncomfortable for the rider and abraisive to the clearcoat on the bags.
Smitty
Posted 2008-06-28 9:02 AM (#12506 - in reply to #12466)
Subject: Codfather, it's so nice to see an attitude much like

Cruiser

Codfather - 2008-06-27 9:43 AM

those who ride H-D's; the very reason after well over 100 motorcycles in my life I've never owned one.

Just because I think the colors on the Vision are bland at best doesn't make me any less a Vision rider than you a H-D guy with your "mine's perfect and the only one" attitude.

Have a nice day, and I'll have fun on whatever I buy and on the Agusta and Ducati in in the garage.
Smitty
Posted 2008-06-28 9:08 AM (#12507 - in reply to #12448)

Cruiser

Smitty - 2008-06-26 10:39 PM

Okay, here's the deal....I currently have a Vic Kingpin listed on Ebay and when it's gone I'm buying something to tour on with the wife.

I've ridden the HD Ultra, the Beemer R1200RT, the Triumph Tour, and the Gold Wing besides riding the Vision at my dealers for over an hour.

Problem is, I like 'em all, but with four in the garage now I can't afford to buy 'em all.

Understand, I love my Kingpin, but with a new one on the way it's probably got to go, so I'm asking all of you for any problems you've had, or any drawbacks you see to buying a Vision.

THANKS TO ALL OF FOR YOUR RESPONSES, EVEN CODFATHER TELLING ME TO BUY A HARLEY. I already liked the Vision and found it very comfortable with enough power and accessories. It seems that the three major complaints are the heat (unbearable to some), less than great audio, and a lack of factory support to dealers on parts (similar to my MV Agusta). This appears to be a great forum, with a great bunch of riders and one I'll participate on if I do decide on the Vision. Again thanks, and here's a link to the Kingpin I have for sale on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycles___Victory-Kingpin-Americ...

Edited by Smitty 2008-06-28 9:10 AM
Fergy
Posted 2008-06-28 9:32 AM (#12509 - in reply to #12448)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX

Smitty - 2008-06-26 9:39 PM My personal drawback is I think all three colors are fugly...and If I buy one it's gonna' get painted another color....no offense to those of you who like the Cherry Red, the Gray Ghost, or the Black.

I agree with you on the other two colors, but how can Black be fugly? Give me a break. Black is the best color for a bike period. Anything else is a a futile attempt to improve upon Black.

And just how hot does the thing get....will it roast ol' Chet's nuts on a long hot ride?

The HD was the hottest and crappiest bike I've ever ridden and should be ridden only as a last resort in the case of an emergency; walking or running is preferred before riding the HD. The BMW and Gold Wing are both hot. At least the Gold Wing has power unlke the BMW which is a real wimp. The Triumph is fuglier than anybike I've seen, should be painted dark green with John Deere written on the side will go through rear tires like no tomorrow. The Vision can be hot in stop-and-go traffic but is tolerable. Just keep it moving and you'll be fine. It looks great, rides better than any touring bike you can find, and all in all you'll be a real stud to own one. Not sure what you'd be if you bought any of the others but you'd be less than a stud. There, does that help?

Indiana RoadRunner
Posted 2008-06-28 11:37 AM (#12512 - in reply to #12448)

Tourer

Dale, Indiana
Best thing about a Vision is that you can park it in front of a Biker Bar and be cool since it's an open V-Twin that looks powerful and sexy, and you can also park it in front of a Cracker Barrel Restaurant with the old Gold Wing folks because it's a touring bike!
You don't dare park a Gold Wing in front of a biker bar because it looks like it was stolen or at best broke down, and a Harley in front a Cracker Barrel looks like some old guy just doesn't want to admit he's old.

Plus, it just sucks with a Vision.

1. You can go roaring around corners and sharp curves like a sports bike, with momma on the back, and carry all her naughty toys in the saddlebags for a pleasant night at the motel.

2. You don't get time alone because at every stop people will come up to and ask questions and gawk!

3. You get a woody every time you ride the Vision (see number one).

metalguy
Posted 2008-06-28 1:41 PM (#12514 - in reply to #12448)

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
Yah, I just hate mine....7500 miles since November. Winter riding, Baby!!! Most comfy bike, and best handling of the three I was interested in, and tested. Those being the GL1800, the Vision, and the Harley ultra. I really expected more out of the HD, and was very dissappointed. It was hot, even in November! I can only imagine what one of those would be like, riding on a hot day. I would agree, if you don't care for the present colors, wait for the '09's to come out. Maybe they will have new colors! I do wish that mine was a nice, medium metallic blue sometimes....I guess I will have to settle for the mile-deep metallic cherry. *sigh*
Codfather
Posted 2008-06-28 2:31 PM (#12517 - in reply to #12448)

Cruiser

Sorry to get you so fired up but the word fugly drives me nuts. Sounds like you ride some nice bikes, a Vision would be great addition to your collection.
Smitty
Posted 2008-06-28 3:56 PM (#12523 - in reply to #12517)
Subject: Codfather, sorry to hit a nerve with "fugly"....

Cruiser

Codfather - 2008-06-28 2:31 PM

Sorry to get you so fired up but the word fugly drives me nuts. Sounds like you ride some nice bikes, a Vision would be great addition to your collection.

But I really don't like the colors on the Vision. Or maybe it's the brushed aluminum crap since someone on here posted pics of a total Cherry Vision which didn't look bad at all.

I do have a great painter that does my cars and is now doing my Ironhorse Flip Up trailer I could get to paint the Vision.

Think it would stand out if done in a hot pink or lime green?

In '07 Honda had a great dark blue on the GW that I think would look great on the Vic. I'll probably end up waiting for an early report on the 2009. I'll be very disappointed if they don't have different colors.
dr_reloader
Posted 2008-06-28 10:53 PM (#12545 - in reply to #12448)

Tourer

, FL United States
This is my first touring bike... I was always into off road bikes then on to my sport bikes. It had been about 10 years since I had been on a bike the I rented a HD Heritage, and test drove a Kingpin, but purchased a Vision after test riding it. I can not comment much on the touring bike other than this. It does get hot around the lower part of the legs. I live in FL. I purchased highway pegs (heat went away). I can ride from around Sarasota to Orlando and my back does not hurt like when I was a wee bit younger riding the sport bike taking the same trip. This bike handles like a smaller bike and is a joy to ride like the sport bikes. I find that it does not handle like a crusier or a sport bike but different (better) but still different. I had to get momma on the bike and the only was is if she is comfy. She sits almost reclined in the back. This is a big bike but you would not know it while riding down the twisties.
space_cwboy
Posted 2008-06-29 9:07 PM (#12581 - in reply to #12448)

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
Smitty -

If you paint it hot pink, Trixie would hunt you down and steal your bike. If you do it in lime green, name it Kermit. Better yet, don't do either. The Vision "stands out" pretty well all on its own, even with the limited current color selection. I'm considering painting all my "aluminum" a different, contrasting color, then maybe overlaying some ghost flames over it in the original Midnight Cherry. Just been kickin around ideas, and I might actually act on them once the snow flies this fall.
Smitty
Posted 2008-07-01 12:19 AM (#12649 - in reply to #12581)
Subject: Cowboy, re the paint colors

Cruiser

space_cwboy - 2008-06-29 9:07 PM

Smitty -

If you paint it hot pink, Trixie would hunt you down and steal your bike. If you do it in lime green, name it Kermit. Better yet, don't do either. The Vision "stands out" pretty well all on its own, even with the limited current color selection. I'm considering painting all my "aluminum" a different, contrasting color, then maybe overlaying some ghost flames over it in the original Midnight Cherry. Just been kickin around ideas, and I might actually act on them once the snow flies this fall.

The Vision does look better with the brushed aluminum painted the same color....and if it's getting the attention many on here say it does, just think what would happen if it were Kawasaki green.

I've just about decided to wait for the '09's to come out to see what color's they'll put on them this year. That, and they might have some of the multiple flaws fixed.
Lifeisgood
Posted 2008-07-01 1:19 AM (#12651 - in reply to #12649)
Subject: RE: Cowboy, re the paint colors

Cruiser

Victoria, BC
Smitty - 2008-06-30 9:19 PM
I've just about decided to wait for the '09's to come out to see what color's they'll put on them this year. That, and they might have some of the multiple flaws fixed.

Ditto!