Burns from the bike
amessen
Posted 2008-06-16 4:40 PM (#11935)
Subject: Burns from the bike

Cruiser

Belding Michigan
I have really long legs and have ridden GW's for a long time as well. I found that I want to paddle my bike at slow speeds this is not a problem with the wing as nothing is exposed that is hot. I found that the Vision has an exposed pipe on the right side by the drivers floorboard.

If you paddle this bike and don't have boots on you will find yourself with a burnt leg this is just a note to the unwary not a downer or any issue normally but is something to watch out for.

I have a great ride and I love my Vision I also have one of the best dealers I have ever worked with so if you are anywhere close to Grand Rapids MI let me know and I will hook you up. Archie
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mike s
Posted 2008-06-16 5:56 PM (#11937 - in reply to #11935)
Subject: Re: Burns from the bike

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
At 5'7" with a 27" inseam, I've not had an issue with this. Yes, the pipes do run along the right side and yes my leg will occassionally come in contact with them. However, what I am touching is a heat shield, so the true temp is reduced and not nearly hot enough to burn my leg through my jeans.
devilboy
Posted 2008-06-16 6:37 PM (#11938 - in reply to #11935)
Subject: RE: Burns from the bike

Cruiser

Central Florida
Never had a problem with the exhaust temp(5'11" with 32 inseam).
I guess that is a good reason to wear protective boots at all times and not dress like many GW riders I have seen with shorts,t shirts,sandals and 3/4 helmet. That seems to be the dress code in Central Florida for GW.
Indiana RoadRunner
Posted 2008-06-16 8:18 PM (#11946 - in reply to #11935)

Tourer

Dale, Indiana
Paddle the bike?

I find it easier to start motor to get her going.

space_cwboy
Posted 2008-06-16 8:26 PM (#11947 - in reply to #11935)

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
Lots of rain in the midwest......streets must be really flooded!!!!
RotnRat
Posted 2008-06-16 8:35 PM (#11949 - in reply to #11935)

Cruiser

South of Houston Tx
I just got my Vision last Tuesday, Thursday my wife and I decided to take a short road trip. First we had to go to Md Anderson to visit with our son, when we left the hospital I made a wrong turn due to being in a parking garage that I wasn't familiar with. I ended up going straight through the big middle of downtown Houston in a one lane street right next to the metro train thing. It was bumper to bumper through several blocks, my jeans were shorter than I would have liked and I was wearing half height boots, I was in some serious pain before we finally got to the interstate. The first pit stop we made along I-10 headed to Louisiana was a Loves country store, They had some real boots on display and I am glad they did, I got me a pair and haven't had a problem since. I never touched anything on the bike but the heat coming off the engine-exhaust-road here in Houston is murder!
Crawford
Posted 2008-06-16 11:11 PM (#11954 - in reply to #11935)

Tourer

Regina Saskatchewan Canada
The first thing that should happen once your motorcycle starts moving is plant your feet on the floorboards. Paddling or foot dragging is not something one should ever do. Too many things that can go wrong if you do!

I've gotten so good with the balance of the Vision that after coming to a full stop at a stop sign and the traffic is clear I don't even put my feet down.
varyder
Posted 2008-06-17 7:48 AM (#11960 - in reply to #11954)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Crawford - 2008-06-16 11:11 PM The first thing that should happen once your motorcycle starts moving is plant your feet on the floorboards. Paddling or foot dragging is not something one should ever do. Too many things that can go wrong if you do! I've gotten so good with the balance of the Vision that after coming to a full stop at a stop sign and the traffic is clear I don't even put my feet down.

Now Crawford, it not bad to bring to light a situation that may be a hazard, but to share something that is wrong in some places, if not all, in the same post, well.... a complete, 3-point stop is required for motorcycles, that is, at least one foot touching the ground to be a legal stop.

I find that I can't paddle fast enough...

pollolittle
Posted 2008-06-17 9:31 AM (#11963 - in reply to #11935)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
My tires stop rolling, Complete Stop. Please explain three point stop for legal reasons. I have read through the "Official Motorcycle Handbook for the State of Tennessee and haven't found anything that states you must have a three point stop to be legal. If I am in my car do I need a five point stop. I am like crawford and have been able to balance and come to a complete stop and then motor on. I don't see the problem.

As for paddling, do what makes you comfortable, BE WARNED, the rear tipover is not forgiving!!!!!! I was kinda doing the paddling thing and right foot went too far behind and as my heel came up it caught the rear tipover and I thought I had broke my foot. I went ahead and hit the throttle just to move on, but I was ready to wimper with the best of them. Dang that hurt. Surprisingly when it cuaght I didn't go over, it just kinda lurched and straightened out.
I have learned, keep feet forward, no more than directly under me and then elevate feet vertically, do not drag them. OUCH! Normally, I have them out front and as soon as I start moving I just elevate to floorboards.
amessen
Posted 2008-06-17 9:49 AM (#11964 - in reply to #11935)

Cruiser

Belding Michigan
Be aware I am not avocating the paddling but with the Wing is was not a matter of choice but survial. Some may be good enough that they can overcome the tendency to tip over but losing a zero mile per hour wreslting match with a motorcycle dings your dignity at the least. I have not had any problems with the balance on the Vision so this was just a bad habit. The heat sheild is all well and good but after 10 or 15 minutes of running if you touch your bare skin to that heat sheild you will have second degree burns on the skin ask me how I know. I went back to wearing boots I hate shorts so that is not an issue. I am sharing not to look like an idiot but so some one else will not have to deal with the burn if they remeber my pain. Archie
pollolittle
Posted 2008-06-17 9:56 AM (#11965 - in reply to #11964)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
How do you know?
Codfather
Posted 2008-06-17 2:44 PM (#11966 - in reply to #11935)

Cruiser

You never ride a motorcycle without long socks,long pants and midcalf boots period......NEVER PADDLE
Codfather
Posted 2008-06-17 2:44 PM (#11967 - in reply to #11935)

Cruiser

You never ride a motorcycle without long socks,long pants and midcalf boots period......NEVER PADDLE
Codfather
Posted 2008-06-17 2:44 PM (#11968 - in reply to #11935)

Cruiser

varyder
Posted 2008-06-17 3:32 PM (#11970 - in reply to #11963)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

pollolittle - 2008-06-17 9:31 AM My tires stop rolling, Complete Stop. Please explain three point stop for legal reasons. I have read through the "Official Motorcycle Handbook for the State of Tennessee and haven't found anything that states you must have a three point stop to be legal. If I am in my car do I need a five point stop. I am like crawford and have been able to balance and come to a complete stop and then motor on. I don't see the problem. As for paddling, do what makes you comfortable, BE WARNED, the rear tipover is not forgiving!!!!!! I was kinda doing the paddling thing and right foot went too far behind and as my heel came up it caught the rear tipover and I thought I had broke my foot. I went ahead and hit the throttle just to move on, but I was ready to wimper with the best of them. Dang that hurt. Surprisingly when it cuaght I didn't go over, it just kinda lurched and straightened out. I have learned, keep feet forward, no more than directly under me and then elevate feet vertically, do not drag them. OUCH! Normally, I have them out front and as soon as I start moving I just elevate to floorboards.

I knew that this comment about the stop would be met with challenge. True enough, though I would like to read the statutes that cover motorcycles and stops, I think it would say that the motorcycle must be stopped with at least one foot on the ground to be "stopped". The drivers manual and other material for MSF do not address this so you can take that one on the surface. However, skill aside, and showing off to others does not make it a legal "stop". I came across a post or two where they were arguing this very point after one guy who prides himself in never putting his feet down got a ticket because he didn't. But be sure, do not open your car door to put a foot down, it won't fall over but with your luck you'd lose a door and then blame it on me.

You also warned me a little late pollolittle in that I have got a scar on my boot and suffered through the MSF when I was inching forward with me toe on the ground and my foot got under the rear tip over, ouch.  I won't do that again for sure.

pollolittle
Posted 2008-06-17 3:56 PM (#11973 - in reply to #11935)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
My apologies, varyder, with so many miles under you, I thought you knew already. I did that in about the first thousand or less miles. Thought I was gonna have to pull over and just wail and hop around for a little while. All I remember, a mile later I was still shaking my head and foot from the pain. AAAAHHHHH OOOOWWWW!!!! Now that this has happened to more than one of us, I must insist upon Victory put a sticker in that location to remind all of not putting their boot there. May even have to go so far as to install curb like feelers to remind you to pick your boot up before it goes to far back. I don't want anyone hurt or my bike taken off the market for safety infractions. How do I get this done, formal letter, lawsuit, telemarketer, etc.

P.S. For all you sensitive types just kidding.
amessen
Posted 2008-06-17 5:01 PM (#11975 - in reply to #11965)

Cruiser

Belding Michigan
The 3" burn on my calf reminds me even thro it is mostly healed now. Archie
g1nomad
Posted 2008-06-17 6:01 PM (#11979 - in reply to #11935)

Tourer

SC, Bluffton
What the heck is paddling?
Fergy
Posted 2008-06-17 8:07 PM (#11997 - in reply to #11935)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX
Always wear boots and if you expect to get caught in traffic, make sure you have an ice pack for your crotch.
pollolittle
Posted 2008-06-18 7:55 AM (#12016 - in reply to #11935)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Fergy agree with the ice pack, I keep checking the switch to see if the seat heater is on.

I wonder if there is some way to use some kind of gelled ice gizmo that is reusable to just give some relief.
varyder
Posted 2008-06-18 9:03 AM (#12023 - in reply to #11979)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

g1nomad - 2008-06-17 6:01 PM What the heck is paddling?

Not that I'm qualified to answer this, because I do not paddle my bike. I've seen it done and personally would never really attempt it. But is no more than "walking" your feet as the bike moves forward slowly in slow moving traffic or approaching a stop. I guess it is in anticipation for that sudden stop in slow moving traffic and having your feet on the ground already or to keep it steady as you inch along. I hope I got that right.

pollolittle
Posted 2008-06-18 10:40 AM (#12026 - in reply to #11935)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
clap, clap, clap
visionary
Posted 2008-06-18 11:01 AM (#12027 - in reply to #11935)

New user

Texas
I did a long ride over Memorial Weekend and after about hour 5 my right calf was hurting pretty good (wearing boots that go above the ankle and jeans). After getting to my destination, I checked out my calf and had a first degree burn. The next day I used an Ace bandage on my calf and had no problems. On a subsequent long ride I wore my other boots (they go to just the top of my calf) and didn't have a problem. I've talked to a friend about wrapping the pipe under the shielding or having the shielding coated with a ceramic. If needed though, the Ace bandage is still the cheap route. Wish I didn't need to do this at all.
varyder
Posted 2008-06-18 11:01 AM (#12028 - in reply to #12026)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

pollolittle - 2008-06-18 10:40 AM clap, clap, clap

bow, thank you, bow, thank you, thank you very much, wave.

PalmBeachRider
Posted 2008-06-18 1:20 PM (#12030 - in reply to #11935)

Cruiser

Florida
Once, I rode without boots...just rubber-soled tennis shoes and no socks. The heat on the right side was more than noticeable, it was painful. While H-Ds dissipate the heat towards the seat, for some odd reason the Vision sends the heat towards the right ankle. It gets very hot, even at cruising speeds. This bike can't be ridden without jeans, boots and socks.
PalmBeachRider
Posted 2008-06-18 1:21 PM (#12031 - in reply to #11935)

Cruiser

Florida
Once, I rode without boots...just rubber-soled tennis shoes and no socks. The heat on the right side was more than noticeable, it was painful. While H-Ds dissipate the heat towards the seat, for some odd reason the Vision sends the heat towards the right ankle. It gets very hot, even at cruising speeds. This bike can't be ridden without jeans, boots and socks.
varyder
Posted 2008-06-18 1:36 PM (#12032 - in reply to #12031)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

PalmBeachRider - 2008-06-18 1:21 PM Once, I rode without boots...just rubber-soled tennis shoes and no socks. The heat on the right side was more than noticeable, it was painful. While H-Ds dissipate the heat towards the seat, for some odd reason the Vision sends the heat towards the right ankle. It gets very hot, even at cruising speeds. This bike can't be ridden without jeans, boots and socks.

I think pollolittle would beg to differ. He's a member of some club that rides wearing less than most when they ride... But during the winter in Va there was absolutely no heat issue, ask me how I know...