Acknowledgement Club
ScoreBo
Posted 2008-06-22 7:07 PM (#12212)
Subject: Acknowledgement Club

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
John here, new to the Vision (just picked up my Steel Gray this past Monday) after trading in my Kingpin and need some therapy.

I got rid of the KP after the Mrs and I have been riding a lot and the comfort just wasn't there. I looked at the Ultra Classic... sigh... My buddy calls them the Geezer Glide. Not for me; I don't fit the HD stereotype and it is just blah. That is, unless, you have $35K for the Screaming Eagle version.

Something very interesting has happened since I got rid of the Kingpin, very few people give me the rider acknowledgement that I used to get on the Pin. I have been told that I no longer have a motorcycle, but rather a 2-wheeled car. "Say what you want, we'll ride all day with out our butts being on fire!"

Is it just the area I live (Northeast Ohio) or is this a widespread problem?

Thanks,

John

Edited by ScoreBo 2008-06-22 7:35 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Miles
Posted 2008-06-22 7:37 PM (#12215 - in reply to #12212)
Subject: Re: Acknowledgement Club

Tourer

Mount Vernon, WA United States
1. It's a regional thing

2. Why would you care? Do you care if people acknowledge the car you drive (assuming you have one)?

If people return the wave to me on my bike, I figure it's because they are just someone acknowledging someone else with a common interest, or I waved to them so they are returning the wave, just being polite. If someone doesn't wave back, I don't put much thought into it. I guess if I figured they weren't waving because of what "type" of motorcycle I was on, I could care less. Not the kind of people I'd care to associate with anyway.

devilboy
Posted 2008-06-22 9:27 PM (#12222 - in reply to #12212)
Subject: RE: Acknowledgement Club

Cruiser

Central Florida
wave if you feel like it, and if they don't wave back F em!!!
do what makes you happy!!!!!!
I get waves from most baggers HD, GW and some BMW.
sport bikes are much lower percentage...
we are all bikers together and if they don't acknowledge you,who cares????
I have never had a bad word said about my Vision.
MANY HD riders love it and no one has ever said it was ugly(to my face)
IndyVision
Posted 2008-06-22 9:34 PM (#12226 - in reply to #12212)

Tourer

Am I the only person that gets tired of doing the "wave thing". I really don't care who waves at me or if they wave at all. If I pass a fellow Victory rider, now then I'll definately wave and maybe chase them down to say hi.
Spock
Posted 2008-06-22 10:11 PM (#12228 - in reply to #12226)

Tourer

Carrollton, TX

IndyVision - 2008-06-22 8:34 PM Am I the only person that gets tired of doing the "wave thing". I really don't care who waves at me or if they wave at all. If I pass a fellow Victory rider, now then I'll definately wave and maybe chase them down to say hi.

I find most bikers wave to me on the Vision. I do get more sport bike riders wave when I am on the Vision. I do find some Harley riders won’t wave. I had a guy on a Road King today pull up alongside me at a stop light and wouldn’t acknowledge I was there. We took off and he had to show off his loud pipes so he nailed it and so did I and I blew by him like he was standing still. I could see his mystified face in my rearview mirror. When he caught up to me at the next light he acknowledged me by saying that Vision moves pretty good for such a big bike. I said it is amazing what can be done when a company innovates.

ebayjoe
Posted 2008-06-22 10:16 PM (#12230 - in reply to #12212)

Cruiser

East Ohio
I had more waves when on a goldwing, at least it was recognized, I figure by the time they try to figure out what Im on, I'M GONE, but it is getting more talk time whenever I stop anywhere, a lot of people are interested in the looks

Super Steel, east Ohio
Indiana RoadRunner
Posted 2008-06-22 11:26 PM (#12235 - in reply to #12212)

Tourer

Dale, Indiana
I wave at everybody (even Mopads and scooters).

I find more waves giving by couples on tour bikes.

Stopped at a Harley dealer in Bloomington, Indiana with some friends today. The place was crowded with Harley folks and they all were nice.

Sure wish I could stop a a Victory dealer and find as much stuff in stock as I do at those Harley dealers.
Did check prices with my buddy for a new Harley. Damn those things are pricey. That HD name makes everything high ... way high.

Edited by Indiana RoadRunner 2008-06-22 11:28 PM
varyder
Posted 2008-06-23 1:48 PM (#12255 - in reply to #12235)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

aahhh, let's all do the wave, starting from the left coast to the RIGHT coast, one, two three, go....!

Yes, I find myself not waving as much as before because few return the favor. Could it be they just don't know, there are so many new riders? Could it be they are a Harley rider and you're not their kind? Don't know and don't care. Could it be you're not their kind at all, ie, sport, Wing, blah, blah, blah. Don't feel discouraged about no one waving, its about your ride and your journey, not what others think. I enjoy talking, and helping all bikers whether they want it or not. I've stood next to Harley riders at a gas pump and they didn't even look my way. I walked up to them and asked them how they were doing, where they were riding and so on. I even complimented on their bikes and how good they looked. Before I left though, they begin to ask serious questions about the Vision. They liked the look, and asked about the comfort. Then they asked the price and was surprised it was so low. But you know, it wouldn't have mattered what they thought or said, because I know what I got.

I've been faced to face with Harleys at lights and they wouldn't act like you were there, but rest assure they are looking out of the corner of their eyes behind those Harley shades wishing they could get a closer look or ride. Not to be out of sorts here, but I've not had rear-end issues since getting the Vision, though I thought it was a way of life on the GoldWing. Aaahh the price we pay to ride, I can't imagine what a Harley rider has to pay to ride.

I've only had one negative face to face encounter when a pick-up with Harley stickers on it pulled up beside me at a traffic light. He asked how I liked it? I told him it was great and rode great. His reply was something like, it looks funny and it will never make it. Then the light turned green and away he went. My wife said "that was mean." I simply said, "where's his bike?" She laughed.

Ride because you love it!

Mine's still at the care center waiting to hear back from Victory on warranty issues, 7 days without my Vision makes one weak.

pollolittle
Posted 2008-06-23 2:54 PM (#12256 - in reply to #12212)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Oh, I might catch you, betta get those two wheels under you.
varyder
Posted 2008-06-23 3:10 PM (#12257 - in reply to #12256)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

pollolittle - 2008-06-23 2:54 PM Oh, I might catch you, betta get those two wheels under you.

I'm losing about 500 (s)miles a week. I'm trying to take this the best I can, no one around me understands. They think I can live without riding, but I'm starting to turn my head away when I see bikes go down the road because it makes me feel sick. I even stuck my head out the window the other day when my wife was driving and she told me to stop embarassing her. I sit and watch video's I filmed on rides with a broom stick in my hands as handle bars and a fan blowing in my face, but it is not the same. I'm going down to Pep Boys and see if I can pick up one of those 49cc choppers to ride to the mailbox in the mean time.

And to keep with the theme of the post, I'll sit by the road and wave to other bikers as they pass by my driveway.

Rebel
Posted 2008-06-23 4:40 PM (#12260 - in reply to #12212)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
Must be the area you live in. I haven't noticed any reduction in the amount of "acknowledgement waves" that I get. Around here, almost everyone that rides--no matter what they ride--waves.
Diablo
Posted 2008-06-23 5:40 PM (#12264 - in reply to #12212)

Puddle Jumper

Aurora Colorado
I think we have all heard, Is that a Jetsons Bike. I think people for the most part love the Vision. I get more people including HD owners stop and ask me questions. The important thing is, that I love my Vision and I don't care if anyone else likes it. They can wave at me as I watch them in my rearview mirror.
Indiana RoadRunner
Posted 2008-06-23 6:48 PM (#12267 - in reply to #12212)

Tourer

Dale, Indiana
I busted my knuckles two weeks ago.

After my bike riding vacation I got back into my big truck and forgot what I was driving. First bike I saw I proceeded to do the bike wave.
Smashed my knuckles on the truck door I did!

Later I rolled my window down and did the bike wave a few times until I realized no one was waving back. …. I got over it.

badnvegas
Posted 2008-06-23 10:10 PM (#12277 - in reply to #12212)

Cruiser

Colorado
I think its all in timing and where you are. Sometimes I don't wave not because I didn't appreciate the jesture and I wanted to, it was simply because I was doing something else, maybe the car two lengths ahead tapped his brakes, or I want to make sure I am ready when the shredded tire I see in the middle of the road ahead isn't flipped up and I need to take evasive action. I wonder as I am riding how many people think I am a Victory snob because I don't wave being preoccupied with my own thoughts or focused soley on the road. Man there are a million reason why a guy didn't wave, why is it we all take it personally? or isn't the bigger question why we take it negatively? John your ok.....let it ride and try and see the world through their eyes, give them the benefit of doubt most people appreciate the lifestyle.
Breaker
Posted 2008-06-24 4:52 PM (#12324 - in reply to #12212)

Iron Butt

Western WA
I wave at everyone. . .and I mean everyone. Kids on bicycles, mopeds, scooters, old f*rts like me rocking on porches, tractors, dogs . .you name it.

If they wave back - great. If they don't that's okay too.